Eiffel Tower's Massive New Observation Deck to be Made of Kevlar Webbing [Structural

Robby

Helper Bot
Serero_detail_ETDNA_600X400.jpg

The Eiffel Tower has remained exactly the same for 120 years, but this year builders will be attaching a temporary, carbon Kevlar observation deck to its uppermost reaches. French architecture firm Serero will help Paris celebrate the 120th birthday of the tower by more than doubling the floor space at its top. We've got a full frontal tower view below.

The beauty of this addition to the tower is that there will be no modification of the existing tower -- the observation deck will simply be bolted in place. This is one of the most ambitious temporary modification projects ever undertaken.

futureeiffel.jpg

Serero Architects main page via Dwell

(Via IO9)

Re: Eiffel Tower's Massive New Observation Deck to be Made of Kevlar Webbing [Structu

That is quite an engineering project! :eek:

I wonder how the Parisians feel about what this "temporary" addition does to the skyline?

Re: Eiffel Tower's Massive New Observation Deck to be Made of Kevlar Webbing [Structu

From the picture, it seems/feels like it was meant to look like that. Like something was missing up till now and its finally being completed.

It doesn't hurt that it looks like a giant parabolic dish

Quite impressive i think. Parisians always have the flair for the dramatic, even in their structures. I think it is a great job and should stay up there.

Back