Do you Macro?

Just wondering if any of you have run macros in you gaming experiences and how you feel about them?

I used them once in one of the games I played because i'm not big on crafting; at least what i've experienced of it so far. I never learned how to macro to the point where I could leave a char logged on all night and pop levels etc.

I don't like the whole macro-farming thing that some do in games at all. But for some professions, like dancer in SWG you could script moves to flow from one to the other and create a quite fluid routine for you character.

So if its allowed and you can use them to say.. make you character do a martial arts kata, fancy sword twirling routine for a swordsman, show off spell casting for a Mage or so ... you know; just fluff. I say they're cool.

Other than that the whole frarming thing shows the typical misuse of a good thing by a few.

Wonder will it be allowed in HJ? To what extent? And whats your take on it?

Someone gimie a shout. I just recently learned how to do the sig thing. I fell like a bonafied gamer now lol!

I ran a macro once when I was playing Lineage 2 in open beta. My macro was to log in.

By far and large, I ran macro's all the time in SWG. Mainly 'cuz my two main characters were an Architect/Artisan & an Entertainer. Macro's were most necessary unless you wanted to die a horrible death of clicking, worse than the type found in crafting in DAoC.

In DAoC macro'ing is allowed, for single commands, and no outside macro'ing was allowed. (macro keyboards, etc are highly frowned upon and if over-used for "certain types of macro'ing", banned). In WoW, I've set up small macro scripts for this and that, nothing fancy.

I agree with you in that, macro'ing should be allowed, to a degree where it isn't "cheating" per se. Crafting, if in the game, should have elements that would make it pointless or hard to macro, and not be monotonous or boring making players want to macro. Macro'ing things like "/stick $target" or "/follow $target" to stick to someone you have selected, would be great... allowing macro's that enable you to stay logged in all night crafting/harvesting etc... are honestly dumb in my opinion. That's the #1 reason I still have over 520 logged hours for SWG, because most of it was me macro'ing... harvesting minerals... while I slept, and went off to work. If players need to do that, there's something wrong with the game.

~ Jaraeth

I never got the hang of macros for graphical games, but I did run a travel macro in GSIII. It was just too much darn typing for one person to do!

The only macros I've ever used, are ones that type things when I'm casting a spell. Like "Rezzing <target name>!" when I start to cast a rez.

I dunno how to do anything more complex than that, heh. I don't believe in automating complex actions, myself.

the only time I ever used macros was in FFXI because it was very easy to learn and do. And I didn't have to memorize any advanced and complicated scripts or code.

i run macro's in dragonrealms all the time. but im at my computer when i do it. in fact, simu has stated that its ok to do this to help give you a break from typing. i believe it's also been stated by them that if you are caught scripting out in the wilds and are killed, its your problem. if someone see's you scripting and kills you because you are, its your problem. and that if its reported, you may get the boot.

thing is, in dr, if you die and are not at your keyboard, you have a huge risk of loosing all your hard earned [ or not so hard earned ] skills, equipment, even character. and to me, the exp. gain in areas i don't have to worry about being killed by npc's is just not worth the risk of having some other player kill me.

although, i think it would be great to set up hunting parties to go slay scripters that are obviously away from their keyboard.

Originally posted by fips@Jun 20 2006, 10:29 PM
although, i think it would be great to set up hunting parties to go slay scripters that are obviously away from their keyboard.

Now THAT'S a great idea!
Scripter Bounties

Triple XP for slaying scripters caught in the act lol!!

I think anything other than very simple commands, such as /stick or /follow should be banable offences. As for people that use macros for crafting, I have to agree with what a couple others have said, If you feel complelled to do that while you are at the keyboard, then you really need to look at your system, it's horrible. As for AFK macroers, I've run across these people in several games. And I do everything in my power to kill them.

Originally posted by fips@Jun 21 2006, 03:29 AM
i believe it's also been stated by them that if you are caught scripting out in the wilds and are killed, its your problem. if someone see's you scripting and kills you because you are, its your problem. and that if its reported, you may get the boot.

This is pretty much entirely incorrect.

In Dragonrealms you are *encouraged* to report people you think are scripting afk, but you are not allowed to just kill them. Otherwise anyone who got reported for killing another for no reason would claim they thought he was scripting.

A fun vigilante approach if you see somebody wandering around doing their thing (and you are a thief) is to slip pebbles into their backpack until you totally overwhelm their encumberance, and leave them twitching on the floor in a pile of drool, to everyone's amusement. ;)

I am not a huge fan of macros. I use keyboard shortcuts (a Diablo habit), but I have never put together a script that runs itself while I am away... because quite frankly I think it's beyond silly to pay for a game my computer gets to play without me.

I never really bothered with AFK-macro´s... I didnt really see the point, as I pay for a game to play it...

Anyway, I remeber back in Lineage 2, there was afk-macros played characters everywhere (or bot´s as we called them). And I really liked to kill them in the most nasty ways I could. Because, when you died in Lineage, there was this big risk of droping something from your equipment. So there was allways a bigger droprate on stuff from players then it was from the mobs hehe. You couldnt just kill someone because that flaged you as a "killer" so you had to pull to much mobs on the poor "bot". Evil, but fun. :Ph34r: :D

Anyway, macros to make things a bit easier ingame or to make you character say stuff when casting spells or simular is ok. I have no experience with MUD´s, so cant say anything about macros in those games...

I extensively used macros in WoW. From equiping my char with different gear, to establishing communications to different parts of the world, macros saved time and increased fun.

I have nothing against them per se, unless they are used to cheat. Giving unfair advantage is not the intended use of macros imho.

I mostly just used macroing for one click text statements. Things like "Please help me I'm going to dieeee!" or "Incoming!" or "I'm almost out of healing spells"

Things you need to say but don't have time to type out before it's too late. lol

I used to Pindlebot in Diablo 2 as well. It was a great amount of fun watching your character run through 500 instances of Pindleskin every night, and to wake up to Wind Forces, and Grandfathers.

Single player games let you do whatever you want to do, even use the cheats in consoles, which I do. :rolleyes: Any cheating you do in no way affects anyone else, as it does in online games.

Originally posted by crisisfox@Jun 21 2006, 08:31 AM

In Dragonrealms you are *encouraged* to report people you think are scripting afk, but you are not allowed to just kill them. Otherwise anyone who got reported for killing another for no reason would claim they thought he was scripting.

A fun vigilante approach if you see somebody wandering around doing their thing (and you are a thief) is to slip pebbles into their backpack until you totally overwhelm their encumberance, and leave them twitching on the floor in a pile of drool, to everyone's amusement. ;)

ya, i couldn't remember what the exact position simu had on it was. but that is funny about the encumberance. i'll keep that in mind next time i come across one.

Originally posted by crisisfox+Jun 21 2006, 01:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crisisfox @ Jun 21 2006, 01:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fips@Jun 21 2006, 03:29 AM
i believe it's also been stated by them that if you are caught scripting out in the wilds and are killed, its your problem. if someone see's you scripting and kills you because you are, its your problem. and that if its reported, you may get the boot.

I am not a huge fan of macros. I use keyboard shortcuts (a Diablo habit), but I have never put together a script that runs itself while I am away... because quite frankly I think it's beyond silly to pay for a game my computer gets to play without me. [/b][/quote]
Man, DR has so much that no game is ever going to have, it makes me sad I will never get that kind of gameplay with gorgeous graphics.

There is difference in macro that U use to put a gear on you or weapon(something that shorten you time to do it) and macro that actualy allowed your char to move and do some stuff while your away.Those kind of macro should be baned forever and those player should never ever play a game.Yes to macros that make your life easyer and no to macros that allowed your char to do anything while your away.

Back