Sci-Fi Dune (2021)

Title: Dune

Tagline: Beyond fear, destiny awaits.

Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, Chang Chen, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem, David Dastmalchian, Babs Olusanmokun, Golda Rosheuvel, Roger Yuan, Benjamin Clémentine, Souad Faress, Seun Shote, Neil Bell, Oliver Ryan, Stephen Collins, Charlie Rawes, Richard Carter, Benjamin Dilloway, Elmi Rashid Elmi, Tachia Newall, Gloria Obianyo, Fehinti Balogun, Dora Kápolnai-Schvab, Joelle Amery, Jimmy Walker, Paul Bullion, Milena Sidorova, János Timkó, Jean Gilpin, Marianne Faithfull, Ellen Dubin

Release: 2021-09-15

Runtime: 155

Plot: Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence-a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential-only those who can conquer their fear will survive.
Dune (2021)

So far, two adaptations of this book have hit our screens. First, the Kyle Machlachan, Patrick Stewart version from 1986 which, imho, was ultimate garbage. The second, which I have some grudging respect for, was the Scy-Fy Channel version with Alec Newman that was long enough for the plot to unfold correctly, although I thought the costuming was horrid.

Now the director of Blade Runner 2049, Denis Villeneuve, is going to reboot this movie, saying he will make the book into a two parter. What I've read so far on imdb, some of the casting seems very interesting. I am unfamiliar with the actors who will play Paul Atreides and his mother, the Lady Jessica, (Timothy Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguason, respectively) but they've hired Dave Bautista as Glossu Rabban and Skellen Skarsgard as the Baron Harkonnen. (My man better gain a ton of weight or wear one helluva fat suit). I find the casting of Bautista, especially, to be very interesting. Between Riddick, Guardians of the Galaxy, Blade Runner 2049, Bautista has proven to me, at least, to have some serious sci-fi chops.

Does this version pique anyone else's interest? Or should we let sleeping dogs lie? The conceptual integrity of the book is something that is tough to translate on the big screen, but I'm hoping Villeneuve is successful at it.

"Sometimes it is better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster."

this should be at least a six-part series to do it justice
somebody wrote that television has finally found its ideal format, the miniseries or extended series. stuff like Breaking Bad and Buffy are perfect for extended but not infinite runs.

And you can throw in Charlotte Rampling as Rev Mother Mohaim. They still have a ton of casting to do here, and I have no idea when filming is due to start, but I'm getting too old to wait much longer. I can't imagine who they'll cast as Leto, Chani, Feyd,or Stilgar. I do know who I'd like to see, but Villeneuve has yet to contact me for an opinion.

They probably can't afford everyone on my wish list, but here goes anyway:
Liam Neeson for the Duke, Gary Oldman for Stilgar, (or Daniel Day-Lewis, but he says he's retired. Chameleon enough to pull this off, I think.) Oldman would also make a good Thufir Hawat. Possibly Zoe Saldana for Chani, but, nothing personal Zoe, she may be a bit too old for the part. Has the perfect exotic look, however. I'm having trouble placing an actor for Feyd, so if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I'm being a bit facetious here, but by the description in the book of the physical appearance of Gurney Halleck, I would say Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull would be perfect. Damn fine musician, imho, but have no idea if the man can act or not.

I do hope Villeneuve does this book justice, however. I'd like to finally see a good cinematic adaptation of the novel.

One thing I did appreciate about the Scy-Fy miniseries was the expanded roles of both Chani and Irulan. I'd heard rumors about the release of a so called "European" version of this mini series, and after buying the dvd collection,
I saw several scenes in the dvd that were not on American tv, mostly topless shots of a few of the actors. The spice orgy scene was different, a topless shot of Barbora Kodetova, (Chani) nude scenes of Feyd in the "hot tub" with his babes, but the only change in plot was this. In the American version, a viewer is left with the impression that Irulan had sex with Feyd to get the info she wanted, but in the dvd version you find that the bald lady who was a part of Feyd's playthings was a Bene Gesserit imprinter who was placed in Feyd's harem, by Irulan to spy on the Harkonnens. When Feyd was coming on to Irulan, at the last minute, instead of doing it with Irulan, the imprinter took Irulan's place, and Feyd succumbed to the imprinter instead.

Here's to a, hopefully, decisive interpretation of this book to the big screen. One can only hope......

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

So far, the casting has been somewhat interesting: Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho, Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck, Javier Bardem as Stilgar, possibly Zendaya as Chani. Oscar Isaac will be Leto Atreides, but I'm personally unfamiliar with him.

Decent, and a little surprising casting, and I am tentatively looking forward to the 2020 release. This could be quite good if Villeneuve doesn't frack this up.........

"It's an old habit. I spent my whole life trying not to be careless. Women and children can afford to be careless, but not men."