Politics Downloading Music

If they loved music, and not just the profits, they'd put their songs into the public domain -- but they haven't.

If you don't want to pay for all the songs on a CD, then just buy the songs you do want on a service like iTunes for 99c each.

Double Agent said:
and it is just like the judge in the whole trial said.. (paraphrasing.. lol) "downloading music for free is just like having a photocopier in a library." and its true. when you photocopy from a book, are you not taking copyrighted material? and yes, the library may have charges, but they are only for the use of paper and the photocopier itself, believe me, i work in a library. so what is going to happen next? photocopying at a library will be illegal?
Good point! And I agree with the judge :cool:

~~Spongy!

Double Agent said:
G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
maybe people just don't have the money to pay for $20 bucks a CD. if they want to risk downloading music at the expense of viruses, then it's their choice. most of the songs that artists put on their CD's are fillers with only a couple good songs. why should you pay so much for a CD that's not even worth it?
EXACTLY!!!!! why pay so much money for like 2 good songs and a bunch of felgercarb?!?
it is legal in canada now i believe. and it is just like the judge in the whole trial said.. (paraphrasing.. lol) "downloading music for free is just like having a photocopier in a library." and its true. when you photocopy from a book, are you not taking copyrighted material? and yes, the library may have charges, but they are only for the use of paper and the photocopier itself, believe me, i work in a library. so what is going to happen next? photocopying at a library will be illegal?
it is ridiculous! if you are a good artist, who makes a cd WORTH buying at 20+ dollars, then people will buy it. god what are these multi-millionaires complaining about? how much money do you have exactly? i'm sorry you can afford all the cds you want. not all of us can.
notice how it is only some artists who care. it is because they know that half their cds are just filler, and aren't worth $20. the good artists trust their fans to buy the cd if they want it. because it means something to them. the people who whine about illegal downloading are just money hungry. yeah boo-f*cking-hoo.
OMG! do u really think that the only option is downloading legally and buying a whole cd? did u read my past post? IF U DOWNLOAD LEGALLY, U DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE CD! I'M NOT SAYING THAT U SHOULD GO OUT AND SPEND MONEY ON A WHOLE CD, U CAN DOWNLOAD THE ONE OR TWO SONGS THAT U LIKE FROM THAT CD ON LEGAL DOWNLOADS ALSO!

geez, r u blind? i don't think you should go out and buy a whole cd when u only want one, two, or three songs. im not saying i go out and buy the cds instead of downloading legally! im saying, the same thing u do with illegal downloads is with legal, except you pay 99c per song, not $18 or $20 per cd! You don't buy the whole cd, so what the hell are u talking about?

one more thing: did u notice this thread is about downloading legally or illegally? im supporting downloading legally over illegally, not spending twenty or eighteen dollars over downloading illegally. I know some people don't have the money to buy a whole cd, THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF LEGAL DOWNLOADS! Unless you don't have two dollars to spend on the one or two songs u want from a certain cd, i don't c the problem.

and there is no way that kazaa and such are making artists money: if you don't pay for it, it's not, period. and it is your decision which way to download, but u should just know the advantages and disadvantages of both. don't you understand that when u say artists make so much money anyway u r talking about the money they make from people buying their songs! so if ur saying "illegal downloads only results in a little less money for them-so what?" ur wrong, because it is the money from those songs that provide them the money ur talking about. its not a little less, its everything less.

the problem i have is i listen to music that's not really known in Belgium ... i love artists like Chantal Kreviazuk, Rosie Thomas etc, you don't really find their cd's in shops here so i mostly download their songs ...

and another thing ... if you hear like this really great song in "Alias" or another show/movie you're not gonna buy an whole album just because you like this one song ...

I used to be dead set against DLing stuff illeagally- like i would scream at my friends who did it
but now... eh whatever if they wanna do it fine. I personally dont. I have cd's of illegally dled music that ppl gave me as gifts but.. whatever
I guess as long as the ppl know they what they are doing is illegal and they realized that they could be in trouble for it then what they choose to do is up to them but I hate when ppl are like 'no its not illegal for me because im special' thats such BS

i used to download music illegaly, but i quit. Also this was before any of the downloading music was a big deal(way back when :lol:smiley:. My mom has been considering one of those sites where you pay a fee for a month and you can download as much as you want. I think paying to download music is reasonable, as long as they aren't going to overcharge you. I don't want to spend $10 a song, but when it's less than $3 or so, I'd pay for it.

I used to have Kazaa and I had like 300 songs, and then our comp crashed and my dad told me since the RIAA was cracking down I couldn't get Kazaa back, so I have the Napster where you pay along with I-Tunes, cause they had the whole Pepsi bottlecap deal going on

I was in love with Napster back in the day. But then that whole lawsuit happened and I stayed away from DLing. But then I found WinMX and it's my saving grace.

Former Follower said:
good for u, dana. luckily, with iTunes, its 99c per song, and no restraints.
i found another site, where you pay an amount each month and you can download as much as you possibly want. it just takes forever to download. :asleep:

Joyie said:
I was in love with Napster back in the day. But then that whole lawsuit happened and I stayed away from DLing. But then I found WinMX and it's my saving grace.
that's what one i'm using at the moment. yesterday all i downloaded was ridiculous songs, like Which Backstreet Boy is Gay? and there were some other ones. :lol:

that's one of the reasons i hate illegal downloading programs. some people don't care about the viruses, then they realize its coming from those stupid songs they download. then they complain that they're comp crashed, saying "i just used another program". it's only gonna happen again, as long as you download illegally. if you don't care about viruses and what happens to ur comp, ok. but no one should use programs like Kazza and WinMX and say it's OK and then complain about they're comp crashing and wonder why it's crashing.

Kazaa Lite I think is doing bad things to my computer (mostly taking up space that I seriously need). Sadly, I think I must delete it.

My issue with things like iTunes and the new Napster is that most of the music I listen to is obscure. It's hard to even find what I'm looking for on Kazaa sometimes. Does the new Napster or one of the other programs where you pay to download mp3s have a lot of relatively unknown artists?

Back