Dominion

Ok so this is my first piece I have ever posted so I hope you enjoy reading it.

I thought I would make a little index of links to the chapters, make it easier to find them. The prologue is directly beneath this:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Epilogue

Disclaimer: As many times as I have used my birthday wish to get the ownership rights to Alias it never happens, I'm just a poor lowly student please don't sue me. On the plus side I did ask my mom for Michael Vartan for my birthday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dominion

Prologue

Though lovers be lost love shall not

While a torch is extinguished the flame continues to burn, burn with an intensity that encompasses everything. That makes the idea of moving on redundant and makes a mockery of every relationship that may attempt to follow. For you have been burned, touched by something so primal that it will hold you captive for eternity. And you are a willing participant in this you allow yourself to be incarcerated because then at least she’s still with you, then at least the feel of her lips against yours, of her sighs and moans when she trembled beneath you are still tangible. This is your life, an imitation, verisimilitude at its cruellest because at least in your world she is with you, in your world she will never leave you. And though what you’re doing cannot really be considered living you are happy to exist here within your fabrication because in the real world you died right along with her. In the real world when you released her ashes yours were released too, your essence spread on the water alongside hers. For it is futile to pretend that you can live without her, that you can live without your heart.

Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again

As long as you stay you both remain, bound by your love and what you were together. This has become your mantra since the day she left, at your weakest moments when you welcome death you hear her voice speaking those very words to you. Those are the times when you wish you could just forget, somehow exorcise her from your mind. But she remains in spite of your attempts and you are unsure whether it is you keeping her here or her refusing to abscond. So you stay alive for her, allow her a semi-vicarious existence all because you have never once been able to say no to her something even death seems unable to change. Gradually days become weeks and weeks merge effortlessly into months and you continue with life letting no one or nothing permeate the surface on which you glide. You have heard the whispers of co-workers that conspicuously grow quiet whenever you enter a room. They converse about your sanity and doubt your love because of the ease with which you have gotten over your supposed soul mate. You do not react however nor offer any explanation to their speculation, why should you defend yourselves to them, these people who saw your partner as nothing more than an asset to your government, these people who knew nothing of the vulnerable, amazing and intelligent woman that changed the axis of your world when she crashed into your life.

You could tell them that in the darkest hours of the night when her memory threatens to consume you and devour you whole you allow her entry. She revives you as she has always done, it is with her that you shall rise again and when she departs as inevitably as the morning comes you succumb back into your version of life. But you do not and you will not because if they have questioned your sanity previously, then they are most likely to believe you need to be committed for seeing your dead girlfriend. Soon enough a year has passed you realise as you catch a glimpse of a colleague’s desk calendar out the corner of your eye. And after three hundred and sixty-five days reality hits, as you acknowledge that you have spent every one of those days without her but every night being haunted by her.

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, but bears it out even to the edge of doom

You read those words as a teenager and scoffed with misunderstanding, to you then love was temporary if it existed at all. It was with arrogance that you believed you would never fall prey to such sloppy sentimentally. Who would have guessed that twenty years later you would bear witness to the kind of love that was being described. But for you the edge of doom has come and gone you stood on the precipice alone and proclaimed your love even then for everyone to hear. But your love has altered it grows still with every nightly visitation from your ethereal spectre as you slip further under her spell. You can no longer distinguish between future, present and past she eclipses everything and becomes the entirety of your life. For you are sure that there was nothing before her and know nothing will come after her.

From living between the memory and the moment you immerse yourself in the memory unreachable to anyone bar her. Your friends the few you had are disappearing as are your family, your best friend holds out longer than most, convinced that he of all people can bring you back from where you currently reside. He even goes so far as to try and take you to a bar and get you talking to some women. It is after this debacle that he finally starts to distance himself, seeing how when he brought you home how you cowered in the corner of your bedroom shouting yourself hoarse for her. That was his breaking point. You nonchalantly accept that they have given up on you, feel that you are as unsavable as you are unreachable. It’s true you are but you have never needed to be saved from her, from her love. They fail to see that without her you were drowning only with her are you more than half alive.

Another year has passed without your notice, this time there are no colleague’s calendars to see; this time you are alerted to the passage of time by her father. He comes to visit for what reason you cannot ascertain until you look into his eyes and see your world reflected there. There is neither the calumny or accusation staring back at you that in all your previous encounters had burned into your mind. Instead you realise that her father, her stoic, unwavering champion has succumb to the memories as you have, he too has forsaken the real world for a place where his daughter is still flesh and blood, where she is more than a star on a wall or a name carved into non-descript marble as memorial. Your first reaction is strangely to laugh, previously you would have been reviled by the notion of having something in common with a man such as Jack Bristow. Now you feel it fitting that the two men who loved her most are unable to comprehend a life without her.

There is however something else to his expression that you had not expected; hope is there, an emotion that you have not experienced for two years and yet you can recollect what it felt like. Pure unbridled hope tells you that the child he fathered has returned to him as more than a concocted fantasy.

“She’s alive Michael.”

‘Of course she is’ you want to reply but don’t irresolute of her father’s reaction. You do not acknowledge either that she lives with you, that she’s been living with you for the past two years. You question what expression is showing on your face as he shakes his head at your bewilderment and lack of reaction and plants both hands on your shoulders trying to infuse his meaning through touch. “I got a call, she’s asking for you.”

And like that the faux imitation world falls away from your eyes and your heart, the real world comes crashing down around you in a barrage of glorious chaos. In your previous forays into the real world over the past two years you found yourself paralysed and depersonalised unable to feel anything besides the gnawing cavity that had taken residence in your chest. For the first time in seven hundred and thirty days you feel your heart start to beat again, you feel life return to you and with it grief, joy, anticipation and fear and you acknowledge that finally you are living rather than just existing.

Before you know it you are in Jack’s car nervously playing with your seatbelt as it dawns on you that you are on your way to her, to Sydney the source of two years of both agonising pain and paradoxical intense happiness. But he is driving too slowly in your opinion and he refuses to pay attention to the various signals you have been giving him since he pulled out of your complex. “She’s not going anywhere Michael, we’ll be there soon.” If you had more presence of mind you may have questioned him about where you were going but location was not your priority, she was.

When you finally arrive you find yourself unable to enter the room that you have been directed to. You pause by the door silently praying that this isn’t all some elaborate hoax because you had failed to cope with losing her once doing it again was not an option you entertained. An infectious giggle reaches your ears from inside the room and you know without doubt whom it belongs to. As you push open the door the giggling stops as she is instantly aware of your presence. Your first look at her takes your breath away and you realise that your memories of her are incorrect for you never remembered just how truly beautiful she is.

“Michael!”

“Sydney?”

Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again

~TBC~

**The quotes in the chapter are taken from ‘And Death Shall Have no Dominion’ by Dylan Thomas and ‘Sonnet 116’ by William Shakespeare**

And that's the first part, please let me know what you think whether it be :smiley: or :(
Thank you for taking the time to read it!! The first chapter will be up soon just need to go over it again.

*icklebit0711* aka Jady T ;)

:thud:

Okay if I had all the time in the world... I'd spend all but an hour of it babbling here about how fantastically AWESOME this fic is. All but the one hour because I really need to get moving on this studying for a test :P

Anyway, need to rush my way through this review, but at the same time, let you know how incredibly amazing that prologue was... How to start? :Ponder:

Okay, I'm stumped for words. I really can't think of what else to say, and quoting is no use, because I'm just going to end up quoting the entire fic and staring in absolute awe! :lol:

*waves pom poms*

You freakin' ROCK dude!! And I'm being honest when I'm saying this, completely and utterly honest, that was just one of the most well written, beautiful fics that I've ever read in my entire LIFE! And dudey... To think that this is going to be continued is too overwhelming to think about right now...

:woot: :woot: :woot:

DUDE!

Gosh, I'm just going to keep repeating myself here, but I really really REALLY need to repeat myself a billion times...

This is <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>AMAZING.</span>

It's amazing, it's beautiful, it's... ARRRRGHHH!!

I have to get a PM, pleeease? :angelic:

:notworthy:

Cai
x

OMG!OMG! this is the most beautiful fic! I ever read! heck- its better than most of the real books I read! I love it and agree w/ every single work cai said! its beautiful! its really is! I never saw MV feelings better descripted!
its beautiful! I would really really love to have a pm! and I cant wait!

I would ask for a PM but I already have on sd-1. :rolleyes: Just wanted to say that this is a great fic. :hug: And I'm with Cai. :lol:

Ok where to start well really I want to say a huge thank you to everyone that has read my little story. I am very shocked that people seem to like it so much. To the people that have left replies I want to give a special mention, I'm so grateful that I'm gushing (eek that doesn't happen often) :blush:

Next thing is to tell everyone that chapter 1 is going to be posted tomorrow morning my time (which probably will confuse anyone who doesn't live by GMT) I apologise!!

Better go this has gone on for far too long anyway. But thanks again :lol:

*icklebit0711* aka Jady T

I agree completly with everything Cai said. And believe me this fic could NEVER be :( so dont even put that at the end of the next chapter ;)

You can no longer distinguish between future, present and past she eclipses everything and becomes the entirety of your life.

That was my favorite sentence for some reason...

But it was Amazing! PM please! :D :D (y) (y)

Ok here’s the second instalment, hope people enjoy it and of course feedback is welcome. ;)

Disclaimer: I don’t own anything

Dominion

Chapter 1

So huge, so hopeless to conceive,
As these that twice befell.
Parting is all we know of heaven,
And all we need of hell

With that one word you rush to her knowing unequivocally that she is really sitting there before you. This is no apparition but the woman who had left far too prematurely, who had taken your heart with her, leaving you with your counterfeit reality. You think there are tears in her eyes but you are too consumed with the smile she is giving you to clearly observe anything else. She rises to meet you pushing off the table for support; you see the subtle trembling of her frame, the nervousness exuding from her in waves.

She dips her head after brushing some errant strands of hair behind her ear. It is this simple action that you have witnessed thousands of times by now that propels you into action. You gather her up pulling her into your arms, she clings to you as you lift your left hand and allow your fingers to splay across her silken skin and caress her cheek with a reverence that she has never experienced before. “You’re really here?” The look of unadulterated awe that spreads across your face as you realise she is indeed here in your arms brings an attractive blush to her cheeks and knowing at this moment that words are superfluous she simply nods her head.

With your face obscured to her view and your words mumbled as they are whispered into her skin she does not understand the question that you are asking of her. She pulls back slightly resting her forehead against yours as you both still desperately crave close contact with each other. “Where have you been?” Your eyes sweep firstly over her face and then over the rest of her form checking and evaluating any injuries that she may be carrying. When your gaze returns to hers the anguish written there allows you to consider that the most debilitating wounds she has sustained are internal, closed off to you for what you sense may be your own protection.

“The…the Covenant took me, after the fight with Allison I passed out in my bedroom and woke up in a cell.” She hopes that you believe her answer, the place that she really woke up in is a fact that will remain hidden for as long as it is possible. While she is considering her blatant deviation from the truth you are plotting the demise of every person that has played a part in her kidnap and subsequent stay in captivity. Dismemberment appeals to you the most the macabre images of rusting knifes and the screams of unadulterated agony provide a smoothing balm for the white-hot rage that is warring in you screaming for you to take action.

Sydney suspecting where your thoughts are currently residing places a chaste kiss on you lips to divert your attention away from retribution. When you do return to yourself you chastise your purely masculine reaction at the site of fresh tears staining your lover’s alabaster cheeks. To put heed to the tiny rivers you kiss each of them absorbing the sorrow behind them into yourself. The tears eventually cease, the outward show of weakness swiftly concealed behind the steely reserve that you are all too familiar with.

“How long do you have to stay here?” The signs of fatigue are clearly imprinted on her face, with the world-weary eyes that have seen and experienced more than one so young should ever have to. You are sure that arrangements must have been made for her, unless they intend to hold her here. That query only raises more questions in your mind: exactly how is she being processed as a walk-in, as a returning agent or as a prisoner? When did she arrive? Why didn’t she call you? You are incoherent enough to fail in noticing that she has moved back to the chair that she abandoned at your entrance another testament to her exhaustion. She is still however clasping your hand within hers desperate for the prolonged contact that had been denied you both for so long.

“My dad is sorting out a safe house for me it’s not like I can go home since…” Another torrent of thoughts and memories wash over you at her words. The reason that she cannot return home, her apartment, her home no longer exists, for six months it remained a charred testament to the heinous event that had occurred there. It has since been brought by a property developer and made into a new apartment. A young couple happily live there as you have gathered from the numerous times you have ended up outside parked in your car. Never meaning to be but inexplicably drawn there to witness a live that so easily and rightfully should have been yours.

Two years ago there would have been no hesitation in you asking her to come home with you, visit the apartment that she has never actually seen. But now with so much still unresolved you know you cannot ask her, it would seem presumptuous and far too familiar. She hides her disappointment at your not asking her well, to anybody else she would be wholly convincing but you know her far better than they do. To assuage her fears you run your free hand down her face until you are cupping her jaw. “You know that I want to ask don’t you.” Although phrased as a question you hope she understands your statement as fact. The quick nod of assent she throws your way and shy smile convince you that she does indeed comprehend your reasons even if she doesn’t particularly agree.

“Well you can always drive me to the safe house.” Stated so confidently she is sure that you will acquiesce to her in this at least. Her confidence however dissipates at your unreadable expression and tears once again obscure her vision. She cannot fathom your reactions or lack of them choosing instead to believe that you do not wish to be in her presence for any longer than courtesy dictates.

“Of course I’ll drive you, you didn’t think I would trust anyone else to do it did you?” At last a c**ksure grin lightens your features and Sydney releases the breath that she had been holding in lieu of a response. Unable to elevate her head she gently kisses your thumb that is resting on her pouting lower lip. “I’m not ready to leave you yet, I don’t think I’ll ever be ready for that now that I’ve got you back.”

“I thought maybe you…” The sentence dies on her lips as if its utterance is entirely too painful for her to give voice to.

“Maybe what? You thought that I was that desperate to get away from you.” The misery you feel that she can think such a thing is only compounded by the fact that she believes it. How can she question your love for her so easily, as is two years would have tempered that love to a friendly indifference or less. An angry retort is quashed on your lips when you realise that she inhabits a world where she has lost every single thing that ever meant something to her, her questioning of you is perfectly reasonable for someone feeling as insecure as she surely is.

“I’m not leaving you Syd.” You tersely run your hand through your hair, your admission does so little to relieve her fear until you consider exactly what you can say to get through to her. “I love you, I always have, I always will. Now how do you think I could ever walk away from that.”

The earnestness of your words brooks little room for her denial. She stares at you not believing that you have just spoken the words that she has for so long been desperate to hear. Although when you were together before your actions had screamed those words neither of you had ever voiced them. You would have the rest of your lives to tell each other or so you thought until one fateful day when tomorrow ceased to exist and she left you with those three words still burning in your throat.

Although her eyes are still watery the dazzling smile complete with dimples that she gives you upon hearing your words is sublime. “I love you too Vaughn.” With her admission all the remnants of your former grief and heartache dissolve and you become again someone that you have not been for two years, once again you are truly her Vaughn just as she is your Sydney.

The gentle whoosh of the door being opened passes you both by so caught up in each other and your revelations that nothing else matters. A gruff, decidedly male cough manages to cut through your private two-person paradise as you turn your head to see who is disturbing you. “Hello Jack.” In the past this would be the point where you hastily remove yourself from Sydney as quickly as you can, but that time has passed and with the solid clutch she has on your upper arms you would not be able to escape even if you wanted to.

“Agent Vaughn. Sydney Medical Services have cleared you but they want you to come back in for some more tests later this week.” A quiet ‘yes’ is the only evidence that she is paying attention her head still lies against your chest. “So if you’re ready I can take both of you to the safe house.”

You must shoot a somewhat confused if not dumbfounded expression Jack’s way because for a moment or two you are willing to swear that the corners of his mouth upturn in a relatively derisive way. “I didn’t bring you here just to whisk her away from you. But we did come in my car if you remember.”

The little Judas that huddles in your embrace has the audacity to laugh at her father’s mild mocking of you. You wish for everyone that this light-hearted moment could last, but you know full well there are days to come when joviality will cease to exist at all.

For each ecstatic instant
We must an anguish pay
In keen and quivering ratio
To the ecstasy

~TBC~

**The quotes in this chapter are taken from ‘Parting’ and ‘Compensation’ by Emily Dickinson**

Ok so what do you think? Thanks for reading

*icklebit* aka Jady T
:joker2:

it was beautiful, it really was!
I love the way you write their feelings and jack is so funny here!
I wish this is how S3 whould have turn out w/ no Lauren!
I love the beautiful quotes you put in!
thanx 4 the pm! although, it would b easier 4 us 2 find the update if u attach a link in ur pm!if u dont know how ask me!

Oh holey freakin' bejeebies...

*stares in absolute awe*

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>This is the BEST fic EVER.</span>

And I definitely mean it when I say it... Because dude, you write like no other author on this forum that I've read before... It's just absolutely phenomenal...

MORE PEOPLE NEED TO READ IT THOUGH!

*stomps*

I'm sick of the deserving writers not getting enough recognition... :Ponder: Will place a shameless plug in my siggy after I'm done here, cos people MUST read it... It's just crazy... A good kind of crazy though. The kind of crazy where you're just staring in absolute disbelief at how talented someone like you can be...

Okay, so have you ever read a fic... Where the words are so beautifully chosen and arranged that you have to force yourself to read it at a snail's pace to fully comprehend the incredibility (lmao, I'm making up words here) of the fic? And all throughout the fic... You're just mumbling to yourself, about how freakin' good a writer this person is, and how this kind of writing is just beautiful beyond WORDS. So by the end... You're left with goosebumps and a huge goofy smile on your face, and you're writing a nonsensical review...

:whistle:

Cos dudey, THIS is one of those times...

Jady, I can't even tell you enough how beautiful your writing is... But you can probably tell by the number of times I've used the word 'beautiful' in this review can't you? In case you haven't gotten my point yet...

This fic is beautiful beautiful BEAUTIFUL!

:woot: So much that the word beautiful doesn't even sound like a word anymore! YAY! :lol:

But wow, I have to go on and ramble on about how awesome this fic is a little more, cos that wasn't enough...

Just every single word, and every single sentence, and just every single tiny little thing about the fic... It's just... Um... Get a thesaurus and look up the word 'phenomenal' or 'beautiful' for an alternative word, cos I can't be bothered :P

And the detail! My golly goshness... *squeal* The DETAIL of this fic! *falls off chair* It's just amazing to the point of speechlessness...

*runs off to change sig*

I love you and your writing, Jady!

:hug: Keep up the amazing work, girl... You rock my socks!

Cai
x

ps. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

i love how you incorporate emily dickinson, shakespeare, and other classic lit. into this fic...that's a wonderful idea, that's made this fic brilliant...fantastic job!!!

lucky

Hello again

Since I am feeling :D I have decided to provide a little bit of chapter two, I'm not posting the whole chapter until Friday.

Anyway enjoy ;)

“How the hell do you know what I need!”

You are perfectly calm in your reply knowing that matching her tone will only incense her more at this point. “Because I know you Sydney, because for four years you have been my primary concern, because every other important person in my life pales in comparison to you and the depth of love I have for you.”

Where both deliberate, the love is slight
Who ever lov’d, that lov’d not at first sight?

At this the fight drains out of her, you observe as her body bends under the weight of the burden she is shouldering single-handedly. “I just…I wanted you to hold me.”

Like it/hate it? Wonder what is going on?

You found the quote sad? (n) Have no fear it gets better I promise :D

Well I have chapter two completely finished (yay!) :smiley: it could be posted but I have to leave it until tomorrow because I'm about to be kicked off the computer. I am just starting to write chapters three and four. They will both be up hopefully (fingers crossed) early next week.

Wow. Your writing is beautiful. It's the way you describe their emotions that leaves me stunned. And every time they said something I could picture them saying those words. And believe that usually doesnt happen to me when I'm reading other fics but this is just to good.

You rock! :D (y) (y)

Back