Editing (Grammar, etc.)

Azhria Lilu

Captain
If you want someone to edit your paper for grammar or something else, please post it here for review.

Please remember that many schools/colleges require that you note who edited your paper when you turn it in. If that is the case at your school, be sure to cite the member who helped you (it might be good to include the URL to this thread, too). When in doubt, ask your teacher/professor.

Edit grammar/spelling (Canadian spelling please :P ) And um... please tell me whether if this is a weak critique or not. :thinking: I haven't written many critiques in my life. ;)

Edith Wharton’s Ethan Frome surrounded a story of forbidden love and unquenchable passion. Despite its vivid descriptions of the setting and the anticlimactic romantic exchanges between Ethan and Mattie, the book was dull and stale. The characters were weak and there was almost no plot. I did not like this novel. All of the characters elicited no emotions from me. The three main characters were all flat, static and boring.

Ethan Frome was set up to be the tortured soul of the novel from the very beginning. However, he never tried to take fate into his own hands and try to change his future. He could not stand up for himself when his wife was bullying him nor could he lie to get himself money that he desperately needed. His final escapade with Mattie on the coaster was a very weak and foolish attempt to get away from reality. Ethan was overall a character who had very poor judgement and I could not help but get frustrated when I read about his actions.

For me, Zeena was a whiny housewife that was not capable enough to find herself a husband other than the man who relied upon her to take care of his sick mother. Mattie Silver seemed too naïve to be a young woman of over 20. Her impulse to kill herself with Ethan may have seemed romantic to her, but in reality it was a very ludicrous and pathetic thing to do. The plot of the novel barely catches the attention of the readers. There were only 2 parts that was significant enough to catch my attention. The first was when Zeena’s pickle dish broke and the second was when Mattie and Ethan decided to coast down the hill into a tree in attempt to kill themselves; the pitiful climax of the novel.

Even thought the novel was dull and monotonous, I think it should be taught in high school. This is because Ethan Frome contained many detailed description of its setting and it thematically ties in very well with the rest of the books taught in this grade. Its depiction of a man’s battle with his environment and the hopelessness that Ethan felt was very strong and memorable. The overall tone of the novel makes it a good novel to teach to high school students. Ethan Frome may not be a likable character but his story is one of surreal tragedy.

--mandy :angelic:

I ddint' get to read it carefully and I'll try to when I get the chance, but the second word in the alst paragraph caught my eye. Isn't it supposed to say "Even though "

Mandy, I don't have the time to edit, but thought I'd give you one hint: when you're writing about fiction, use the present tense. ( :blink: Again? :lol: )

So, for example, in your above paragraph, you should write:

Edith Wharton’s Ethan Frome is a story of forbidden love and unquenchable passion. Despite its vivid descriptions of the setting and the anticlimactic romantic exchanges between Ethan and Mattie, the book is dull and stale. The characters are weak and there is almost no plot. I did not like this novel. All of the characters elicit no emotions from me. The three main characters are all flat, static, and boring.

Also--you shouldn't say "despite its vivid descriptions of setting and the anticlimactic romantic exchanges..." because despite implies you're going to say two positive things, when you only say one.

That's all for now...:whistle:

5x5 said:
Mandy, I don't have the time to edit, but thought I'd give you one hint: when you're writing about fiction, use the present tense.  (  :blink: Again?  :lol: )

So, for example, in your above paragraph, you should write:
Also--if you shouldn't say "despite is vivid descriptions of setting and the anticlimactic romantic exchanges..." because despite implies you're going to say two positive things, when you only say one.

That's all for now...:whistle:
[post="1085134"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I KNOW! :lol: I did try to write it in present tense! and then I got confused again!!!! :thud: ;)

hm... despite... what other good tings are there about this book... :blink: hm... I spite the book so much that... i cant' find anything. :thud: ;) So maybe instead of anticlimatic I should say "exciting"? :lol:
-mandy :angelic:

Geez...I really should edit my edits. :rolleyes: What a mess--sorry. :blush:

Maybe just separate those two issues into 2 sentences? Or dig really deep for one other good thing?

5x5 said:
Geez...I really should edit my edits.  :rolleyes: What a mess--sorry. :blush:

Maybe just separate those two issues into 2 sentences?  Or dig really deep for one other good thing?
[post="1085163"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: I wasn't confused by YOUR edit it's just that when i try to edit mine... :blink: ya... WAY confused.

Dig really deep... hmmm..
--Mandy :angelic:

well instead of editing that first. Edit this first. ;)

Time is like sand, a collection of fine grains that slip through between the crack of an enclosed hand even if the finest attention was taken to stop it. It always seems to run out at the most inopportune times, leaving one in needy desperation. However, while most people can live with the absence of sand, they cannot live without time. Students like to complain about the lack of time to do homework, yet they often choose to let time squander away while they practice the fine art of procrastination. On a much larger scale, time brings forth life as babies grow in their mother’s womb but it also passes on death, an inevitable part of life. It is just like the philosophical saying that life and death goes hand in hand — one cannot exist without the other. Many people spend most of their lives anticipating death, fearing what they do not know. It is a common misconception that life and death are two different worlds. In truth, life and death are present in ordinary objects as simple a clock, on a quiet street on a Sunday morning and they even reveal themselves through time in nature.

A clock, for example, is what most people use to tell time. An ordinary school clock has twelve numbers on the face, placed in a circular manner. A circle has no clear definition of beginning or end, just like life and death. What brings lives must die; it is a continuous cycle that lasts until the end of time. A school clock also has two hands, one that tells the hour and the other that tells the minutes. As one moves, the other one moves as well and rarely do they catch up to one another throughout the course of the day. It is as if the minute hand propels the hour hand, neither of them pauses to let the other one pass. The hands of the clock are just like life and death, neither of which can stop in a world where death must make room for new life. They must both run their course as they were meant to. When a straight line is drawn through the center of a clock, the clock would be divided exactly in half. The face of the clock suddenly split into two halves that make a whole, Ying and Yang, good and evil — life and death.

If someone were to look out their window on a quiet Sunday morning, they would see the signs of life and death. The road is empty, devoid of any signs of human activity. Cars are parked in the driveway and on the side of the road with their engines turned off and the seats unoccupied. The wind blows through the cracks of walls, howling and hissing at imaginary enemies. At any moment, tumbleweed could roll down the street and blend in easily with the ghostly scenery. A closer look reveals that, the lonely street is not as deathly as it seems. The sun casts its rays upon the rooftops of homes, blanketing the entire block with a layer of warmth and light. Under the light of the sun, the colour of the plants burst back into life. Shrubs lean against the brick wall of the houses, trying to climb to the top. The trees stand tall and the green leaves bright and exuberant. The light brings the whole street back into the world of the living as death fades into the shadows.

Summer brings a time of life and growth. Small plants burst into tall flourishing bushes, tiny flower buds bloom into beautiful and fragrant flowers. The scent of life travels for miles in the light summer breeze, welcoming the bees to drink its nectar and spread its pollen. During the summer, all thoughts of cold dreary winters vanish, yet everyone is aware that winter returns whether it is invited or not. During the latter months of the year when the seasons change, life and death mingle to form the beauty of fall. The colour of the grass starts to fade, as the nights become chilly. What was once luscious green is now a light yellow-green. The winter melons are ripe and just the right size to be devoured after being able to successfully grow during the summer time. The leaves on the vine are already dying, withered and brown. If someone takes one of the leaves and squeezes it in their fist, it would crumble easily into hundreds of tiny pieces, light enough to be carried off by the wind. The shadow of the fence drapes a looming darkness over half of the garden. In this shadow, no vegetables grow and only those hateful weeds would ever take residence there. In the midst of the dying garden stand two bunches of green-onion plants that are still as green and spirited as ever. They stand proudly and shine brightly under the sun in a garden that is quickly fading.

Time flows like the river of life, continuing on its course even through the freezing cold winter. Every second, a babe is born into the world while at the same time death greets another person in another place. As winter dissolves into the pale warmth of spring, life is again restored to all parts of nature. The change of season is a full cycle of the restoration and departure of life — a cycle where death has its place in the months of bitter winter. The ticking of a clock is like a countdown to life. Its beat is like the pumping of a heart, a constant but strong pulse that throbs until a point when life ceases to exist. It is not a difficult task to find life. Anyone can feel it in the air, see it in the trees and hear it in a forest, but it cannot be found without death. Life and death is everywhere, all around nature and in homes. Just a peek at the clock can unveil the limbo inbetween.

What do you think? is it obvious that it's a descriptive essay? Anything unclear? confusing? Grammar? Spelling? Does the theme like it's inconsistant???

--Mandy :angelic:

I decided to start with your critique first. Later, I may come back and edit the other one.

I'm assuming that this is a high school paper. Am I correct?

Edith Wharton’s Ethan Frome surrounded a story of forbidden love and unquenchable passion. Despite its vivid descriptions of the setting and the anticlimactic romantic exchanges between Ethan and Mattie, the book was dull and stale. The characters were weak and there was almost no plot. I did not like this novel. All of the characters elicited no emotions from me. The three main characters were all flat, static and boring.
  • I found the use of "surround" in the first sentence a little awkward. Maybe you could replace it with "was" or "is."
  • I personally would have liked to learn a little bit more about the novel's storyline. I'm reading this and not really understanding anything. It's often best to assume that your reader is uneducated in the subject of interest.
  • The use of "anticlimatic" in the second sentence contradicts the point of the book being dull and stale. Maybe you really meant "climatic?"
  • I think maybe you should move "I did not like this novel" to before the second sentence. It's better to make that clear early, rather than pop that in the middle of the paragraph.
  • You say that the novel has no plot, but you never explain why you came to this conclusion. For future reference, plot and storyline are not the same thing. Storyline is the story itself. Plot is how the story is conveyed to the audience (using different techniques).
  • Is this whole paper supposed to be in first person? Usually, I'd recommend that you avoid the use of "I", "me", etc.
  • To be honest, I think this intro paragraph is jumping around a bit. You attempt to talk about both characters and plot together, but that just results in you neglecting one entirely. Usually, it's best to discuss only one thing in each paragraph. But because this is the introduction, you may be able to pull off mentioning several things in one. Just make a single statement for each topic you intend to talk about. For example, "The characters were weak because they were flat, static, and boring. Also, this novel had almost no plot." Then in future paragraphs, elaborate on each point. Don't forget to use transition sentences.
I'll come back later and do the rest of the paper.

Webmistress Eh? said:
I decided to start with your critique first. Later, I may come back and edit the other one.

I'm assuming that this is a high school paper. Am I correct?
  • I found the use of "surround" in the first sentence a little awkward. Maybe you could replace it with "was" or "is."
  • I personally would have liked to learn a little bit more about the novel's storyline. I'm reading this and not really understanding anything. It's often best to assume that your reader is uneducated in the subject of interest.
  • The use of "anticlimatic" in the second sentence contradicts the point of the book being dull and stale. Maybe you really meant "climatic?"
  • I think maybe you should move "I did not like this novel" to before the second sentence. It's better to make that clear early, rather than pop that in the middle of the paragraph.
  • You say that the novel has no plot, but you never explain why you came to this conclusion. For future reference, plot and storyline are not the same thing. Storyline is the story itself. Plot is how the story is conveyed to the audience (using different techniques).
  • Is this whole paper supposed to be in first person? Usually, I'd recommend that you avoid the use of "I", "me", etc.
  • To be honest, I think this intro paragraph is jumping around a bit. You attempt to talk about both characters and plot together, but that just results in you neglecting one entirely. Usually, it's best to discuss only one thing in each paragraph. But because this is the introduction, you may be able to pull off mentioning several things in one. Just make a single statement for each topic you intend to talk about. For example, "The characters were weak because they were flat, static, and boring. Also, this novel had almost no plot." Then in future paragraphs, elaborate on each point. Don't forget to use transition sentences.
I'll come back later and do the rest of the paper.
[post="1085622"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It's not even a "paper" one page critique. Thanks for the tips. I'll try to work on it. :thud:
--mandy :angelic:

Ethan Frome was set up to be the tortured soul of the novel from the very beginning. However, he never tried to take fate into his own hands and try to change his future. He could not stand up for himself when his wife was bullying him nor could he lie to get himself money that he desperately needed. His final escapade with Mattie on the coaster was a very weak and foolish attempt to get away from reality. Ethan was overall a character who had very poor judgement and I could not help but get frustrated when I read about his actions.
  • I think you need to provide a bit more in description about Ethan Frome. Who is he? Is he the protagonist? What role does he play in the book? These are never made clear in this paragraph.

• I think you need to re-arrange the order of the sentences here a bit. State your frustration with Ethan at the beginning and then go into further detail in future sentences.

• You mention several moments in the book here, which is useful when trying to strengthen your description of Ethan's failure to take control of his life with examples. But the problem is that you again assume your reader is aware of the events in this book. I don't know what happened. So, unless you describe things a bit more, this examples doesn't do anything to help me understand better.

• When you use examples, please indicate that with either "for instance", "for example" "in the case of this novel", etc.... It makes things easier to read.

• I think your second example isn't necessary. It doesn't add anything to your argument.

• I think you can change the last sentence a bit to make it sound more like conclusion of sort. Maybe something like this: "Ethan is a character with poor judgement and..." Add something else after the "and" goes with your general theme in this paragraph and sounds like it could end a paragraph.
For me, Zeena was a whiny housewife that was not capable enough to find herself a husband other than the man who relied upon her to take care of his sick mother. Mattie Silver seemed too naïve to be a young woman of over 20. Her impulse to kill herself with Ethan may have seemed romantic to her, but in reality it was a very ludicrous and pathetic thing to do. The plot of the novel barely catches the attention of the readers. There were only 2 parts that was significant enough to catch my attention. The first was when Zeena’s pickle dish broke and the second was when Mattie and Ethan decided to coast down the hill into a tree in attempt to kill themselves; the pitiful climax of the novel.
  • This paragraph jumps to too many subjects (Zeena, Mattie, & plot) within this one paragraph. Like I stated earlier, focus on only one subject per paragraph. Your teacher will be marking on both content and structure, and stuffing this paragraph like you did is likely to turn her/him off. So, either chop this up into more paragraphs and elaborate on each a bit more. Or, scrap everything until you only have one subject left. then do more elaborating on that.
  • Like with Ethan: Who is Zeena and Mattie? And, what role do they play in the book?
  • The first sentence is long and wordy. Try to shorten it by saying the same thing in a fewer number of words.
  • Again with the examples. Your readers need to be able to understand the context here.
Even though(I took out an "t") the novel was dull and monotonous, I think it should be taught in high school. This is because Ethan Frome contains many detailed descriptions of its setting and it (cross out "thematically") ties in very well with the other books taught year. Its depiction of a man's battle with his environment and his hopelessness [strikeout]that Ethan felt[/strikeout] he felt was [strikeout]very[/strikeout] strong and memorable. The overall tone of this book makes it a good novel to teach in high school. Ethan Frome may not be a likable character, but his story is one of surreal tragedy.
  • I'm curious. Did your teacher tell you to include a paragraph like this (about the book and high school)? If not, I'd scrap it and use this space to either talk about the quality of the story or the personality of a character. This paragraph seemed to come right out of left field. It doesn't fit in with everything else you were talking about.
General Comments:
  • I've noticed that you're trying to fill space with filler/big words like "really", "very," "surreal", etc. Don't do that. Even though this is for English and most people tend to associate that subject with flowery language, don't try to imitate it. You're not doing yourself any favours by doing that. You have to try to make your paper as easy as possible to read. That means using common words and short, to-the-point sentences. You'll always come out sounding better and less arrogant. (I had that problem myself back in high school, but I learned to change.)
  • Try to keep to third person. It makes your critique sound more professional.
  • I think you seem to have some difficulty with creating a structure for your paper. So, may I suggest this basic one? This seems to be the closest to what you're going for in your paper.
    Introduction: Briefly state what you will be discussing and your overall impression of the novel.
    Paragraph 1: Ethan Frome
    Paragraph 2: Zeena or Mattie or the plot
    Paragraph 3: ^ One of the above you haven't already discussed
    Conclusion: Briefly summarize what each paragraph (in 4-5 sentences) was about and state again your overall impression of the novel.
  • You need a concluding paragraph. You can see what I mean in the structure example.
This was a good effort, but I would seriously consider restructuring your paper before handing it in. To be safe, post it here again for another read-through.

As for your descriptive essay. I don't know if I can help you much there. It's been a while since I wrote one and I can't remember how the format is supposed to go. I could read it later tomorrow for spelling/grammar errors and clarity later if you like.

Would anyone be willing to look over a story i'm submitting to my school's art magazine. I think i pretty much have it complete, but more feedback doesn't hurt. If so please tell me and i'll post it up here. I'm turning it in tomorrow, so if anyone's free to look at it tonight that'd be great!

~Kristina

I think that this topic is an interesting idea and a good resource for feedback, ultimately improving posters' papers. I am concerned though, that by posting an entire paper online that someone may come and plagiarize it. While you would not be plagiarizing the paper, there's a chance that your document could be passed on to someone who would. Just a word of caution.

Back