Dragon Physics

Dragon wings: Better in the center of the back or attached to the shoulder?

• Center of back of body

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Attached to shoulders

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Apparently, the dragon lost it's wings and any ability to breathe fire during its evolution. See photo of the Komodo dragon below. Maybe we should ask Anne McAffrey her opinion, she's an expert you know! Komodo Dragons and Their Islands
komodo10.jpg

dragons wings

many years ago a was head of a design team working on film set and prop design - we spent 2 months on dragons for one film and came up with: on the shoulderas a glider Massive chest, requiring a substantial heatsource to take of on the thermals but a long slow walk home if the dragon came down

Hayden, interesting! Any chance of revealing what film it was (assuming that it made it's way to the theaters)?

£970,000 preproduction and never made! I was told that problems were legal issues over the name 'Dragonlords' and also a major film co. working on similar. It was fun while it lasted!

Tha's pretty cheap for some movies. I always love to read about movies that were completely made but then shelved by the studios for one reason or another.

remember that the prproduction costs were before anything was made or even the cast finalised - the late David Lean was discussing production/direction when the axes fell - I'm told one of them was Anne McCaffrey -don't know to this day if this was true. However I still hold the copyright on the dragon designs/mechanics.

hayden said:
remember that the prproduction costs were before anything was made or even the cast finalised - the late David Lean was discussing production/direction when the axes fell - I'm told one of them was Anne McCaffrey -don't know to this day if this was true. However I still hold the copyright on the dragon designs/mechanics.

You hold the copyright? So where do the wings attach? Always the same place or various according to the type of dragon?

I've seen some dragons that have limbs at the shoulder AND th hip with wing in between.
Then there are dragons that have wings similar to bats and flying skwirls.

Puff had dinky wings but he was magical.

:P

These dragons were in effect large gliders think flying fox)-attached at the shoulder. I think the wings can be anywhere at any size depending on your imagination but the debate on how dragons fly will always be with us. (Incedently our radio-controlled mockup flew as a 18foot model!)

Back