Sci-Fi Doctor Who (BBC)

Jethro

Staff member
On a whim brought the new spin off Class figuring it might be a good intro for some younger relatives. Holy cow they aren't pulling the punches with this one, covering gay issues - two of the major characters are gay, and we do get a sex scene, and enough gore to keep gorehounds baying at the moon.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I dig the old school Dr. Who
I enjoy the Who verse in general but "Doctor Who" for me will always be the era of Tom Baker, Leela, Sarah Jane Smith, and K-9.
On a whim brought the new spin off Class figuring it might be a good intro for some younger relatives. Holy cow they aren't pulling the punches with this one, covering gay issues - two of the major characters are gay, and we do get a sex scene, and enough gore to keep gorehounds baying at the moon.
But is it worth watching? I missed it entirely over here in the States and haven't put the effort into yet to track down if it's available for streaming as the commercials seemed to be targeting a younger crowd.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
The trailer for the 2017 Christmas episode has been released. I'm looking forward to it since it'll be featuring the first doctor. In a 'blink-and-you-might-miss-it' scene, at the end of the trailer it looks like you can see Capaldi at the helm of the TARDIS starting his regeneration.

With Capaldi being the 12h doctor I wonder if the topic of the Doctor being able to regenerate only 12 times will be be brought up. The War Doctor (play by John Hurt and depicted during the Time Wars) would've used up a regeneration as well and I suspect by now the topic is something that just isn't discussed anymore in the 'new Who' verse but, still, it'll be nice if they at least make mention of it somehow.

sci-fi-dude

1963, 1899 called they want every thing back....
A gay sex scene is enough gore for most folks!:ROFLMAO:

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
So, a "teaser" trailer for reveal of the new Doctor Who with Jodie Whittaker has been released.

Can somebody explain it to me? 😕 I mean, is the good Doctor now doing a Flash impression by replacing somebody's pizza box and swapping their newspaper in the blink of the eye?

sci-fi-dude

So, a "teaser" trailer for reveal of the new Doctor Who with Jodie Whittaker has been released.

Can somebody explain it to me? 😕 I mean, is the good Doctor now doing a Flash impression by replacing somebody's pizza box and swapping their newspaper in the blink of the eye?

Dude, dude, lol, Tom Baker is the end all, be all Doctor of all time, to me he made the series interesting and fun, and cliff hanger like. This isn't Dr. Who at all. Maybe it should be called Nurse What? LOL! If these writers get rid of the Tardis, then its over. I will watch it with an open mind, but bubba, she ain't Tom Baker, the king of all Who's.... 40191545_lalla_ward.jpg GenesisOfTheDaleks1.jpg

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
As much as I agree that Tom Baker will always be "Doctor Who", you really need to start watching some shows that are newer than from 40 years ago!😆

screenersam

This is news, Vincenzo, NEWS!
I first heard of Dr. Who around 1970 from a library book about sci fi in movies/tv. they had a picture of Peter Cushing from one of the Dr. Who movies.
I finally got to see the Doctor in early 80s. first one was 'Genesis of the Daleks'. I watched half of it wondering who the curly hair doofus was.
but of course I came to like him. 'Talons of Weng Chiang' might be my all time fave.

sci-fi-dude

As much as I agree that Tom Baker will always be "Doctor Who", you really need to start watching some shows that are newer than from 40 years ago!😆
I'm up to date on the series, but my preference is Tom Baker. If a show was good enough then, then its good enuff now.;):D Now Mr. Kevin, I have a theme song that reminds me of you, its all in good taste of course.:)
enjoy Kevin.

sci-fi-dude

I first heard of Dr. Who around 1970 from a library book about sci fi in movies/tv. they had a picture of Peter Cushing from one of the Dr. Who movies.
I finally got to see the Doctor in early 80s. first one was 'Genesis of the Daleks'. I watched half of it wondering who the curly hair doofus was.
but of course I came to like him. 'Talons of Weng Chiang' might be my all time fave.
Ouch! Not a Tom Baker fan, huh? lol poor Tom. Mmmm-Pizza-krusty-krab-pizza-33032819-512-384.jpg Oh well, its all gravy in the navy....

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
The new season of Doctor Who with Jodi Whittaker is slated to premiere simultaneously on both BBC One in the UK and BBC America in the US on Sunday, October 7. BBC America will actually be showing it twice on that day, once in the afternoon at the same time that BBC One is showing and and then later in evening during prime-time as normal. The plan with the double viewing is to prevent any spoilers from hitting the net before US viewers had a chance to see it so instead it'll premiere in both markets at the same time (evening for UK, afternoon for US).

AlienView

StarGate Explorer
Just saw the new Doctor and it was love at first site!

Before watching I was thinking with all the new superhero female stars would be interesting to see a
female Doctor Who.

And it works!

Netflix used to have all the old series - Watched them all, liked them all.

Missed the last two seasons, not becuase Doctor Who isn't great sci-fi, it is - But mainly because I'm not
a horror story fan - But did like reading H.P. Lovecraft when I was younger - Lovecraft was in a class
by himself for creative imagination.

And now that there is not enough new sci-fi to watch and I've seen almost everything else available
from the past, I think I'll go back and watch the last two seasons that I missed - The Last Doctor was
Doctor was also and excellent actor - and the shows were still quality Doctor Who.

I have high hopes for the new female doctor, like Jessica Alba {Dark Angel] who looked so cute
I didn't think it would work, Jessica Alba did make it work and I bet you the New Doctor will
also work well.........

Doctor Who is off to a bold new start to kick off Jodie Whittaker’s era as the Thirteenth Doctor

"All of this is new to you, and new can be scary,” remarks Jodie Whittaker’s Thirteenth Doctor early in her debut episode, “The Woman Who Fell To Earth,” which kicks off the eleventh (or 37th, depending on how you count) season of the long-running sci-fi show.
And she’s right: change can be scary. But in the case of the Thirteenth, it’s mostly just a whole lot of fun, with Whittaker kicking off her tenure as the time-traveling, face-changing alien hero with flair and grace."

See whole article here:
Doctor Who is off to a bold new start to kick off Jodie Whittaker’s era as the Thirteenth Doctor

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I had a chance to watch the premiere and I have to agree with @AlienView, so far it seems like if it's off to a good start. The first episode at least had a Doctor that was happy to be in the moment of interacting with humans and figuring out a monster mystery instead of the dark overly dramatic story lines we've seen with most of "New Who". Growing up in the era of Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee I've always preferred the stand-alone 'monster-of-the-week' type episodes of Who versus the story arcs that are drawn out over the full course of a season (or longer! :eek: ).

RobertLCollins

Rocket Ranger
Writer
I quite enjoyed "The Woman Who Fell to Earth." I thought Jodie got the Doctor right away. I didn't mind the darker tone, but I'm happy to see a change. I also thought there was some good building of the "friends" in a way that didn't slow the pace of the episode. Looking forward to seeing how the new series progresses.

Jethro

Staff member
Audience figues are in free fall for season eleven of new Who, not entirely sure Chibnall will be around post this season considering a lot of reviews are getting nasty.

Top Bottom