Duke Nukem Forever- RIP

Gate

Cadet
Rest in peace Duke, you had a long and fruitless struggle but eventually time claims everyone.
Link

I really hate to say this, but Duke Nukem Forever was the only thing standing between Hero's Journey and the title 'King of Vaporware.' Watch out for this year's upcoming vaporware list... HJ is likely to take a seat at the top. :_|

Nope, though they did swap engines at least once.. I think started with the quake engine and landed on the unreal engine by the end.

They have too much work on it. It sounds like by reading the blog of the now out-of-work designers, that 3D Realms wanted to create the most in-depth, stirring, and greatest game of all time. With a relatively small amount of work I bet it could be released anytime.

Somebody will buy it, polish it up and release it.

Nearly finished products disappear all of the time and aren't saved. I'm not so sure it'll be resurrected.

This one is very different. A decade of work won't be over-looked by any major gaming company. It'd be like building a city for 1,000,000 people from scratch, it has running water, electric plants, sewage, fiber to the wall, industries, commercial, and residental. Then running out of money at 600,000 people capacity and ditching it.

Somebody's going to buy it up and get it going.

Memories of the past obviously don't keep a company afloat. There is no money to be made with Duke anymore. Lets be honest though, this isn't the same as losing Mario or Sonic. I'd wager only 75% of even true gamers in the 90's actually played the game. It's sad to see any game company go under but it goes to show you, one must stay original and always on the top of their game ( no pun intended ).

Back