Dominion

Okay I'm back. And I'm double posting, I know, I know... *runs away from any mods that might notice that I am* I feel like a criminal for even double posting. Like I'm evil or something :lol: Do I just have an overactive imagination, or does everyone else feel the same way? :P

But if I went back and edited... Dude. That's just too much strenuous effort for me :yawn:

Anyway, back to the chapter, and away from the topic of double posting and editing...

Although I'm wondering if there's some sort of chronic typing disease where my fingers just seem to keep typing and typing, cos my brain's just lost control over them... *hop* But hey, it just might be what this fic does to me... So deliriously happy that I type and type and type and babble and babble and babble... Cos I need something to say, but I can never find it.

*looks up at the ceiling*

Oh god of the heebie jeebies, tell me what to say to show my appreciation for this fic! Because words can not express how much I love and adore this fic...

:notworthy:

Anyway, I really need to shut up now. :lol: Y'know, get on with the point and all...

Point number one. Poems. Dude... Jady, are you like... An english teacher or something? Or maybe some english major, or at least SOMETHING, because my god... Only english teachers/majors are able to write like that. And also, know that many poems and books and authors and poets, and know precisely which ones to pick to fit into the chapter. Cos all the ones that you've posted so far with the chapters? *hop* Never read them before! :lol: But what I'm trying to say is (in case I've confused you with the babbling)... WOW.

You're like an english freak-of-nature.

Wait.

:laughbounce:

That really didn't come out right...

Everything I've said so far = Good thing.

;) Mkay? Lol.

Anyway... DUDE! The ending... The injection... THE DADDY! :cry: I don't know what you've got planned for us, Jady, but boy am I excited... As evil as those plans might be! I know I'll love it anyway...

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>LOVE</span> this fic. You can tell, because I've just spent... I don't know, almost an hour reading and reviewing the two chapters? :whistle:

Cai
x

WHAT?!

NO!

YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK!

:thud:

X_X

I'll add to this later, but right now I have to go.

LOVE IT, even though it turns you that you are TOTALLY EVIL!

:P

Lauren

Ok time for me to clear some things up I think:

1: Cai, no I'm not an English teacher, or an english major, I just like to read, have many poetry books and lots of free time before uni starts :read:

2: Lauren, I'm not totally evil :devil: maybe a little bit evil for leaving the ending like that but that's all. he he :D

3: I try and update as quickly as I can, which at the moment is every other day since the chapters are written on the day inbetween posts. I'm working on chapter 6 now so it will be ready for tomorrow.

4: Finally, yes BV is my special guest star :shh: (don't tell anyone though it's supposed to be a secret!!)​

Anyway thanks for your reviews they are all brilliant :lol:

Jady T ;)

icklebit0711 said:
Ok time for me to clear some things up I think:

1: Cai, no I'm not an English teacher, or an english major, I just like to read, have many poetry books and lots of free time before uni starts  :read:

2: Lauren, I'm not totally evil :devil: maybe a little bit evil for leaving the ending like that but that's all. he he :D

3: I try and update as quickly as I can, which at the moment is every other day since the chapters are written on the day inbetween posts. I'm working on chapter 6 now so it will be ready for tomorrow.

4: Finally, yes BV is my special guest star :shh: (don't tell anyone though it's supposed to be a secret!!)​

Anyway thanks for your reviews they are all brilliant  :lol:

Jady T ;)
[post="1445142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
1. ARE YOU SERIOUS?
2. You seem to have a lot of the symptoms of Evilitis... *whispers* It's kinda fun torturing your readers :angelic:
3. How you get those chapters out that quickly is beyond me. *stares at Word, perplexed*
4. If I could figure out who BV is (which is probably insanely obvious), I'd comment. But wait. I am commenting :woot:

Okay, I'm going to go to bed before I have computer key impressions on my forehead.

*cough*evil!*cough*

Laur

*Face has already become one with the keyboard*

BV- Bill vaughn...
I was actully sure it was jack! stupid me!
I was shocked!!! yea it truely came out of no where! but u r right it cant allwasy b fluffy!
so she is still working for the covenent?
Im really waiting 4 the next cahppy! thanx 4 this pm!

^ Told you it'd be obvious!!

I agree, but it's still evil!!! Even if it's for the best of the fic. Evil, I tell you! :P

Well since it's no longer Sunday I'm officially late with my update. The chapter is taking a lot longer to write than I had orginally anticipated. At the moment I'm stuck with about two pages :angry: which isn't good at all.

I'll try to get it finished and up as soon as I can. Sorry but it'll be worth the wait (I hope)

Jady T ;)

Ok here we go, I think I need a holiday after this!! :blink:

Disclaimer: No poems or Alias characters belong to me, although BV is subject to my interpretation he’s not my creation. Lorenzo’s mine though!! All mine!!

Dominion

Chapter 6

Nor moon, nor stars were out;
They did not dare to tread so soon about,
Though trembling, in the footsteps of the sun:
The light was neither night’s nor day’s, but one
Which, life-like, had a beauty in its doubt,
And silence’s impassioned breathings round
Seemed wandering into sound.

A distinct shuffle is heard as a foot catches sloppily on the concrete, subconsciously you brace yourself against the restraints preparing for the appearance of a man that you have been grieving for nearly three decades. As he finally steps into the small circle of light cast out by the meagre strip above a heavy gasp escapes you; this man in no way resembles your father. Everything about him is drawn and tired like a man who has carried a burden alone for too long; his face has aged beyond his sixty years, deep lines bear witness to the weight of his deceptions and longing for a child and a wife that he has continually denied himself the luxury of.

When he speaks it is not with the voice that once told you stories at bedtime, that comforted you and reasoned with you. It is the voice of a stranger, an impostor; this is not your idol neither is he the man you have crafted out your entire adult life trying to emulate. “Hello Michael…I…I…”

“What’s the matter dad can’t find the words?” The acidic inflections of your tone sting not only you but the two other inhabitants of the room as well. The warning you see in your father’s eyes speaks to admonishment and you have to control the urge to laugh at the absurdity of it all, indeed you would laugh if it wouldn’t have been so alien to the situation playing out before you. It strikes you as ridiculous, here you are handcuffed to a bed while your father holds court and your girlfriend calmly watches over the two of you.

“Is there anything I can say that you would believe?” His voice has softened, resignation and defeat seeping in as for the first time he faces the repercussions of his actions. Slowly he reaches across you to hand something to Sydney, she takes it form him and begins undoing your restraints. Gently she rubs each appendage as she releases them trying to return the blood flow back to normal, only when you have enough feeling back do you pull away from her touch.

Revelling in your power to inflict pain you patronisingly inform him. “Not really but it might be interesting to hear your excuses for abandoning me and mom. Tell me dad what was more important than your family?” While you know that there is nothing he can say to calm the maelstrom of wrath churning inside of you, you crave his answers, his explanations for forcing his only child and beloved wife to exist without him.

Tears shimmer in tired eyes before they are swallowed down along with the desperation that they breed. He struggles to find his voice under the torrent of such emotion. “Nothing, you may not believe me Michael but there is nothing more important to me than you and your mother.”

“Excuse me for doubting you when you say that but you weren’t the one that had to stand by and watch as mom fall apart. You weren’t the one that had to try and pick up the pieces; I was.” The anger of an eight-year-old boy that has always lingered in the deepest part of your soul drives your fury now along with the painful recollections of tears cried into the night by a woman who had just buried the love of her life.

Annoyed by your continued obstinacy his voice drops dangerously low, menacing and warning invade his words as he makes direct eye contact to ensure you are aware of the message he is sending you. “If you want an explanation then you have to be prepared to listen.”

You give no visible sign whether you are going to listen or not but he must interpret your silence as assent. A chair that you had not previously noticed becomes occupied as a weary man stretches out his right leg. He senses you watching him hopeful that your observation is based at least partly on concern. “It’s just an old bullet wound, I’ve had it for such a long time but it’s never healed fully.”

The withering look you send him ends any hope he may have entertained regarding you softening towards him. He is noticeably disappointed but plays it off as he pulls himself up in the chair to meet eyes of fiery jade that demand the truth. “The mission I was on before I disappeared; what do you know about it?”

“Only what I read in your journal and what the CIA told us.” You keep your answers purposefully short, neglecting to mention the hours you spend at the CIA archives scouring files for any mention of your father and that fateful mission.

“The agency had sent me to Belize to follow up a lead on an important Rambaldi device that needed to be recovered. I found the cube in a mausoleum buried in it’s own casket and following my orders I prepared for my extraction. Before I could get out of the country I had a visit from another agent; who had also been tasked with the recovery of the device and my assassination.” His voice stirs you as you are transported back to the day he had left, he had promised to bring you back a gift; but as you clung to him the only thing you wished for was that he himself came back to you.

“Irina.” You sign instinctively knowing that Irina had to have played a part in why your father remained alive; but curious as to exactly the nature of her part.

“Yes Irina Derevko was the agent sent to kill me but apart from shooting me in the leg she left me unharmed. She knew about the cube, what Rambaldi had wanted to achieve with it. Although the cube can do many things including being used in conjunction with other devices as a power source it is primarily a map. It is a guide for those who can use it to the most important Rambaldi artefact the Telling. Of course I was sceptical Irina’s information didn’t collate with what the agency had told me and I couldn’t comprehend why she would give me such valuable intel; until she mentioned your name.” Again making sure that your gaze is fixed on his as he negates the importance of his words through his eyes and subtle changes in tone and volume.

“She knew all about you things that no-one else besides me and your mother could ever possibly know. When I told her I didn’t believe her she shot me, ‘a warning’ she said not to doubt her because she had proof, that there were reasons why she had come to intercept me; reasons all pertaining to you. So we made a deal I would hand over the cube and in return she would give me both answers and proof. Of course we both knew that the agency wouldn’t stop looking for me while the cube was missing, and that they would never condone a relationship between one of its agents and a KGB officer. In order to find the answers I had to dissolve my former association with the agency and leave my old life behind with the hope that one day I would be able to return.” A hope that had never come to fruition for when he had learned the truth he was still unable to return; for the danger that Michael would be placed in by those who would seek to use him.

“You talk of proof; but proof of what? You betrayed your agency and your country all because Irina told you she knew things about me. She was a spy dad did you never think that could easily have gained access to files to get that information.”

“Yes of course I thought of that; but she didn’t. What Irina revealed couldn’t be found in files or documentation they were personal things, things that nobody knew about.”

Incredulous that he had been willing to take her word as enough insurance to go against the agency that he had loyally dedicated over ten years to. “And you believed her? You believed a Russian spy and defected all because of what she said.”

His hands that have been still in his lap until this point suddenly grasp your arm, the accusation of defection pushing him to forcibly react as to enforce the truth of his words through the violence of his actions. “I never defected Michael, I never once betrayed my country but there are things that the CIA knew and purposefully kept from me that I had every right to know, but they kept it to themselves in order to fulfil their own agendas.” Clamping down on his anger he removes his hands placing them back in his lap as his control slips back into place. “Anyway in accordance with our agreement I handed over the cube to Irina, she had told me that it was not her intention to give it to the KGB but rather keep it for herself so that when the time was right it would be on hand for those who needed it.”

“On hand for what? You’re talking in riddles, just tell me what’s going on.” Your patience is wearing thin as you become more drawn in and confused with every new revelation that greets your ears.

“Be patient Michael, I am trying to explain but this tale has been thirty years in the making; it takes time to tell it all.” It is his turn to be patronising now, seeing you need his story gives him a power over you that had been yours. “When I left Belize Irina arranged my ‘death’ another CIA agent was sent back in my place. It took them two weeks to find salvageable DNA and identify the body as mine. I went to Nepal first to see a monk called Conrad, he knew what I was searching for and directed me to Florence, to a man called Lorenzo Bargia.” William pauses caught in his own reflections on a man that had changed the whole direction of his life; who had given him one of his greatest gifts but also planted the seeds for further pain and recrimination.

“When I met him he told me that he had been waiting his all his life to pass on Rambaldi’s gift to me. At first I didn’t know what to make of him, Conrad had assured me that no one would know of my visit to Bariga. The old man just smiled as he handed over two figures, one of the Angel Gabriel and the other was Saint Peter, the messenger and the protector he called them. As I examined them I saw on both of the bases a tiny insignia of a circle and two arrows facing away from each other.”

“The eye of Rambaldi.”

“Yes, that’s what Bargia told me it was called then he took the figures from me with a reverence that I have only seen when mothers hold their children; he smashed them against each other until all that remained were two scrolls, these he handed back to me and smiling again he left me alone. Although I was anxious to read I couldn’t open them; a strange feeling stopped me, at the time I couldn’t have said what it was but now in hindsight I know it was dread the feeling you get when you’re on the edge of something just waiting for the plunge.” The feeling sweeps over him standing on the edge of the abyss waiting for the action to occur just as he had that day. A similar feeling in telling Michael the truth fills him today, as unknowing and unprepared for the outcome as he had been twenty-five years previously.

“So I left them unopened until I met Irina in Minsk. We each took one scroll and tried to open them but were unable to. Frustrated Irina asked me about the figures, hearing that my scroll came from the messenger she asked for it whilst giving the other back to me. This time we were able to open them and I saw on that parchment all the answers that I had been searching for. There was a picture, well more of an exact portrait of the subject discussed in the text, it was like looking in the mirror so much that I knew that it was a drawing of me, but I noticed differences slight though they were they lessened the chances of it being me. I knew then why I had been dreading finding proof of what Irina had alluded to in Belize, the answer to my biggest question was finally answered today when I saw you. The drawing on the scroll was of you Michael, you just as you are right now.”

“What? That’s impossible why would there be a picture of me?”

“Because the scroll of the protector is about you Michael, it’s a prophecy about you. You are the Guardian. Page Eleven of the Rambaldi text is the sister piece to the page that Irina opened, the messenger scroll is more commonly known as Page Forty-Seven. I saw the picture of Sydney and read the fate that would befall the Chosen One.”

“But we found the loop hole Sydney has seen the sky of Mount Subasio, she’s not the Chosen One.”

She is so matter-of-fact in accepting her fate as she confirms for you. “Yes I am Michael we didn’t ever disprove that I was, there is no loop hole in the prophecy.”

Struggling to allow the knowledge that your actions to save her from the DSR were all useless you are too thrown to offer any reply that makes much sense. “But Syd you can’t be…we…I…”

Aware of your confusion and doubt your father tries to comfort you with his words, praying that they ease your mind. “You’ve read the prophecy Michael; you should know better than to doubt the validity of words whose truth you have lived through.”

Anger bursts through as you are forced to recollect the memories that he so casually invokes without ever having to live through them. “Who’s truth? Some fifteenth century psychopath who was burned at the stake for heresy. Why the hell should I believe?” ‘Why the hell should I believe in anything!’ your mind screams as images of fire and ashes assail you, the charred smell that clung to your skin no matter how harshly you scrubbed at it. That night had stolen not only Sydney but your faith also, the two were extinguished with one foul blow.

And here she stands your love and faith telling you that you must accept what you have been told. Asking with luminous brown eyes that you let go of your reservations as she has done. “Because you know it’s the truth, I know you don’t want to believe, that you want to fight it. But you can’t; this is a fight that you would never be able to win. Just as I am the Chosen One you are the Guardian; Michael.”

“Are you listening to what you’re saying Sydney? You never believed in Rambaldi why do you now?”

“Because you have been my guardian since the first day I met you, willingly you adopted the role of my protector without any one ever having to ask you. Because we’ve seen things that can be explained no other way. The device in Mexico City we both saw that, the devastation that it caused.”

“I was your handler Sydney it was my job to protect you, to keep you alive.”

“It was always more than a job to you, you went out of your way to help me risking your life and for what Vaughn, not for causes you believed in, but because you had to because it became a compulsion to save me.” She is correct in what she says you have always gone above and beyond the call of duty for her and you always will because you cannot do any less and love her as much as you do.

“So if I’m the Guardian what do I have to do?” Such a flippant question your father thinks, you can see as much when you meet his gaze. To you however cynicism is a perfectly natural reaction when talking about prophecies, fate and destiny all words that had not existed in your vocabulary before October first when a Day-Glo redhead with a swollen mouth crashed into your life.

“You are the reason that the Chosen One fights, you are her purpose just as she is yours. Only together can you stop those who are insistent on taking power, that is your destiny, Sydney is your destiny she always has been.” He pauses as he watches the look you share with Sydney, while you have never denied your love for her you struggle with the notion of it being fated or predestined; the idea of so much suffering occurring just so the two of you could come together is unthinkable. Pleased with the love he observes William resumes his explanation. “The two of you have to stop those who have twisted Rambaldi’s master vision to their own nefarious ends, you know those of who I speak, the men who will stop at nothing to achieve the endgame. Rambaldi designed his machines with thoughts of peace and the creation and maintenance of a utopia where war would be obsolete and aggression would have been bread out of the human race because it was redundant. You have seen for yourselves where this quest has lead men that are not strong enough to overcome the darkness that dwells within them. It is not the vision that is tainted but it is the men rather who have sought to make it so. But you and Sydney have to power to stop it, to put an end to all the evil that Rambaldi’s inventions have wrought. But to do this you must first activate the cube so the Telling can be located.”

“You have the cube though right? Irina has it safe doesn’t she?” The analytical brain that Sydney had always admired is on show as you try to make sense of all that you have heard so far.

Regretfully with a bent head William informs them “she did but we have not had the cube the entire time, the CIA, the DSR and the most recently the Covenant have all possessed it at some point. We do have it now however in a secure location, tomorrow we will leave…”

Unable to understand where he has gotten the idea that you are willing to partake in this you hastily question. “What we? You can’t seriously expect me to just take your word in all this.”

The ghost of a smile plays upon his lips, he had expected your resolute denials when you lacked proof. So much like him in your unwillingness to take anything at hearsay relying instead on facts and figures before you are willing to believe. “No I never thought that you would; that’s why I bought this for you to see.” Pulling a yellowed parchment from his inside jacket pocket; his attention fixates on the object unwilling to let you hold his prized possession he holds it for you to read.

Stunned by the likeness of the image you do not pay much attention to the text, only accepting now that you have seen for yourself that your father was correct. “How long have you known? Why the hell didn’t you tell me Sydney I had a right to know.” Cut out of the conversation as you turn to Sydney for the answers that your father has not able to satisfy with his account. In your rage you do not realise that Sydney will be unable to answer them also, that is not her that deserves the brunt of your resentment. William uneasily makes his exit wishing to not be present for the fallout that his words have created.

Sydney’s cool response does reach his ears however and he is momentarily lightened with joy that his son has found such a woman to spend his life with. “I was going to tell you Vaughn but it’s been kind of hectic since I got back. I wasn’t expecting the call to come through as quickly as it did, I was hoping for time to tell you everything, for us to be able to sit down and talk it through. But ask yourself Michael as angry as you are now would it have been any easier if I told you he was alive, that he’s been out there the whole time and never once tried to contact you or see you. Would that have been easier or would it have hurt just as much? I didn’t want to be the one to tell you, after everything we’ve been through already I didn’t want to be the one to shatter your illusions of your father. I love you too much to have done that Vaughn.” Her impassioned words and silent pleas for your understanding fall on deaf ears as you can only view her now as another person who has betrayed your trust.

You convey as much when devoid of any emotion or warmth your scoffing reply cuts through the tension mounting exponentially between the two of you. “You love me too much, do you even know what real love is Sydney? It’s not keeping secrets from each other. You’re just as much of a stranger as he is, the Sydney I knew would never have…”

“The Sydney you knew!” She turns on so rapidly you flinch in preparation of an attack that never comes, you find however the abject heartbreak written on her face hurts you more than any bodily wound ever could. “I am the Sydney you knew, I’m still the same person Vaughn and you of all people should know that. I know what this is about Vaughn your stupid male pride; you can’t stand the thought that I was trying to protect you can you? Because that’s what I was trying to do; you’re not the only one who’s gone through this, I know better than anyone what that kind of betrayal feels like. But you’re not the only one who’s suffering and you’re not the only one going through something life changing I am too but you’re too consumed with your own hurt to see anything beyond that.”

As she turns to go you realise the truth in what she says, tears that she makes no attempt to hide fall heavily with the sorrow that your words impart. Only with her shoulders slumped and her back turned to you do you see her as she truly is; vulnerable, just as she was days ago when you held her in your arms and promised to never let go.

With the remorse for your actions clear in your tone; you call to her begging for a forgiveness only she can offer. “Sydney please…don’t go…it’s just…tell me what to do please…I…I can’t…” The words succumb to the heavy silence so smothered that you cannot continue.

Three steps and she is beside the bed cradling you as sobs rack your frame. “Oh baby it’s ok…I’ve got you Michael, it’ll be ok I promise. I’ll make it all better.” As she speaks the words you are calmed by the sincerity and promise that you hear. She tightens her grip on you as you automatically do the same and you know that this time neither of you will ever let go.

I tell you, hopeless grief is passionless;
That only men incredulous of despair,
Half-taught in anguish, through the mid-night air
Beat upward to God’s throne in loud access
Of shrieking and reproach. Full desertness,
In souls as countries, lieth silent-bare
Under the blanching, vertical eye-glare
Of the absolute Heavens. Deep-hearted man, express
Grief for thy Dead in silence like to death-
Most like a monumental statue set
In everlasting watch and moveless woe
Till itself crumble to the dust beneath.
Touch it; the marble eyelids are not wet:
If it could weep, it could arise and go.

~TBC~

**The quotes in this chapter are taken from ‘A sea-side walk’ and ‘Grief’ both by Elizabeth Barrett Browning**

Long time coming or just plain long?? I know what I think!!

Icklebit aka Jady T ;)

uhmm... okay... i am officially really and completely lost for words.

seriously...

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>more people should be reading this.</span>

this is by far, one of the best alias fics that i have ever read. i dont know what else to say anymore, because i really have no words to express my appreciation of what an awesome story DOMINION is.

WOW.

its, amazing and geez... its amazing.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>amazing. truly amazing.</span>

you deserve more than this. and oh please, if you go on a holiday, coz you said you needed holiday after posting this chapter, please write during that holiday!!!

NOW. okay, i think i can make sense now. :lol:

Vaughn is the guardian, the protector. Sydney as the Chosen One. Before, i used to hate the idea of Rambaldi and everything that concerns him, it. in the actual alias i mean. But after reading this, in some way, i have appreciated the fact that there is Rambaldi. But how you managed to give us an explanation, putting into words such emotions the three different characters in this chapter... it was absolutely fantastic. My favorite part is this:

He pauses as he watches the look you share with Sydney, while you have never denied your love for her you struggle with the notion of it being fated or predestined; the idea of so much suffering occurring just so the two of you could come together is unthinkable.
i couldnt agree more.

Also, this.
You have seen for yourselves where this quest has lead men that are not strong enough to overcome the darkness that dwells within them. It is not the vision that is tainted but it is the men rather who have sought to make it so.
the men being empowered by their own inner demons rather than overcoming them. its just, aaahhh.. amazing,

*breathes out* *breathes in*
Whew. i have never ever read an update as slow as i have read yours. I have never read a story as slow as i am reading Dominion.

I am so glad that you shared with us this story. Honestly, Thank You.

Oh, also... i love Michael's speech. Particularly THIS:
Excuse me for doubting you when you say that but you weren’t the one that had to stand by and watch as mom fall apart. You weren’t the one that had to try and pick up the pieces; I was.

i feel so bad not being able to give you a review you deserve. But hey, if ever you have an addicts list count me in! i bet many would like to join the club.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Absolutely Amazing.</span>

I cannot just say, HEY THANKS FOR THE PM. coz you deserve so much more. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Hoooooley fizzle sticks...

*stares*

:jawdrop:

That was... Complicated. And I'm talking complicated in a good way, so complicated that it seems professional, and so Alias-like, and so freaking REAL! :woot: Gosh, I seriously can't believe that you're not an english major or anything... Because dude, you'd be damn good at it! ;)

Maybe I should read more though? Lol, cos if reading was what got you up to this standard... Holey heebie jeebies, I really need to read more. :lol:

You know what though? The whole Rambaldi thing you've written with Vaughn being the Guardian, and Sydney the Chosen One, and everything else... WOW. Did you just make that up? Cos dude, you certainly could've convinced me that that actually happened in S4, because it's just so well thought out and perfect! :D *whispers* If it is in Season 4, don't tell me, because I haven't seen it... But Alias starts tonight! Finally! :woot:

Anyway, back to the fic...

That was longer than expected, but dude, by no means does that affect the quality of your fic. I am in absolute awe of how you write, the description, literary techniques, GAH!! EVERYTHING!! It's just so gorram amazing... It's so detailed, and so perfect... GAH! It makes me want to scream!

I just don't understand why people aren't reading this though... *shakes head* What are they, nuts?! :o_O: Pssh, but I guess it's their loss... :rolleyes:

And *points at Gee's review* I guess I'm not the only person who takes their time whilst reading this fic then! :lol: See, I keep telling you... It's impossible to read your fic any faster than a snails pace, because it's too good to rush! :D

Anyway I could go on forever if I kept babbling, so I'm going to end it here for today :P AMAZING update, Jady!

:groupwave:

Cai
x

So I'm in bed poorly but I wanted to post this chapter so please ignore any really obvious mistakes, I'll edit them when I feel better.

Disclaimer: The characters and poems don’t belong to me.

Dominion

Chapter 7

What is our innocence, what is our guilt?
All are naked, none are safe.
And whence is courage:
The unanswered question, the resolute doubt,-
Dumbly calling, deafly listening-
That in misfortune, even death,
Encourages others and in its defeat,
Stirs the soul to be strong?
He sees deep and is glad,
Who accedes to morality,
And in his imprisonment rises upon himself
As the sea in a chasm,
Struggling to be free and unable to be,
In its surrendering finds its continuing.

When you wake the room is as gloomy as it was when you first gained consciousness, the light that woke you then still shines on above your head making visible only a small portion of the room mainly the bed that you are lying on. A warmth is pressed to your back while alabaster limbs entangle with yours, gentle puffs of air disturb the hairs at the nape of your neck, only soft whimpers from your sleeping partner disturb the tranquillity of the moment. For a while you prevent yourself from thinking of anything but contemplation of Sydney. Sydney; who with her soft reassurances and tender touches had allayed your doubts and fears and had whispered in your ear of her love every hour until you had finally succumb to sleep.

The nagging questions cannot be held at bay for long though and resigning yourself to their onslaught you debate every doubt play over in your mind. The biggest question you find concerns your father; if what he said was true then why had he never returned? Why had he been so willing to stay away? Where was the danger if only he and Irina knew about the prophecy? Was he really trying to protect you and your mother? You must have become as restless as your thoughts as Sydney’s voice pierces through with words of comfort.

Slowly you turn to face her surprised when she leans forward to reverently kiss away twin tear trails from your cheeks. You had not realised you were crying again and angrily you question if this is all you are going to do. Sensing your anger before you can vent it she claims your lips with a searing kiss that is powerful enough to smite your fury. She maintains the kiss deepened it with a playful tug on your bottom lip, lovingly exploring the alcoves of your mouth until she feels the tension seep out of your body only for your muscles to tighten with a more pleasurable feeling. Breathlessly you pull away from each other both glowing with the love and desire that vacillates between you. Concentrating on her gaze and all that you see there you affectionately slide a hand down her face until it moulds to the contours of her jaw while your thumb seeks out a dimple that her smile will not permit her to hide.

Eager to again feel her lips against yours you softly encourage her face forward; flicking your eyes to hers the last thing you see is liquid coco whirled by the tempest of desire you are creating in her before you both give in to the heady sensations. An embarrassed clearing of a throat causes you to both pull away, while Sydney buries her head in your chest you address the person who has trespassed on your private moment. Your father flashes you a half apologetic; half mischievous grin putting up both palms in silent apology.

“The plane is standing by we need to leave shortly. There are clean clothes for you both in the small bathroom to your right. There is a man outside the room just tell him when you are ready.” Although his words have the practiced ease of nonchalance that he is striving for you sense something more in his words, an urgency that twitches at his fingers demanding action. His choice of the word man raises alarms, although obvious precautions were taken against your escape you had not thought of guards standing watch outside your room. Sydney must also have been unaware of this surveillance as her looping grip has tightened around your shoulders and brought her body into firmer contact with yours.

Just as he did earlier you father slips away without your notice as your focus shifts to the trembling figure in your arms. “Do you think that’s the only measure he’s taken?” Hushed words so far removed from the joyful tone of earlier that you hardly recognise them call your attention to her face. Lovingly you brush a lock of hair behind her ear letting the lustrous strands play between your fingers.

“I don’t know Syd I never thought about it, maybe there’s audio and visual in here.” While you softly try to comfort her you berate yourself for never having considered the possibility of the room being bugged. Normally it would have been one of your first considerations but the appearance of your father and his revelations eclipsed anything else.

Angling your head so that her mouth is flush to your ear so only you can hear what she says, she runs her other hand through your hair so to anyone watching it looks like nothing more than an embrace between two lovers. “I told you before that there were things I need to tell you but I can’t risk it now, not when we don’t know who might be listening. Maybe we can talk on the plane but it has to be away from your father Vaughn.”

Keeping up the charade of a loving exchange you press kisses down the column of her neck and around her ear. “I know we need to talk, we’ll find a way. Now we better get ready before he comes back.” You finish with a fervent but short kiss communicating your love with words that only she can know. She is the first to rise from the small bed coming to your side to help you. Once you are sitting she informs you that she is going to check out the bathroom for a shower. The sound of running water informs you that there is indeed a shower, while your mind sojourns to the gutter Sydney quickly finishes and gets dressed.

“There’s still hot water left if you want a shower.” She gives you a look that tells you she knows exactly what you are thinking, you guilty smile and shrug your shoulders like you couldn’t help yourself. Less than gracefully you push of the bed with both hands onto unsteady legs. Sydney is instantly beside you wrapping your left arm over her shoulders as she aids in your trek across the room.

“Think I can take it from here.” With a c***y wink you shut the door and shuffle over to the shower. The atrophy that has taken over your muscles seems to be lessening and you hope that the shower will speed up the process. The warm spray reinvigorates you as you spend an extra few minutes working out the kinks in your neck and shoulders. Eventually you force yourself to get out and change into the clothes that Sydney has laid out for you, you wonder how your father knew what sized to buy but quickly end that train of thought choosing instead to return to Sydney.

You observe from the door as she sits on the bed her long legs not quite reaching the floor as she swings them to and fro. For what must be the thousandth time by know you wonder at the woman before you such a complex mix and woman and child, of naivety and knowledge that you never fail to be amazed by her. Loving Sydney is a constant learning process you have found and every time you think you know everything about her she astounds you all over again. Becoming aware of your presence she rises to meet you matching your grin with one of her own. Unable to deny yourself you kiss her; eagerly at first then tenderly with an infusion of the emotion that she stirs in you.

“We need to go.” The apprehension is easily detected in her tone as she slips her hands into yours. You wish you could question her but know that it is not safe while you are here. Her anxiety unsettles you giving wings to your own doubts; doubts that are becoming more difficult to reign in. If you allowed yourself to analyse you fears you realise that you would never get on that plane, that you would take Sydney and get as far away as possible. But your destiny awaits you and propels you forward to alert the guard that you are ready to leave.

Minutes later your father reappears smiling at the two of you. “There’s a car outside to take us to the airfield.” With a sweeping gesture of the arm he asks that both of you follow, tightly clasping hands you share one final look with Sydney, a look filled with more emotions that you could ever give voice to and a confirmation that you have each other.

The flight is fairly uneventful, while you had hoped to talk privately with Sydney your father has been incessant in questioning you regarding everything he has missed. Uncomfortable in your father’s presence Sydney moves to a seat near the back of the plane claiming that you and your father need the time together, worried you watch as she walks away and still as she settles down in a chair fixing her gaze on the view outside of the small aircraft. While you answer your father’s questions you do not share his joy at your stories, you make a pretence of talking him through your university years and your training at Langley while your attention firmly remains on Sydney. Your father is either too entertained by your stories or is kind enough to not call you on your faltering concentration.

The car ride from the landing strip in Minsk was fraught as again your father insisted on sitting in the back with the two of you. Your father tries to make conversation with Sydney but beside a few polite but short replies she kept quiet letting you take the lead and expand on her answers. Her hand which found yours as soon as you got in the car had steadily gotten tighter, bordering on painful when the car finally pulled to a stop. Your father was the first out of the car and seizing the opportunity you asked him for a few minutes to talk with Sydney.

In the time you have few words are actually spoken beyond broken declarations of love and hushed promises of everything being ok. She had clung to you almost desperately when you had tried to leave the car, worried by such a turn around in her you hold her close as you ask; “Syd what is it? What’s wrong?”

“Something’s wrong Vaughn, my mo…” The words are swallowed as your father appears in your peripheral vision. Sydney collects herself well and by the time she pulls away from you she has slipped into mission mode and expertly masked over her emotions.

“Everything has been prepared if you’re both ready.” You follow behind as you are led into what looks like an abandoned school. The ominous feeling that seems to have been plaguing Sydney is spreading and building in you with every step you take down the dark corridors. A large room that at one time must have been a hall judging by its size is your final stop. The room is bare apart from the graffiti that adorns the walls and a lone table that is supporting a large black box. Drawn to the box without knowing why you move closer until a steady pulse of light begins to beat from within the box. When Sydney approaches your side the light brightens and begins to beat faster, illuminating intricate carvings on the sides; the Rambaldi eye blinks at you pulling you closer until you are in front of the table reaching for the top.

A hand reaches for yours pulling it away from the cube only to link your fingers, with your attention torn form the box you focus instead on Sydney. There is a golden hue to her eyes that you have never seen before but past that fear is clearly written; fear that you feel as if it is your own. She is about to speak when a voice intervenes. “Michael, Sydney it is time; just follow your instincts.”

It is your father that lifts your joined hands back to the top of the box. His guiding hand driving out the voice screaming at you to stop, Sydney’s voice; it’s Sydney telling you to stop as you try to pull your hands away your father forces them down to the centre circle that caves in under the weight. The golden light flares out filling the room as you and Sydney stand face to face separated from each other. When you reach for her you find you cannot move your limbs and neither can she, an increasing fear takes hold of you both as the light grows brighter and brighter until you are forced to close your eyes to it.

“Don’t fight it Michael, it’ll be over soon.” His voice blares out; unnaturally loud deafening you as frantically search for Sydney. The golden hue that was in her eyes now shrouds her glowing an intense white from her abdomen. Her eyes call to you in silent appeal to stop this as you see her wince then clutch her stomach. Still unable to move you watch helplessly as she crumples to the floor the golden light spreading over her until she is buried beneath it. As you continue to watch pain rips through your body like needles of fire; forcing you to your knees as they buckle under the pain. Searing heat flows like lava through your veins consuming you as your mind writhes in agony against the onslaught.

In the second where you feel your senses begin to dim and welcome death; the light and heat being to recede. When the light has dimmed back to a dull beam you try and claw your way to Sydney who is lying prone on the other side of the table. Desperate to reach her you dig your nails into the worn parquet flooring and begin the agonising process of reaching her. Refusing to acknowledge the pain that starts in your fingers but soon spreads to your arms you slowly close the distance between you. When you are finally by her side you tilt her head to you, anguished by her lack of response you try shaking her shoulder and calling her name, but your voice is hoarse as the syllables rip at your vocal chords in their formation.

Unable to block out the pain anymore it overtakes you forcing you into unconsciousness as your body ignites again. Steps echo against the floor next to your head as your eyes finally slip shut, but you do not however miss the exuberant expression on your father’s face as he exclaims in barely restrained joy; “it is time.”

Already our bodies are fallen, bruised, badly bruised,
Already our souls are oozing through the exit
Of the cruel bruise.

Already the dark endless ocean of the end
Is washing in through breeches of our wounds,
Already the flood is upon us.

~TBC~

**The quotes in this chapter are taken from ‘What are years?’ by Marianne Moore and ‘The ship of Death’ by D.H. Lawrence.**

Ha ha (imagine one of those really cheesy villain laughs) I got it done!! Hope you enjoyed it and thanks for reading.

Jady T ;)

Meh too lazy to edit, takes too much effort... So on we go with the review! :woot:

First and most importantly of all... I think you may have just killed me with that chapter. Which... Is a good thing, I guess :P

Unable to block out the pain anymore it overtakes you forcing you into unconsciousness as your body ignites again. Steps echo against the floor next to your head as your eyes finally slip shut, but you do not however miss the exuberant expression on your father’s face as he exclaims in barely restrained joy; “it is time.”

^ Now that would be why...

IT'S TIME FOR FREAKING WHAT, WILLIE?! :o_O:

*runs around screaming*

Talk about freaking everyone out there Jady! Your writing is so phenomenal that it doesn't seem strange in the least, the box and everything... But when I actually come to think of it as I'm reviewing, I realise how insanely Rambaldi-ish it is, that by opening a box, Sydney's half dead and Vaughn's crawling around on the floor in pain...

:blink:

And boy am I confused!

:woot:

Gosh gosh gosh... GOOD CONFUSION HERE! *hops*

I don't think that any other writer other than you Jady, would've been able to pull something like that off.. The description of it all happening is AMAZING, and like... It makes it seem so believable which it otherwise would've not!

But one question. Which is pointless to ask because it'll probably be answered in the next chapter but... Is this some sort of Pandora's Box that they've opened? :confused: Cos I can't think of anything else like it!

Unless... Unless Bill is teaching his son some magic twicks? :eyebrow:

Anyway, I've kinda lost the plot here... Your writing makes me go all insane-like and crazy :lol:

But duuuuude. I loved the fluff between Syd and Vaughn in the beginning... Gosh you are good at writing fluff. :cry: And angst. And big flashy Rambaldi boxes that go KABOOM! when you open them... :whistle:

Naw, honestly though, I loved the fluffy bits... :love: Amazing!

Anyway, I'm kinda just repeating myself here.. This is amazing, that is amazing, gosh, EVERYTHING is amazing. Let's just settle with that, mk? ^_^

Cai
x

Back