Music Does your town/city still have an "Oldies" radio station?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I'm in the Philly region (or "Philadelphia, PA" for you out-of-towners :P) and growing up we had some great radio stations to choose from. Even though it went through a few deviations, 98.1 has been mostly serving "oldies" songs. In the late 80's after they rebranded to "WOGL", you could hear anything from 1950's Doo-Wop to early 1980's rock & pop. In the 90's it was expanded to the later 80's as well so you could end up hearing a block of music that included Fats Domino, Jefferson Airplane, Sly & The Family Stone, and Tears for Fears all mixed in. Each subsequent decade more music was added.

It was a station I used to listen to a lot. I think every vehicle I've ever been in since I could drive has always had 98.1 and 93.3 WMMR programmed in it; other stations have come & gone but those two have always been consistent.

Alas, times change. WOGL have changed their format again so now it's basically an 80's only station. Their new slogan jingo is even "Nobody plays more 80's!". Most of the stuff is New Wave & pop with some light rock tossed in. Don't get me wrong, I love the music from that era as does Mrs. Kevin who is the living embodiment of the Bowling for Soup song 1985. :LOL:

These days if I'm not in my car then I'm playing curated music from digital sources and while in the car listening to 80's music is something I don't mind at all but I do miss those days of flipping through stations and hearing a DJ selected block of music that spanned across time & styles. Heck, other than WMMR and maybe one or two others, I'm not even sure how many "local" DJs are even left versus pre-taped segments records out of NY or LA or computer programmed blocks.

What about you guys/gals, do you still have an "oldies" station in your radio market?

FM 92.5 kzps, 98.7 klove, 100.3 fm, Jack fm, all oldies, all great! We have a nice UNT college station at 88.1 frequency modulation playing jazz. great for the shop!:cool:

I listen to 4 different oldies stations in Texarkana--95.1 is KEWL which is oldies, 98.1 is KTAL which is classic rock, 105.5 is KNAS also oldies. Lastly 106.3 is KYGL and also classic rock.

These days I'm down to just a few stations in the Philly area....
  • 93.3 WMMR in the mornings for the Preston & Steve show.
  • 98.1 used to be an "oldies" station but has moved the dial forward to an "80's oldies" station
  • 95.7 is one of those stations that has no DJs, just pre-recorded breaks but they play a good mix of soft rock & pop from the 60's through current.
  • 102.9 WMGK which is mostly classic rock.
  • 92.9 WZML but it is a low power "community" station that I can only get while I'm near work. At home the frequency is a Spanish station so if I don't remember to change the station when I'm closer to work I end up not listening to it that much. It's a shame because of the local stations this one does a really good job of playing stuff from the late 50's to current.
The radio in my daily driver can be programmed with up to 30 different presets or so. That's a bit of an overkill! :lol:

Back