Dragonrealms newbie?

Speaking of getting a hand shot off, in case you didn't know, when attacking you can aim for specific body parts. Particularly useful if you're fighting a well armored opponent with a weak spot or if you wish to disarm your opponent. Using commands like "slice neck" can be a good way to end a fight quickly if you're skilled enough ;)

Almost? He did, running around Crossing with a bloody stump *shudder* I had my first death last night, five goblins stunning me and knocking me down constantly while I was trying to flee. Bastards

I haven't yet run into any asshats, I tend to be able to spot and ignore them though. I got slapped in my guildhall once by a raving crazy but I completely ignored her and went about what I was doing. I think I missed Alysea getting thumped by a handful of seconds, started the game logging on then went afk, came back and it was all in my chat log. I'm not sure how Tsuim would have reacted.

And I've found that three good claws can hack a goblins arm off :D I'll have to try the neck

Just wanted to put a little update here, in case someone wants to find me in game.

I am now, Gwynthor a Dwarven Empath :smiley:

I am probably not rerolling for a little bit but I would like to still try a War Mage for a little and also maybe a Thief but I am not sure I will find the guild.

Just wanted to put a little update here, in case someone wants to find me in game.

I am now, Gwynthor a Dwarven Empath :smiley:

I am probably not rerolling for a little bit but I would like to still try a War Mage for a little and also maybe a Thief but I am not sure I will find the guild.

Consider yourself throw on AIM and hunted down...

I thought college was supposed to somehow open up new carreer opportunities..but most places around where I live wrinkle their nose when they hear I'm a college student currently.

Yeah, it's exactly that.

I remember working at the central Maine postal facility several years back and having them cringe when I told them that I (after I was hired for the Christmas season) was a college student, even though I had placed my preference in hours well before I started working there. Apparently my 'preferred schedule' was supposed to be just a meaningless waste of ink and they intended to use me however long they wanted. The 'college' issue, though, made them think twice about that, even though they tried to put me through a guilt trip on several occasions because I would absolutely refuse to work past midnight when I had class at 8AM.

It's just one example, but I gather most operations would work close to this when hiring temporary or short-term workers. Save for cheap places like fast food restaurants and Wal-Mart.

It's internship and the time after college when the jobs would open up.

Actually I'm not entirely sure Walmart will look much at applications if you're not available whenever. They'd rather use someone they can give inconvenient hours to.

Well, I think they will, but then they'll change their mind after the first few weeks and put you on a schedule that best fits them...and if you don't like it, they cut hours drastically or let you go all together.

I had a couple of college friends who had such an experience. :-/

That's a big problem I've had with jobs. I worked at Sears multiple times (three or four years seasonal, sometimes stayed for a while after) and my manager, although she was a nice person, would NEVER put me on a stable schedule. If I complained, the next couple of weeks would have less hours. It's not that they couldn't give out steady hours, I know they did for many people. They just liked to put me into the crappy ones because I took it.

I spent a lot of days working until 11 and then going back the next morning. Those are the W O R S T days ever.

Yeah I've found most places won't even look at my application because I'm in college, the other problems is my hours and schedule is never the same from one quarter to another, still with the amoutn of homework I get I suppose having a job wouldn't be all that practical anyways. >.<.

I do have like a side hobby/job thing that I've tried to sell stuff from but it never sold all that great so far *shrugs*. Hopefully when I graduate then I'll have a steady job ^^.

Those inconvient work hours are such a pain too. I know a few people that either had to quit their jobs, find something else or quit college because their jobs would not accomadate their school schedules.

Nice to know I'm not just imagining my job problems. I suppose it's good sense for them to prefer non-college students for a job that doesn't require a degree. I mean, the help will be problematic while they're going to school, always needing the schedule to be around them, and then, when they're out, they'll quit for better prospects.

But that means it's getting near impossible to get through college.

If you're putting yourself through college (which I was at one point) you can't schedule your work around your classes, you have to scedule your class around work.

The way I worked it for a semester was working 10-4 Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon-Wed. On Mon and Wed I went to one class in the evenings. On Tue. and Thur. when I didn't work I went to school at 7am and didn't get home till nearly 9pm. I never had a day off.

I've worked at various resturants and at one my job was to filter through applications that got dropped off. Anyone who had a very picky schedule, be that college, another job what have you got thrown away and never even seen by a manager. The same when I worked at Wal-Mart, they refused to work around a schedule. In most entry level jobs you're required to be very flexable because those with senority get to be picky, your job is to come in and work whatever wonky hours they want to give you.

And on that note, I worked for Applebee's for four years. I can't count the number of college grads I worked with. At my most recent store I worked with two people with bach. degrees, one with a graduate and one with a masters believe it or not. All of them worked waiting tables because they couldn't find a better paying job, degree or no. You'd be suprised how much of the 'skill less' work force have educations, how many work their tails off to pay those student loans they thought they'd have a good paying job to pay off. You'd also be suprised how much money a non-educated person can pull in, how many jobs offer great training programs in their fields that open up six figure jobs after a few years climbing the ladder. It is possible to be 'over qualified' for certain jobs. That was one of the problems that my friend with the masters degree had, she couldn't find a job in her field (forget what it was at the moment, English Lit? Something along those lines) and had a problem getting jobs in other fields when her training was discovered. She guessed that people didn't want to hire her thinking that she'd request more money or be leaving the company to persue her career when it opened up. When really she was just trying to pay her loans and feed her daughter.

One of my best friends in Chicago had a bach. degree in history, she worked waiting tables at Applebee's to pay off loans (she went to an expensive school believing that it would give her the best education and the so the best jobs). Her husband was a year older than her, only had a high school diploma and was making pretty good money. He got a promotion while I knew her well that allowed her to quit resturant work and stay at home. She has a few good words to say about the job market :(

Certain fields are flooded with people with degrees, all needing entry positions and some just aren't that in demand. If you pick the right field, get educated and find a niche in the job market that really needs people like you you'll get a great job. If you're part of a very popular program, well all of your class mates are going to be your job competion down the road, as well as the people in the same program as the various other colleges in your area.

Wow I just wrote too much....

...If I go to all the trouble of getting a degree, only to find the no place will hire me in my field, and then the dude interviewing me for some crappy waiting job says something like "I think we're going to go a different route", or something, I'll be forced to say "That's ok. Besides, I don't think this place will be here long enough for me to make any real money. You know, what with the fire 'n all..." as I'm leaving. Yep-yep.

Well, as soon as I reactivated my DR account, I stepped away from the desk at work for less than 30 seconds...

Boom, laptop is gone in the middle of character creation.

My wife still wants me to play, though, so maybe I'll try to pick it up again some time in the future. At home, with 2 fire extinguishers ready and a gas mask on. Oh, and a spotter on the roof for incoming missiles/UFO attacks.

Back