Drifting

So I've hit another of these inexplicable lulls in my life, where I am isolated, alone, relaxed, with no real worries, no real duties to fulfill, and no real opportunity to do much of anything. Everything I want to do I have to wait to be able to do, and by that time things will have picked up again.

I get oddly pensive at times like these. I enjoy them immensely, because a break is always welcome, but they always seem to take me by surprise. I am as driftwood, lost in a sea of thought, accompanied only by soothing musical selections and my own good cooking.

I can't travel anywhere really. I've not the means at the moment.

I'm trying to devote myself to writing something, but nothing is inspiring me. My muse stepped out to go stare at the sea, doing for me what distance prevents. I'm left sitting, looking out at the bases of dry foothills that rise up before the distant, beautiful mountains. The autumn wind is refreshing though. The leaves are beautiful, and peaceful.

Driftwood. It's the perfect example of how I feel. The endless blue stretching on all around me, serenity and beauty. And yet nothing to do or experience beside that sort of lost, enviable drifting. Eventually I will wash ashore somewhere and life will carry on. For now, I feel so untethered, and so... not restless... but desiring of something to do.

So I'm up waaaay late, rechecking my favorite websites that I know haven't updated, and now rambling, sleepily and meanderingly, here. Graceful guitar lulls me into a waking, dreamless sleep. I'm casting out into the waters, trying to see if I can find anything. If I don't, ah well, I'll float on.

To think, so many people wish they could spend the rest of their days living like this. I think I'd go mad if it happened for me now, but perhaps in years to come, I'll look fondly upon a simple life of books and the digital world, of sleeping late and cooking for hours, of beautiful music and not a soul around.

Better yet, I'd gladly spend this kind of time, so long as I could have some sort of company. No man is an island and all that. Someone to drift with would make it perhaps the greatest of fates.

*yawns and decides to stop rambling and get some sleep*

If you read this far, thanks! Gave me something to do while drowsiness took hold of me. I hope that perhaps I've given you something of your own in return for your kindness. Ideas, dreams, inspiration, or even just mild amusement or enjoyable spending of time.

~Dune Walker, Rambler of Dreaming~

Very nice. I often feel the same way. Except my days lately aren't like driftwood. Instead I've just been waiting for a deadline to pass and until that time I scour my internet games. I feel more like I'm just caught in a gladiator arena all day. There is no music or sound here. Only my breathing and heartbeat. After a while all I see is grey and slight spatters of red. And it just goes over and over and over.....

I used to envy those times. I don't think I have many more to look forward to, now.

How about writing about just that? I mean, it worked for Seinfeld. A show about nothing.

Maybe write a book about nothing in particular. Sometimes ramblings are fun to read.

drifting-6.jpg

Back