Politics Election 2004: VOTE

If you were to vote in the United States presidential election, for whom would you vote (regardless

• George Bush (Republican)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Kerry (Democrat)

• Ralph Nader (Independent)

• Michael Badnarik (Libertarian)

• David Cobb (Green)

• Michael Peroutka (Constitution Party)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azhria Lilu

Captain
If you were to vote in the United States presidential election, for whom would you vote (regardless of your eligibility to do so)?

Please vote and then state your reason(s) for voting the way you did.

Please also remember that if you are eligible to vote in the United States your vote is your voice and you should use it. If you want to have your voice heard in our democracy, do so in the most powerful way possible: vote.

John Kerry. There are many, many reasons. There are too many reasons to list. Bush is a horrible president. He is a corrupt human, who's responsible for the needless death of thousands of humans. He started an entire war, on false pretenses!!

I would vote for (and have voted for) George W. Bush.

In all honesty, the war in Iraq is the only reason why I would even think to hesitate. It should not have happened, and it would not have happened if Bush Sr hadn't caved to world demand and not finished things during his presidency.

But what's done is done. Osama bin Laden's resentment of the US started when we invaded Afghanistan the first time - and then, because the world desired it - abandoned them. To leave things unfinished the second time would only further escalate matters, and possibly leave my children (or children's children, I'm not that old!), saddled with an even worse war with even worse costs in both money and lives.

Bush didn't lie about Iraq. To suggest otherwise is to show uneducation. I'm not quite sure what happened, honestly, and I doubt anyone is. All major world Intelligence (not just America's) had the same conclusion after countless years of work: there were weapons of mass destruction. If there were not, why where investigators first not allowed at all to look? That, logic dictated, left plenty of time for weapons to be hidden. And then when the investigators finally were permitted, why were they not allowed to search certain areas, until they were finally ordered to leave?

Thus, Bush went with war, and the majority of Americans - then struck with jingoistic fever - hardly disagreed.

When I was younger, I was a pacifist. It sounds wonderful, doesn't it? A world of peace, where no violence ever occurs. But I'm no longer naïve. War is ugly and horrible - but also necessary. It is, after all, the reason why America is voting tomorrow. To find a world of peace, go read fictional books.

I've seen all sorts of signs: "Vote for Kerry, vote peace." "Vote Democrat, vote peace." Both are hardly true. Kerry has even said he will continue the war on terror (albeit after we're attacked, not before to head it off). Democrats spear-headed the atomic bombs in World War II, a horrific act still killing thousands from aftereffects today. And earlier this year, a Democrat sponsored the only bill attempting to bring back the draft - and the only people to vote on it were also Democrats. MoveOn.org may be threatening Bush will bring back the draft, but so far Democrats are the ones actually trying to activate it.

But of course, though perhaps not as much for the rest of the world looking in, war is not the only thing to look at when electing a president.

We are a nation at war. Yet Bush, for whatever inexplicable reason, spends more on education than anything else. And you may have seen the commercials ranting about the rich receiving more tax cuts than anyone. But what those don't tell you are that those folks STILL statistically pay more taxes than you. Their only benefit is everyone else's too: Bush's tax plans ensure small business owners - who employ more people in the USA than anyone or anything else - can afford to keep hiring.

The left also loves to throw around the high number of those without health care coverage. But you know what? That number includes people like me - a perfectly healthy 20-year-old with no need for it, since I'm in college and thus covered by my parents. That number also includes people like my ex-boyfriend, who lives in London but has dual-citizenship. And it includes folks like my favorite professor, who goes without it because for him, at this stage of his life, it's more expensive to have it than not.

I've also seen thrown around various topics that character doesn't matter, issues do. I'll just say this: I come from a career in PR. Bush and Kerry are going to say whatever it takes to appeal to as many people as possible. The question truly is, who has the character to follow through on most of the promises made?

Bush is a simple man with a happy marriage., who doesn't hide his religious convictions. Do they dictate his actions? To an extent. But it's no more a combination of church and state than those wanting gay marriages are (since those would have to be ratified by the state and really, it could be argued, any conviction with a following and determined rituals to live life is a religion. Both Wicca and Christianity are considered religions in this country, after all.

He may have his faults, but he doesn't deny them. He chooses to do, and then he does it. He doesn't falter or pander to increase poll ratings. And sometimes that costs him dearly - before the first Presidential debate, he spent the day in Florida helping hurricane victims, and refused to let press out on the tarmac.

Kerry? Got a manicure.

As a result, who was tired? And who was perfectly relaxed since he'd done nothing all day?

But let's talk about Kerry. He was the one to bring up his Vietnam service - only to turn around and protest critics weren't talking about the real issues when questions began arising. His own sanctioned, official biographer told reporters that Kerry's favorite anecdote about sneaking into Cambodia never happened - something revealed because of already-condemned Swift Boats for Truth. And his commander never approved him receiving his Purple Heart.

In fact, Kerry stood in front of Congress and called his fellow soldiers war criminals. Weary and wounded veterans returning from war suddenly found themselves hated and spit upon. Kerry even met with groups associated with the Viet-Cong in Paris before his address, and documents prove that if he wasn't furthering their agenda and acting for them, he was ridiculously foolish in allowing himself to be used exactly as they wanted.

But then, after taking such a strong stance, he didn't have the conviction to throw his own medals over the fence in protest. He threw someone else's.

And more recently, in a meeting with Catholic pastors, Kerry went against party line by saying he believed life began at conception, only to change his mind and contradict himself in a later interview.

And I'm not even bothering to list all his different stances on the war - although it should be noted he voted in favor of it.

And that is why I'm voting Republican. (Which I'm really not.)

Wow, I wrote more than I thought I would. lol.

It's late. I've been working on college/scholarship applications. I'm tired. But I wanna post before the election results start coming in ;)

John Kerry. Before the Democratic National Convention, I have to admit, I was part of the extremely large Anyone But Bush wagon. Kerry Schmerry, who cares, just get Bush out. But at the DNC, "Hope is on the way" won me over.

Yes, it's true that many voters go for Kerry simply because of distaste for Bush. And it's completely understandable. Bush said that we were going into Iraq because of WMDs. We'd have a great alliance. It'd be a last resort. But as good ole Kerry pointed out, there were no WMDs. We didn't build a great alliance. It wasn't a last resort. Yes, intelligence pointed at Iraq having weapons. But there was also intelligence pointing the other direction, and analysts were under pressure to conform to the idea of Iraq possessing weapons of mass distraction deception diversion destruction. I never claimed that this war was purely for oil. But it sure looks suspicious when the oil ministry was the only guarded building. Makes me wonder if Bush has some personal agenda, perhaps completing the work of his papa.

The reasons for war were weapons of mass destruction, Iraq's direct connection to Al Qaeda and 9/11, and Saddam Hussein is a very bad man. But after Bush's "miscalculations," reason #3 is now major justification. Images of Iraqis smiling with their newfound freedom paint Bush as a hero. Yes, improvements have been made in Iraq. But Iraqis are not truly free when they dig up the bodies of loved ones in rubble, when women are too afraid to go to the market, when children can't go to school alone, when foreigners patrol the area with guns. Again, Iraq is better without Saddam. But more people die everyday, months of rebuilding can be destroyed with a single bomb, billions are being spent on this seemingly endless war. Not smart planning on the president's part.

Both parties use scare tactics. But Bush almost depends on it. We are safer, we are safer, we are safer. Doesn't help much just repeating the phrase over and over. How many attacks were there on American soil between Sept. 11 and Pearl Harbor? Zero. I'm not saying that there won't ever be another terrorist attack. But if Bush has supposedly made us safer, why does most of the world disapprove of America's foreign policy? Why are terrorist recruits up? Why are more people dying everyday? Bush in no way causes terrorism, but I don't buy this idea that he has made me or my children safer. Ask Putin and bin Laden.

44 million Americans without health care also includes those who can't afford it but desparately need it. There's a reason why emergency rooms often have a 24 hour wait, causing hospitals to lose money and even shut down. Education, too, needs reform.

Like John Kerry, I am Catholic. Despite my love for God, I believe religion should not run the government. A constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage is a radical step backwards. Throwing away thousands of stem cells is a tad more unethical than possibly finding a cure for millions.

Unless acknowledging that the presidency is "hard work" counts, Bush does deny his faults. He stands strong with ideas that viciously divides the nation and alienates America from the rest of the world, yet he's blind to his mistakes. With so much of the world against him and a low approval rating, it's time he left the White House--after all, the majority did not choose him in the first place.

I apologize for mostly stating reasons against Bush rather than for Kerry, lol.

But I should add, since I really am an (albeit conservative) independent, that if Kerry does get elected, I'm not gonna move out of the country or whatever. Because even threatening to do is lame, close-minded and hypocritical. (I'm looking at you, Alec Baldwin!)

If anything, I'll pray even more for President Kerry than I ever did for Bush, because maybe that would help him a) pick ONE stance and b) have the common sense to follow through. ;)

That is all. Carry on. :angelic:

I'm from Australia, so I am unable to vote. But if I could, I would vote for John Kerry. Time to get a fresh face in there!

Kelly

Jinnie said:
But I should add, since I really am an (albeit conservative) independent, that if Kerry does get elected, I'm not gonna move out of the country or whatever. Because even threatening to do is lame, close-minded and hypocritical. (I'm looking at you, Alec Baldwin!)

If anything, I'll pray even more for President Kerry than I ever did for Bush, because maybe that would help him a) pick ONE stance and b) have the common sense to follow through. ;)

That is all. Carry on.  :angelic:
[post="1050081"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

i find kerry a strong man and he would fight for this county....at least kerry would be putting our troops in the right places to get bin laden then spreaded out in iraq with no plan to get out...

and as a woman i know my rights would be protected to do what i want with my OWN body... if abortions come illegal again woman would go back to going in backallies and dying because some doctor didn't do it right..i wanna have that right not the govnerment...i don't agree with abortions ..but i agree it should stay legal...

and christian isn't the only religion in th usa....bush should understand that then pushing hes values on everyones else.

if bush stays prez....i've been seriously thinking about moving because if he can't handle getting flu shots for us...who says he can handle a other attack here

I am voting for George W Bush. The most important thing to me is the security of my country and the safety of my children.... and for those reasons, I will be voting for Bush. When it comes to social issues, I would be considered a democrat... But when it comes to domestic and foreign policy, I am a staunch republican.... But social issues will not gurantee the security of my country.

Nobody wants to see a war in their lifetime, whether you are a democrat or a republican (believe it or not ;) ). But 9/11 happened.... and alot has been said over the months about how much money has been spent on the war, how the economy isn't doing as well as it should, and unemployment -- among many other things. Well if terrorists hadn't attacked our country, we wouldn't be talking as much as we do about it.

I, for one, am relieved that Bush didn't back down from terrorists.... And if he continued to "talk" to the terrorists, rather than take action (like the 8 yrs. preceeding Bush's term in office), we would be having an entirely different discussion about Bush.... So essentially, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I will admit that even though I have voted in every election since 1988, I never took the time to educate myself on the canditate. And then 9/11 happened -- and that forced me to open my eyes to the world around me and educate myself to the issues within our country and around the world.... I have never been more excited (or nervous) to vote in an election than I am to vote in this one....

In about forty minutes, I'm going to the polls to vote for Kerry. There are several reasons why I support Kerry over Bush, some of them including: a woman's right to choose, allowing civil unions and not ammending the constitution to define marriage, and being sick of the whole heightened terror thing being shoved down our throats all the time.

it'll be a while before i'm able to vote in the real election, but i'm glad AA is doing this; I voted for John Kerry. No matter what anyone says, I don't feel right with Bush running my president. Whoever is president is in charge of keeping me and my family and my friends safe and happy. Now, I'd rather have someone do that who thinks about our needs first.

Obviously, being from Australia I can't vote. However, it would be Kerry. I have gone over my reasons so many times already in other threads, I can't be bothered to do it again. :angelic:

Anyway, I think everybody - including the Bush voters - already know why we all hate Bush so much. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm voting for George W. Bush, and for my reasons, go back and read Jinnie's post! Well said, Jinnie! (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back