Sci-Fi Doomsday

I watched Doomsday the other night, with somewhat modest expectations. The reviews hadn't been extremely favorable, the film did almost no real box office, and its two biggest stars are Bob Hoskins and Malcomn McDowell, both in supporting roles. I was prepared to be slightly entertained, and figured that there might be a good fight scene or two.

I was totally unprepared for what I got. Doomsday is smart, quick-paced, and well-executed; it's essentially a cross between The Road Warrior[/url] and Escape From New York, with some elements from films as diverse as 28 Weeks Later, Blade Runner and Braveheart: a deadly virus breaks out in present day Scotland, and to contain it they wall off the entire northern half of England and leave those left behind to die. Fast forward twenty years, and the virus has somehow rematerialized in the middle of London. A military team, lead by the stunning Rhona Mitra (doing her very best Kate Beckinsale-from-Underworld) goes into the hot zone in search of something unexpected: survivors. But what they find behind the wall is certainly a great deal more than they expected...

Have you seen Doomsday? If so, what did you think? If not... well, run out and rent the movie and come back again. Definitely a must-see for any fan of action, sci-fi, and even horror or fantasy.

(y)

Haven't seen it yet (it's in my queue).

Doomsday is smart, quick-paced, and well-executed; it's essentially a cross between The Road Warrior[/url] and Escape From New York, with some elements from films as diverse as 28 Weeks Later, Blade Runner and Braveheart:
From what I've seen of the previews, I can understand some of the comparisons but Blade Runner? In style or story line?

I tried to watch it, but then lost interest about a quarter of the way through and never finished it.

Haven't seen it yet (it's in my queue).

From what I've seen of the previews, I can understand some of the comparisons but Blade Runner? In style or story line?
Both. The future London presented in the story is very cyberpunky... and the story focuses on the same type of dystopic worldview, although in an obviously less serious way.

Back