Elin

now, this is the first story i post here, so don't expect too much. notice that this is a translated text, i had to translate it from swedish to english, so there might be words, verbs and expressions that are wrong or don't fit, but i tried my best. :smiley:

Elin

Hanna sat in the sand. She sat in the granular, golden brown sand. She grabbed a fistful of sand, tiny tiny stones, put her hands together and let them pour down between her fingers and down on her lap. Hanna looked down on the sand on her lap. She could clearly see the grains of sand against the ivory white linen cloth her skirt was made of. They seemed to constitute a formation, but she couldn’t see what it depicted. She screwed up her eyes. Then all the sudden she saw it very clearly. It was an E. E like in Elin.
Elin was Hanna’s best friend. She had dashed into Hanna’s life like a happy, joyful, laughing mess, and become the biggest, most important, and saddest thing Hanna had even experienced. Elin was so funny! And not only funny, she radiated such a infectious joy of living when she was running around with her spotted dog Mine, laughing, when she was talking to much at the dinner table she completely forgot to eat, when she, giggling, sneaked out of the classroom while the teacher faced the blackboard, yes, Elin was wonderful in all the meanings of the word.
Elin too could be sad, though. Like in primary school, when Oskar had teased her for having short hair, like when she failed History, or like when her cat had been run over by a car, then Hanna had held the crying Elin for many hours, and cried with her. No matter if Elin was sad and cried, or, like most of the time, was happy and laughed, Hanna had always cried and laughed with her. She had willingly let herself get infected of Elin’s frame of mind, which ever it was.
Hanna was the calmer one of them, though, who awaited and observed. She wasn’t actually that shy, she was just calm. She was the one who reminded Elin to eat when she was speaking too much at the dinner table, she was the one who made her calm down when she sometimes got too wild, while Elin used to kind of “activate” Hanna, and come up with all kinds of funny things to do. Hanna thought, and she was sure Elin had thought so too, that them being so different from each other was the very thing that made them perfect for each other.
Hanna got up and brushed the sand off her skirt. She walked down towards the water. It had just started to get dark, but some sunlight could still be seen by the horizon. She started walking slowly along the water’s edge, it was windy, and her blond, long hair twined around her neck. Hanna swept the sweater closer around her shoulders, and brushed some locks of hair from her forehead.
A small stone pricked her bare foot. She lifted her foot, stood on one leg, and brushed the sand off. The stone had made a small cut, which bled a little. That was exactly what it had been like with Elin’s disease, it started as a small stone, a drop in the sea, just a little prick, and then slowly but surely, inch by inch, completely take over.
The last time Hanna saw Elin, she had been lying in a hospital bed, there’d been flowers on the beside table, and the summery sun had been shining trough the window. It had been light and summery, but still so horrible. They had cried a little, but then been quite calm, just holding each other’s hands and whispering calming words to each other.
The morning after that Elin had died.
The funeral had been alright, Hanna had put a flower on the coffin and hadn’t actually felt that much, had pushed away all the feelings. It wasn’t until now they came.
A wave rolled over Hanna’s feet and she started walking again. What had Elin ever done to deserve her life to be taken from her? She, who’d been so good and so happy! What had Hanna ever done to deserve to stay? What made her deserve life more? Nothing! She should have been the one to die, she, or anybody, but not Elin! If there was a God, why hadn’t he let Elin live? “Who is loved by God, dies young”, her grandmother had told her. And now God had taken Elin. Taken her from Hanna, from her family, from the life on earth she loved so much. Now God had left Hanna alone.
Hanna stroke away a tear that slowly had started rolling down her cheek. She gazed out at the sea. It had become even windier, and the waves were growing. It was getting cold. Hanna turned around and started walking back home along the beach. The sea roared behind her.

And not only funny, she radiated such a infectious joy of living when she was running around with her spotted dog Mine, laughing, when she was talking to much at the dinner table she completely forgot to eat, when she, giggling, sneaked out of the classroom while the teacher faced the blackboard, yes, Elin was wonderful in all the meanings of the word.

This has to be one of the longest sentences that I have ever read lol I think there needs to be two sentence in there.

Elin too could be sad, though. Like in primary school, when Oskar had teased her for having short hair, like when she failed History, or like when her cat had been run over by a car, then Hanna had held the crying Elin for many hours, and cried with her. No matter if Elin was sad and cried, or, like most of the time, was happy and laughed, Hanna had always cried and laughed with her. She had willingly let herself get infected of Elin’s frame of mind, which ever it was.

Aww, this is a sweet and sad paragraph. I guess everyone has those kind of moments with their friends. I know I have.

Hanna got up and brushed the sand off her skirt. She walked down towards the water. It had just started to get dark, but some sunlight could still be seen by the horizon. She started walking slowly along the water’s edge, it was windy, and her blond, long hair twined around her neck. Hanna swept the sweater closer around her shoulders, and brushed some locks of hair from her forehead.

I just really liked this paragraph because you've described her actions so well. And it's always nice to know how the character looks like, even though it's just her color.

A small stone pricked her bare foot. She lifted her foot, stood on one leg, and brushed the sand off. The stone had made a small cut, which bled a little. That was exactly what it had been like with Elin’s disease, it started as a small stone, a drop in the sea, just a little prick, and then slowly but surely, inch by inch, completely take over.

The funeral had been alright, Hanna had put a flower on the coffin and hadn’t actually felt that much, had pushed away all the feelings. It wasn’t until now they came.
A wave rolled over Hanna’s feet and she started walking again. What had Elin ever done to deserve her life to be taken from her? She, who’d been so good and so happy! What had Hanna ever done to deserve to stay? What made her deserve life more? Nothing! She should have been the one to die, she, or anybody, but not Elin! If there was a God, why hadn’t he let Elin live? “Who is loved by God, dies young”, her grandmother had told her. And now God had taken Elin. Taken her from Hanna, from her family, from the life on earth she loved so much. Now God had left Hanna alone.
[post="1304194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

At first I was wondering why she wasn't a least a little startled by being cut but as I read on I understood. It's heartbreaking to see how she hasn't completely moved on from Elin's death. But, I'd like to know how long ago Elin passed away? Was it recently or a few years ago?? I think giving the time frame would really get the reader into Hanna's mind. If it was recent, it was understandable why she is still angry at God but if it was a few years ago then we get to see that Hanna has trouble moving on from her past.

Despite the grammar mistakes (which you warned the reader about) this was a beautifully written piece. Bravo!

thanks for your comments! they really made me think. :smiley: actually, i don't know how long ago Elin died! i'm not sure...
and yeah, the grammar mistakes. i knew there'd be some, as english is not my native language.
this was really a huge step for me, posting this text here, as i've never shown (showed?) anything i've ever written to anyone...so this was really exciting and scary.
but thank you a lot for your comments! :smiley:

No problem hun! I know it is to be afraid to post on here. Years ago, when I was on another Alias board I was very afraid but I got over it. Lord, I just looked at the first page of this forum and I post a lot lol Anyway, I really loved this one part piece!

Back