Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Holographic Authors will read books to you

• Something Else?

• Total voters

Tom

An Old Friend
On my Ideas Archive forum I just posted an idea I think might be the future of literature.
http://w11.zetaboards.com/Ideas_Archive/topic/11047693/1/?x=0#post8193794

I said:
Imagine a future where you download a new eBook and it comes with specially shot movie clips from the book.
Embedded within your new eBook are little icons that you can click to open a movie clip of the scene in the book.
Not full movies, just clips, but shot like a feature movie and specifically for that book.
Imagine you are reading a fantasy book about dragons. The author describes the dragon and you click the clip and that very dragon
shows up in full detail, alive in your eBook. Sword fight are displayed in full cinematic glory. You watch the dwarf sit at a fire and chug some ale.
I would think this would be appealing to movie makers for the simplicity and relative low cost of the productions.
Plus, the designs would be on file if anyone wanted to do a full-feature film of the book.
The technology already exists to do this.

What do you see for the future of literature?

Haven't there already been some comics released kind of like this? The comics are presented in a storyboard fashion with some basic graphics.

Yes, but I am talking about literature with full-on screen productions not storyboards.
LOL - Romance novels would need adult ratings
for that matter - so would some science fiction novels

Yes, but I am talking about literature with full-on screen productions not storyboards.
Comics are, for the most part, storyboards themselves but the ones I was thinking of aren't static, they are animated graphics that are half-comic, half-animation.

For what you're describing, of clicking on a word (or phrase or something else to trigger the event) to view a video is the very heart of hyperlinks on the internet. Anybody really has the ability these days to create a web page with links that when clicked could show a video in an overlay. :coffee:

Well, see it wouldn't just be anybody and not just any video.

Comics are, for the most part, storyboards themselves but the ones I was thinking of aren't static, they are animated graphics that are half-comic, half-animation.
I know - I actually have some in my collection.

Anybody really has the ability these days to create a web page with links that when clicked could show a video in an overlay.
and they do. I've seen that too. plus there are script overlays

The author writes the book and sells it to a publisher that then hires a production company to film production content specifically from the content described in the book.
Actors and artist and all the needed personnel are hired to make the clips. perhaps the whole series of clips for the book or only certain clips.
The film content then gets put only into the book as an enhancement. The book gets published and sold. Secure the market by making each book its own reader and only those books have every scene while the download versions only link to statics of the filmed scene as a teaser.

With the ability to CGI anything anymore the authors ideas will be shown as they intended it. Even dead authors imagery can depict scenes just as they describe them.

Actors, artists and film crew would have short projects (like temp jobs) to hone skills, get extra pay and create names for themselves.

Hollywood would have a new source for major film projects based on the best seller lists.

Right now you can get a terabyte on a thumb drive. In the future I imagine much more at even less cost. You can pick up a pad for about $40 that is very limited in abilities but can still play videos and has audio. A production novel in a stand alone reader could be sold for less than a hard cover novel is today. Book stores and libraries stay in business. Your book shelves stay full and your collecting stays alive. It might even be possible in the near future to reduce costs even more to the whole product at paperback prices. The volume of sales could keep the cost of the product low enough so the regular Joe could afford it but so many will be bought that everyone makes profit.

I would love to see a Berserker attack a planet or witness a sword sing as it cuts into a dragon.

Remember the Glass Panel Librarian depicted in the latest version of The Time Machine?
Imagine you could buy a glass wall for your home.
You buy content based on authors and not only do you get to read and watch the book you can discuss it with a hologram of the author afterward.

Back