Dying in game

sial

Cadet
I was wondering what everyone thaught about in game deaths and how there handled in different games. I for one dont care much for the respawning to safe places with all your eq that you see on alot of games nowdays. I miss the days when you and your group would spend countless hours devising a plan to get your gear back, and the bonding experiences you gained with other players at these times.

also anyone know how hero's journey is goin to handle in game deaths?

I really dislike the idea of a perma death. Thats why I wont be playing Darkfall, I think that's what it's called. I think death is a very touchy subject when it comes to MMO's. WoW did a decent job, but I really hate anything frustrating like corpse looting.

L2 was a POS when it came to death. Possibly drop all of your gear? Thats ridiculous.

I think, the best possible situation out there for deaths...
Is to kick you out of the mission/instance and you can't get back in.

Originally posted by frostydf2@Apr 7 2006, 08:56 PM
L2 was a POS when it came to death. Possibly drop all of your gear? Thats ridiculous.
Personally, I loved L2's death penalty. It made dying a bad thing. I dislike games where I dont care if I die. WoW for example is, for me, just about the worst death penalty a game can have.

ya I agree with the death penalty losing a good chunk of exp and having to chase down your corpse makes you use stradegy instead of just throwing yourself at things over and over intill its gone. but i dont think id much care for a perma death situation either. seems it would take peoples desire to take chances in the game away.

well in everquest online adventers for PS2 when you died you got debt and you had to pay it back half of your EXP would go to debt that i didnt mind much but it would take forever to get out the higher lvl you got

True. I played EQ for PS2 and liked that death penalty system as well.

I'm not caught up on a particular type of death penalty; I just personally want it to be harsh enough so that people actually care when they die.

Go play FFXI, and tell me if losing EXP is ok. You'll punch a wall if you die at level 20 becuase you just realized you lost the last 3 hours of work you put into the game. Same thing with L2. Once you get level 30+ it takes about a hour to get back the exp you lose. LEvel 50+ you just wasted an entire day.

Its pointless to lose exp.

It's pointless to play FFXI.

I played, got to 56, died sometimes, but I didn't care about the exp loss.

It was not such an impact that I didn't want to die. It took a little bit to make it up, but it wasn't so bad I really cared.

well i played FFXI til lvl 24 being a WHM was super hard never had money for spells healing and buffing made it fun but buying spells was mad crazy and FFXI debt wasnt that bad at lvl 20 cuz me being a whm i dies a lot but i got it back fast and im thinking in this game dying your just gonna lose exp like in the most recent MMORPG's

Death penalties are like salt. It takes different amounts to satisfy different tastes.

I prefer a death penalty that makes death inconvenient and mildly annoying - enough so that I try hard not to die.

But I don't like death penalties where the experience reward for an entire evening of my playtime is erased because of one misfortune.

Personally I would like to see a system where you could choose your penalty. If you choose to accept a big penalty for dieing, you get a greater rate of xp for your kills. If you choose no death penalty, you get a lesser rate of xp.

But having lived under the death penalties of many, many games, ranging from the very severe to the non-existant, I really don't care that much. It's not a game maker or breaker for me. ;)

Originally posted by Redfang@Apr 8 2006, 11:02 PM
Death penalties are like salt. It takes different amounts to satisfy different tastes.

I prefer a death penalty that makes death inconvenient and mildly annoying - enough so that I try hard not to die.

But I don't like death penalties where the experience reward for an entire evening of my playtime is erased because of one misfortune.

Personally I would like to see a system where you could choose your penalty. If you choose to accept a big penalty for dieing, you get a greater rate of xp for your kills. If you choose no death penalty, you get a lesser rate of xp.

But having lived under the death penalties of many, many games, ranging from the very severe to the non-existant, I really don't care that much. It's not a game maker or breaker for me. ;)
I don't plan on losing anyways ;)

yeah i plan on being a legand ya know when i log on new people follow me around and have storys spreading about me lol :smiley: some .hack stuff

As much as I dislike L2 (or what it became to be precise) and especially NCSoft - that's not really true. As a red you could drop some stuff, but never your whole stuff. In purple/purple or "official" warzones like sieges you never drop. Currently even as red you don't drop, as long as you keep PK count under 5.

But there's something far more worse now - xp loss. When you were under let's say 40 it was like fart in the wind. Now (70+) it's like... uhhh. But then, you have 100% rez scrolls now and instant soe scrolls, now.

L2 has never been too logical.. and passed ridiculousy threshold long time ago.

As for death penalties in general - it all depends on the game design. I wouldn't even mind permadeth, if the game was designed properly around such concept.

Originally posted by soltys@Apr 8 2006, 11:15 PM

As much as I dislike L2 (or what it became to be precise) and especially NCSoft - that's not really true. As a red you could drop some stuff, but never your whole stuff. In purple/purple or "official" warzones like sieges you never drop. Currently even as red you don't drop, as long as you keep PK count under 5.

But there's something far more worse now - xp loss. When you were under let's say 40 it was like fart in the wind. Now (70+) it's like... uhhh. But then, you have 100% rez scrolls now and instant soe scrolls, now.

As for death penalties in general - it all depends on the game design. I wouldn't even mind permadeth, if the game was designed properly around such concept.
I guess they've changed some stuff since I played, but I remember having a slight, very low chance of dropping your gear EVEN IF you were white con. It may have changed. However, about how ridiculous the EXP loss was wasn't even that huge compared to other games. In FFXI it was a set 10% loss, in L2 it ranged from 2-8%. However, that 2% was hours of hard work.

Originally posted by soltys@Apr 8 2006, 11:15 PM

When I played anyone could drop anything, with being red increasing those chances. I remember first day Sieghardt; I was in the DE spore field saving for my hunters bow when some DE fighter attacks a spore, starts spamming ss and dies, dropping his gladius. I was like 'AHHH I NEED TO GET IT!!'. To my surprise I was the only one running at it. I sold that puppy for a nice 50k and bought my bow. That was a good start.

Back