Politics Eating disorders

i've never tried dieting though when i do try to stop snacking and eat healthy i always fail hah.
i know 2 anorexics allthough one of thems doing really really well at the moment. its really scary actually. we ended up talking to my form tutor about how worried we were for her.... didn't sort things though.

but at least she's getting better :smiley:
i went on a diet in year 7 for like 2 terms with a friend. she now has anorexia :(
okay i just thought i'd come say hi.
i am going now... :hi:

Yeah but the people aren't scared because they dopn't realise what they are doing to themselves but all the people around them do but because they can't see it they won't stop and it's very sad for the people who care for them to watch because they're helpless! :thinking:

Just a word of warning about the diets.

All of these American fad diets (South Beach, Atkins etc) are not good for your health. Even if you do initially lose some weight, you are doing damage to your body. The only sensible and healthy way to eat is not too much fat, not too many calories, exercise etc.

If you are following a diet that tells you to restrict things like carbohydrates, dairy products or fruit and vegetables, it is a fad diet that is potentially going to give you health problems in the future. Carbohydrates are for energy; dairy so you don't end up a crippled old woman with a hump back at age 40; and fruits and vegetables for just about everything, including things like cancer prevention.

The father of these American diet fads, 'Dr' Atrkins, diet of heart problems, directly related to the diet he invented.

America comes up with more diets than any other country in the world, and yet they have the most obese population in the world. The healthiest 'diet' is the Mediterranean diet (think PROPER Italian-style food).

I am not a qualified dietician, but I have worked with many nutritionists, been involved in a huge healthy eating campaign for ballet dancers, and unfortunately learnt the hard way that diets are not the way to go. Recovering from anorexia it became pretty obvious to me what kind of eating plan would get my metabolism and weight back on track.

and if you're a grown woman, make sure that you eat at least 1200 calories. if you eat anything below that, you're body thinks that you're starving yourself and retains more weight

Yeah but Tasha most people don't know they're suffering, that's why it's so difficult, I think that you should just let them know that you're there if they ever need you, because that way you're not pushing anything, but telling them they can talk to you if they need to :D

Yeah, she told me she was suffering from it but now she says she regrets telling. Now she won't talk about it at all and she's not very open to help. She just wants to keep doing it. -_-

Mmm it's a very tricky situation to be in, invite her around and get your mum to cook her big meals cos she won't wanna be rude and not eat it!

Hey, I'm a ballet dancer, and I just wanted to say that I have met many people who have eating disorders. The dancers who do this think that it makes them look more beautiful to the audience, but it does not. Many ballet companies across the nation do not allow their dancers to be too skinny. I've been to many auditions at a different school (because the auditions do not come anywhere close), where the girls are all sickeningly skinny, to the point where you can see every bone in the body. One girl is almost 16 and is only 4'5" because her eating disorder has stunted her growth. The thing is, the dancers at that school are all proud of their disorder. There is a reason that anorexia and bulimia are disorders. I'm glad that many ballet schools have started having special classes on nutrition and almost forcing the dancers to eat so that they can stay healthy. It is a vicious cycle full of insecurity and fear, so the advice I give is to just be there for your friend and keep telling her that she needs help, to the point where you are annoying. One of my friends from the chaotic ballet world was anorexic, and I kept telling her that she needed to eat and get help, and now she eats more than most of us. I hope that will work. It's just an idea to try out. I wish we could pass laws for eating disorders, much as the FDA has done for obesity.
Alright, sorry for the rambling. Just thought I'd talk a little bit.

I agree with ^^^^ but I would put a warning with the annoying her bit because she could end up resenting you for bugging her and bugging her if she thinks there is nothing wrong, you could also upset her even more by doing this because it makes it sound like you don't believe in her ablity to look after herself, so I would suggest you be careful with that

Sabella said:
I agree with ^^^^ but I would put a warning with the annoying her bit because she could end up resenting you for bugging her and bugging her if she thinks there is nothing wrong, you could also upset her even more by doing this because it makes it sound like you don't believe in her ablity to look after herself, so I would suggest you be careful with that
[post="1377245"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, that's why I said it worked for me, but it was just an idea.

yeah that's a tricky thing. on the other hand it sounds just like sabella said, like you think that the one with the disorder isn't capable of taking care of herself, but then again, in most cases she actually ISN'T! that's where the hard thing comes, how far can you push a person before it all goes wrong? it might lead to the one with the disorder being even more messed up and confused, therefore getting worse. or it can help. but it's a really fine line there... but usually, like you guys already have said, the person doesn't realize she's sick, and could need a wake up. my friend who was really anorectic for a while has now later said, that she didn't realize how skinny she was, or that she had a problem, but now when she looks at pictures from that time she can see it, but she was all blinded then. and nowadays she gets scared when she sees how skinny she was. so that's why they need us friends/sisters/brothers/others, to help them see how ill they actually are.
and of course, every case is different. you can't actually say, "this is how you're supposed to do, this works", but every person is different and you just kind of have to feel your way. which can be very hard. i've experienced it myself. several times...

Back