Mobile e-Readers: Dedicated, Tablet, or Phone?

What is your e-reader device of choice?

• Dedicated (Amazon Kindle, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tablet (iPad, Galaxy Tab, etc.)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Phone (iPhone, Android, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
It's the 21st Century -- what is your e-reader device preferred choice?

I still prefer actual physical books but I'm falling behind the times and it'd be nice to take advantage of stuff like Amazon Prime's "free" Kindle books. My wife already has her Kindle but I haven't picked up anything for me yet. I'm torn between a dedicated device, like a Kindle, versus getting a tablet, like a Samsung Galaxy Tab, with an e-reader app on it. I have tried using my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) with the Kindle app; honestly, I don't know if I'm just getting old or if it was the screen display but my eyes were hurting trying to use it.

What are you guys/gals usings?

I voted tablet.
I use my tablet mostly only when traveling.
I load my 32gb mini-sd with ebooks and recipes, maps and trivia about my trip.
At home, I e`read primarily on my PC that is hooked to a big HD flatscreen TV.
I like to read with Tantric music paying softly in the background.
Since I can make the letters as big as I want and auto scroll I can sit back in the recliner and read from across the room.
I even have e`comics that can be set to scroll

I'll start the video and set the scroll and just go chill out to a good book

Sometimes the audio mix enhances the reading, especially when rereading a book.

I can even do similar with my tablet.
(Have trouble sometimes with choppy playback on my tablet if I have too many apps in standby)

01-Science-Has-Figured-Out-Why-You-Love-the-Smell-of-Old-Books-1024x683.jpg

I cannot give them up. I stare at my phone too much throughout the day, paper is a treat.

I hear you and agree. I will always buy a dead tree book over a PDF any day. Plus now the price difference really isn't that much of a difference , and I don't care I rather pay the difference.

It's the 21st Century -- what is your e-reader device preferred choice?

I still prefer actual physical books but I'm falling behind the times and it'd be nice to take advantage of stuff like Amazon Prime's "free" Kindle books. My wife already has her Kindle but I haven't picked up anything for me yet. I'm torn between a dedicated device, like a Kindle, versus getting a tablet, like a Samsung Galaxy Tab, with an e-reader app on it. I have tried using my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) with the Kindle app; honestly, I don't know if I'm just getting old or if it was the screen display but my eyes were hurting trying to use it.

What are you guys/gals usings?
I'm on the Cray 1 super computer.....;);););), or I'm using the Univac, Good ol' Charles Babbage, the Merican creator of the computer. Bet yall don't know who invented the first form of the I-net, It was the military, they used it for communication betwixt troops and command. You now are learnid'.;);););)

I hear you and agree. I will always buy a dead tree book over a PDF any day. Plus now the price difference really isn't that much of a difference , and I don't care I rather pay the difference.
Half price books is a pretty good deal, sometimes you find a jewel in the rough, sometimes they will sell you a book with goobers on the pages, busted binding, and stained covers, so make sure it wont disintergrate in your hands! LMAFO!:ROFLMAO:

Fast forward a few months and I finally made a purchase choice. :LOL:

I ended up getting an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet. It allows me to read ebooks :bookworm:, use the Amazon ecosystem for Kindle titles, surf the web, get my email, and play some games. The screen resolution on it is not even close to being on par with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone but for it's intended purpose and price point it'll work fine. Plus they are cheap enough that I hooked up my wife and other family members up with their own also. The model I went with was the 8" 32GB with no "special offers" - as a Prime customer it came out to be $95 per unit plus a few bucks for some cases. If I throw this thing in my backpack and break it I won't be as upset as if I had spent several hundred dollars on a nice iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

It was a tough choice between the Fire tablet and the Kindle Paperwhite since the Paperwhite has a better screen for reading books but knowing myself I knew that I'd be happier being able to also surf the net and other stuff with it while on the road. I think too many years of watching Good Eats with Alton Brown sunk in my consciousness about not buying dedicated single purpose devices.

Fast forward a few months and I finally made a purchase choice. :LOL:

I ended up getting an Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet. It allows me to read ebooks :bookworm:, use the Amazon ecosystem for Kindle titles, surf the web, get my email, and play some games. The screen resolution on it is not even close to being on par with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone but for it's intended purpose and price point it'll work fine. Plus they are cheap enough that I hooked up my wife and other family members up with their own also. The model I went with was the 8" 32GB with no "special offers" - as a Prime customer it came out to be $95 per unit plus a few bucks for some cases. If I throw this thing in my backpack and break it I won't be as upset as if I had spent several hundred dollars on a nice iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

It was a tough choice between the Fire tablet and the Kindle Paperwhite since the Paperwhite has a better screen for reading books but knowing myself I knew that I'd be happier being able to also surf the net and other stuff with it while on the road. I think too many years of watching Good Eats with Alton Brown sunk in my consciousness about not buying dedicated single purpose devices.
Great purchase Kevin,
You da man!
you-da-man.jpg

Back