Politics Election Reform

If this were on your ballot, would you vote for it?

• Yes, I would vote for both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I would not vote for either

• I would only vote for IRV

• I would only vote for PR

• This is already used in my country

• Total voters
Please Read the Following or Watch This Video Before Voting in Poll

Our current method of voting for the lesser of two evils has allowed the two major political parties to retain their monopoly over our political system, suppress voter turnout, and shut out new and independent voices in government. The solution is instant runoff voting (IRV) for executive offices and proportional representation (PR) for positions in the State Assembly and Senate.

IRV simulates a series of runoff elections all in one, saving money and encouraging voter turnout. It enables a broader number of people to have their votes counted by giving them more initial choices. It preserves majority rule, encourages pariticipation and diversity, and eliminates the spoiler effect.

In general PR systems elicit higher voter turnout (about 10 percent higher), result in greater representation by minorities and women, and are usually more effective at creating government that are efficient and likely to follow through on campaign promises. Today 106 nations in the world use some form of proportional representation voting to elect government officials. With Canada headed toward implementing a system of PR for regional and national elections, the United States will soon be the only developed nation int he world committed to denying full representation to its citizens.

With voter turnout continuing to fall and the two major parties morphing more and more into a single entity, now is the time for disenfranchised citizens from all across the political spectrum to unite. Our government will not act to change our electoral system until there is enough outcry from the citizenry it is supposed to represent. By working together to educate the public about IRV and PR and pressuring the government to democratize our voting system, we may yet create a democratic society. Until we change our voting system, we are condemned to a system that forces the majority of citizens to vote against their conscience and choose between the lesser of two evils. Now is the time for us to unite under one banner to create a voting system that ensures rule by majority and representation for all.

Back