Dr. Who quits already!

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
After just one airing of the new Dr. Who series in the UK the actor portraying Dr. Who has quit! :eek:

Actor Christopher Eccleston has quit as Doctor Who after just one episode of the new series has been screened, the BBC has confirmed.

Bookies have tipped Casanova actor David Tennant as the hot favourite to replace Eccleston as the Time Lord, with odds of 1/10.

Other contenders for the role include Bill Nighy and comedian Eddie Izzard. Eccleston, whose first appearance as the ninth Doctor attracted 10 million viewers, said he feared being typecast.
Full Article: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Eccleston quits Doctor Who role

not totally bad as he will be serving out the first series completely.

if anything we will see the emphasis on metamnorphis upon a serving doctors death, which is part of the Doctors lore. a quick change after one series in an ever changing world we live in, where one hit wonders are the norm, will fit right in with a more modern audience.

the rest of the old timers out there,............. don't forget! this is kids programming after all :smiley:

that is correct, as soon as a child hits 16 he wouldn't want to be watching this sort of programming, lol!

no, i haven't looked into the number of episodes that are to air, however i saw a reference to a "christmas special" which being 8 months away suggests a broken up pattern of airing which i absolutely hate. it's enough to start remembering when a show is on each week without gaps in the airing!!!

No.... I mean the Dr. has 16 regenerations before he's done & over. It's been a while but I think that was a plot line as to what the resolution with The Master was.

Edit for update: Scifi.com

BBC Apologizes To Who Star

The BBC, which earlier reported that Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston was leaving the show after the first season, issued an unusual apology to the actor for mischaracterizing his reasons for departing. The BBC said that it failed to consult Eccleston before confirming the actor's departure and that it erroneously attributed statements to the actor that he was leaving because he feared being typecast and found the show's schedule grueling.

In fact, the BBC reported, the network broke an agreement with Eccleston not to reveal that he had planned to film just one season of the hit show all along. "The BBC regrets not speaking to Christopher before it responded to the press questions on Wednesday 30 March," the BBC's head of drama and commissioning, Jane Tranter, said in a statement. "The BBC further regrets that it falsely attributed a statement to Christopher and apologizes to him."

The BBC has already ordered up a second season of the new Doctor Who, which is airing in the United Kingdom to record ratings. The BBC confirmed that it is in talks with actor David Tennant as a possible replacement for Eccleston.

Edit #2: New Dr. Who actor has been announced....

The BBC reported that British actor David Tennant (U.K. TV's Casanova) will star in the upcoming second season of its Doctor Who series, taking over from Christopher Eccleston, who left at the end of season one.

Back