Dragonrealms newbie?

For the record, I've rolled an empath and am LOVING it. I spend a lot of time in Crossing and would be happy to heal if anyone needs it ^^ Oramiwe

Empaths are incredibly fun to play. I've always been a healer in every game I play, and that will probably always be the case. I had to get used to not being able to fight though, after playing EQ2. Didn't take long, but it was quite an adjustment.

Edit: Had to readjust to not being able to fight. Heheh I went from DR to EQ2 and back to DR. Funtimes.

I play healers quite often, usually a healer a rogue or a ranger type. I think DRs healing system is just so unique, I love it. From an RP standpoint it also makes for very interesting characters. Only wish the guild were a little less spammy and a little more RP :D Other than that, having a blast and half.

I'm one of the people who likes to play a part-time healer. Take druids in WoW for example... I'll heal you or myself when it's needed but it's not my primary job. I really enjoy knowing just when to switch roles and when the time comes I damn well jump right in and enthusiastically start handing out the hit points. But that isn't my primary choice of occupation. It's one of the reasons I'm debating a ranger/healer combination in HJ. Healing hybrids rock when they are allowed to actually be hybrids.

In DR, I'm more of a ... combat/Battle empath. I like to go along on hunts/invasion defense parties for field healing as well as using what little "offensive" spells I have in combat (ie Lethargy, NB if needed, Innocence if the party is overwhelmed).

In EQ2, I was a fury, so enjoyed the hybrid healer/nuker capabilities.

Pirates!

I went to Aesry to find some juggling goods and to see some of the world. Well waiting for the boat to leave the dock to Riverhaven, as I wanted some other stuff from there and Rossman's Landing, I had like 15 minutes so I decided to look up some maps online and when I came back I was dead from a pirate so that was all my fault. I just didn't expect an attack sitting in the dock so that is the first thing I learned.

Well I had no choice really but to depart. I have one favor left. Something else I learned though was that I go straight back to the ship more or less so I start getting stuff out of my grave and get dressed etc and another pirate comes. I try to flee but get stunned and these guys kill me in two hits anyways. Well there is like 5 minutes left for the boat to leave so I take my time to depart and have no favors now so I am definitely worried.

I get back get on the boat and it takes off. I get like two items out of my grave and another pirate shows up. I am just retreating the whole time and keeping away from him so I think maybe I will last until we dock. Another pirate shows up and I get stunned no retreating and dead. I didn't have much spirit left and if I had really known how it worked. I would have waited to arrive in Riverhaven before departing. So I did learn a lot about the game and death but I had some good stuff from kind folks helping set me up.

Now I am back to scratch but have really learned a bit about combat.

Not sure when I will be rolling an empath again but probably after I decide to start my account and not just be on the trial because I can't buy a character slot until then.

Favors. Don't leave home, or your keyboard, without them.

In DR, I'm more of a ... combat/Battle empath. I like to go along on hunts/invasion defense parties for field healing as well as using what little "offensive" spells I have in combat (ie Lethargy, NB if needed, Innocence if the party is overwhelmed).

In EQ2, I was a fury, so enjoyed the hybrid healer/nuker capabilities.

I love the healer/smiter role. My main in DAoC was a Smite Cleric. Lots of fun to play, but not always a group favourite. Heal first. Smite second. Be a back up healer, if you can.

Ahh I meant to post that if anyone needs aid of any kind in DragonRealms, let me know. You can "pigeon" me on AIM at EmpathNaeya (don't worry, will RP out the actual meeting in game) or find me (Naeya - duh!) around Langenfirth or Therenborough.

I take side trips to the Crossings "sometimes" but tend not to stay very long.

Also take a look at www.elanthipedia.com if you need info about DR. We're slowly getting it fleshed out. Let me know if you need help with the wiki too, I'm one of the two active admins.

Ok that is all! (for now)

Well I am coming back once again it seems and this time my girlfriend is giving it a shot. I hope that works out well but it will be her first MUD and she is also directionally challenged so getting around for her may be rough.

I have added you Naeya and I also have your site bookmarked.

Now all I need to do is figure out what I want to be :smiley:

I am crazy directionally challenged. The best way is to figure out the plays you want to go and memorize the letters you need to hit to get there. Most of my traveling was done with scripts, or with someone holding my hand. Shoskal spent a lot of time dragging Tsuim through the orchards :smiley: I rarely went anywhere I didn't know alone. Cause I got lost a LOT.

Ahh, reading through this thread makes we want to start up DR again so badly. I honestly miss visiting places like Shard, Leth, Riverhaven, and all the cool little hidden places everywhere and whichway. However, for all the fun of DR, the numbers behind it all (economy, combat, levels, skills) are just too messed up, and have been for ages.

*bursts into a lilting rendition of "Brother Can You Spare A Plat?"*

~Dune Walker~

That's kinda the point. There's that one tavern where drinks cost a plat each. Was the birthplace of the song. Gosh, I can't recall the name of the Bard who wrote it! Dangit!

~Dune Walker~

Edit: Ooh! I found it!

Brother Can You Spare A Plat - by Therilliar Du-Onlor

Forgive me friends but I'm a bard
and my life, though fulfilling, is rather hard
I sing and play and compose all day
I get lots of applause but no damned pay!

Busking away in the dusty town street
trying to keep up a rapid downbeat
people just blithely pass me by
without a "hey", and without a "hi"

My throat is parched, my mouth is dry
but Taelbert's prices are much too high
if I don't drink soon I am gonna die
so please kind sir note my empty hat
Brother can ye spare a plat?

Now a plat's a lot, in this we're agreed
but its Taelbert's fault, that man is full of greed!
it costs more for a nip than a sword and a bow
how a bard's to stay drunk I do not know!

A sober bard! What a pitiful sight
it's enough to give your kids a fright!
bards play best when they are full
of rum or grog or apple mull

My throat is parched, my mouth is dry
but Taelbert's prices are much too high
if I don't drink soon I am gonna die
so please kind sir note my empty hat
Brother can ye spare a plat?

In ale the fount of creativity
that's why drink's a bard's proclivity
if ye do enjoy our tunes so truly