Don't Listen to your HS Guidance Counselors

Daax

Cadet
Since Dec. 2006, I've been rushing trying to get registered for college and financial aid because throughout high school I had all these guidance counselors and teacher grind it in my head that if you don't hurry up and register for college you'll miss your chance and be backed up and yadda yadda bla bla.

I'd just like to say that is ALL bull----. Because of these people I hurridly graduated half a year early from HS because I was told getting ready for college and getting financial aid takes forever and that you can start college immediately after HS even if you're 17. WRONG. And you know why? Because you can do everything online now. Financial aid takes less than a day to complete. And no matter what college or school you're registering for, they will undoubtedly have something or a form for you to fill out that requires to you be 18!!!! And many of you may be wondering what I'm getting my panties all bunched up over. If you only knew. How I had every adult in the town on my ass about college, college, college!!!! And since i don't turn 18 till June, I have to wait till then before I can fully submit all of my information and transcripts. Not to mention after that, I have to wait till August for the Fall semester. So for the past 6 months I have wasted away because everyone either lied to me or they didn't know what they were talking about.

I never really heard all that stuff..

I also so happened to be 18 when I signed up for college anyhow, hehe. Sorry they had you worry so much, Daax. Relax now. It's all alright and you'll make it!

Uh... I was only 17 when I did all of my paperwork and so-forth for college. I didn't turn 18 until a few weeks after I actually started attending classes in my freshman year. Are you sure you aren't just missing a "if you are 18 sign here or have a legal guardian sign here" sort of thing?

I'll almost assuredly be 18 before you, then. I'm so happy that my birthday is June 1st... Otherwise, it'd drive me insane.

Anyway, when it took my high school guidance counselor nearly four months to get me out of a class that I wasn't supposed to be in in the first place, I decided that she must be retarded. A-hem, I mean mentally handicapped. Yeah, that's it... Then, with all the other felgercarb that's happened, I've decided that somewhere around 85% of the people around me are equally handicapped. Which, I guess, means that they're average, and I'm just a complete bad ass. Here's to losing faith in humanity; It's what granted me faith in myself! :P

Anyway, yeah. I've had to deal with a lot of horse felgercarb myself, though I didn't actually go through with the whole graduating high school shtick. Though, after a resent round of psych testing, I'm sure I'm going to have even more felgercarb headed my way, as the person my mother spoke with was babbling about her not being required to show me the results. Heh. B-) Which most likely means he doesn't expect me to react favorably to the news. I'll be 18 in a matter of days, dammit!

Seriously, though, I'd be really worried about actually getting into college were it not for my test scores. They aren't "OMG, go get this kid!", but they're certainly no "Mehh." It just means I'll have to actually meet with a representative of the college, most likely. Oh, and I know the deadline for the fall application's already passed. Blame the same diaper jockey that told my mom she didn't have to tell me about the psych test.

What the hurtful words was I even talking about? Oh, yeah... Anyway, people are dumb. Most of them are useless, and, in my opinion, worthless. Just take satisfaction in the knowledge that they'll likely suffer some horrible, life-shattering tragedy one day. (P.S. My rates are competitive!) :P

Um. Something my mom told me made me think anyone can get into college, pretty much no matter what.

She said the kids in her classes didn't know some basic measurements. Come on, you learn it in like 1st grade. I think she was the only one who knew, and it was something like how many pints are in a quart or something. (duh, it's 2 cups to a pint, 2 pints to a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon)

Um. Something my mom told me made me think anyone can get into college, pretty much no matter what.

She said the kids in her classes didn't know some basic measurements. Come on, you learn it in like 1st grade. I think she was the only one who knew, and it was something like how many pints are in a quart or something. (duh, it's 2 cups to a pint, 2 pints to a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon)

Um, well I KNEW that... yeah.

Sure...

I didn't "forget" at all... >.>

Well the thing about it is, these kids are supposed to have actual knowledge of things, and college is there to expand upon it. If they don't know some basic stuff (sure it's easy to forget, but they really drilled it into us, at least they did at the school I went to), I guess the worst part was that nobody even tried to guess it.

No kidding. It's so much easier, and we're just being ignorant by not switching.

I think it's just because we're so set in our ways, and trying to change is "too hard"

A hundred of these, makes one of those, a thousand of them, gets us one of these. I think it's been side by side long enough.
The only thing I'd not change is generic temperature. I know when it's 100 F, it feels a lot warmer than 30 some Cs. LoL But Celsius may not be proper metric anyway.

Well the thing about it is, these kids are supposed to have actual knowledge of things, and college is there to expand upon it. If they don't know some basic stuff (sure it's easy to forget, but they really drilled it into us, at least they did at the school I went to), I guess the worst part was that nobody even tried to guess it.

They never drilled that into us when I went to school. We just did a couple of worksheets that happened to have some metric stuff on them. That's it.

Besides, I lack knowledge hardcore. The only reason I get the grades I do is because of my ability to reason. That's pretty much it. I get a basic picture/sound(Combined!) in my head of something, and if poked, it flashes just long enough for me to pick the one that looks/sounds right. That's about it.

Heh, my high school guidance counselor didn't think I was even going to graduate. But I proved her wrong, and I probably now make more money than she does.

Anyway, getting into college shouldn't be a problem. They want your money and will probably expedite the process of getting it.

Heh, my high school guidance counselor didn't think I was even going to graduate. But I proved her wrong, and I probably now make more money than she does.

Anyway, getting into college shouldn't be a problem. They want your money and will probably expedite the process of getting it.

If I were you, I'd go back to my hometown, and wave my pay check in her face, going "Neener, neener, neener!" :P

Also, I think it's only a problem if you're just kinda short on funds, and you aren't particularly brilliant. I could be wrong, though. I have no idea... *shrug* But I do know that you can do all the felgercarb online. I mean, otherwise it'd take, like, forever!

If I were you, I'd go back to my hometown, and wave my pay check in her face, going "Neener, neener, neener!" :P

Also, I think it's only a problem if you're just kinda short on funds, and you aren't particularly brilliant. I could be wrong, though. I have no idea... *shrug* But I do know that you can do all the felgercarb online. I mean, otherwise it'd take, like, forever!

I've met plenty of incredibly stupid students with no money at college. I think the kicker is that they CAME with a lot of money, but didn't stay that way, heh.

The only thing keeping you back then, is the fact that you don't think you're smart.

Me or someone else? I am getting through school just fine and I more than passed the test to get in, but it was a bit easy.

I shouldn't really say I'm not smart, just not smart with math... And my papers tend to have long sequences of words that have a period but aren't truly sentences if I get overly excited on an argumentative essay.

Never had that problem graduating. But that was 4/5 years ago and I've noticed everything administrative since then has gone online and become an annoying hassle where NO ONE knows the answers to questions. It's always being sent in a huge circle of people who can't help and send you back to the first person or "Do it online".

Happy to be done with it.

So...OP of this thread...this is just the beginning of the felgercarb you'll go through.

Never had that problem graduating. But that was 4/5 years ago and I've noticed everything administrative since then has gone online and become an annoying hassle where NO ONE knows the answers to questions. It's always being sent in a huge circle of people who can't help and send you back to the first person or "Do it online".

Happy to be done with it.

So...OP of this thread...this is just the beginning of the felgercarb you'll go through.

Signing up online for mine was rather easy....and I got the books and started studying for it a month afterwards in August, soooo, not too hard. ^^ I wonder where the hassle part comes in.

Back