End Game

I haven't read really anything on what they are planning the end game to be. I'm hoping its more in-depth than a simple level cap like so many other games. Also I'd hope(and sure it will be) something that isn't an easy task to accomplish I want something I'm going to have to work towards for a long time.

I don't know how the rest of you think about this but I like something that I'm working towards and it gives me a goal outside of just logging in to group with my friends.

So what are your ideas or maybe they have released something I just haven't read yet.

I do not want their to be an 'end-game'. To me, 'end-game' implies that there was a game I played and came to enjoy, and then it changed into something else.

I want a game that is the same game I enjoyed at the beginning, all the way through. The game model should not have to change if it is designed for scalability.

I don't want an end-game either. I want the game to continue to grow and grow and grow and have a level that would take a godly amount of time to attain.

Hmm. I dunno if I want a endgame, per say. I'd like the game to evolve where if anything, you're doing the opposite of raiding in most MMO's You, or you and a few friends go take out a army of bad guys with some ultra-evil deamon-spawn leading them. Something different and unique and "heroic" bBattle gods and their armies. Sure, it might take a few more to take out a gods army, like 30-40, but fight THOUSANDS. you know, kinda like the movies... :D

Not getting 100 of your closest friends, not so close friends, total strangers and people you can't stand to go beat on something for 18 hours and have 1 item drop. for the love of all that is holy please please please please dont make me raid 5 days a week and log in more hours than I do at work for 6 months so I can have some super uber wyr. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!.
:blink:

I'm pretty sure that if enough people hit the cap we'd raise it anyway.

I think the circles in DR go up to 200 or something. I know it's over 100. It was 100 a few years ago.

End game content in my eyes is always something new to do. Raiding a castle, doing some massive pvp, coordinating raids, and the such. I'm sure HJ will implement a lot of new, 'cooler' ideas to end-game content :smiley:

End Game for me is when I reach max level and have to chose to delete that char just to make a new one. So, let's hope Simu provides enough content.

But to be honest, I spend so much time RPing that a rarely reach max level. I RP and socialize so much it can take me up to 6 months to hit level 30. Even in WoW.

HJ won't let us down with end-game. I'm just hoping it will take so long to reach that point that I'll be plenty entertained for a long time with other pre-endgame stuff.

I'm, of course, in the same pool as Morne. If it's going to be a raid lets raid something not gang-bang some monster with ungodly hit points.

Hmm it might be interesting to have an ecounter with a large demon...but make it really large..i'm talking 3 instances big :smiley: Then if you "raid" it you can have one group in each instance. If one group destroy's it's instance it can either A) weaken the other 2 instances of the massive thing or B) insta kill it the rest of the instances, say if you "kill" the head or heart. Then after that have yet another instance where you go inside the creature, cause all games have you fight inside some monster at some point don't they? :smiley: These instances can be unique to each group.

Dunno how to handle the actual encounter though :D

raiding will probably happen, as will group encounters... but I just hope everything, or near everything will be soloable to a point. Why? Because if I'm playing a game about my Hero's Journey, I want it be about MY hero dang nabbit!

hehehe... All I know for sure is that I don't want an "end game". I have been tiring of DAoC for a while know since after getting two characters to level cap, I'm finding the end game monotonous.

~ Jaraeth

Well, if raiding does happen I hope it will at least be like FFXI, were it takes so much team coordination to bring down those Notorious monsters that you really have to work at what you do.

The problem has never been with how to make end game content. That's easy. It's not much more difficult to make a monster level 100 than it is to make one level 10. The only thing that makes end game content significantly different than any other content is mob strength and ...

.... here's where the wheels come off ...

rewards. By end game players have already become very powerful, and the Devs have to figure out a way to dole out high level rewards without unbalancing and trivializing the rest of the game. This is exponentially true in games where players are allowed to twink their low level alts with the rewards of end game encounters.

As for what I want to see, I want to keep doing the same things I enjoyed that inspired me to play the game for 60+ levels - grouping, questing, exploring, roleplaying, crafting and whatever, and not face a switcho chango thanks for playing one kind of game and now here's a completely different one.

I am also a HUGE fan of alternative ability points a la EQ.

Having no end game is ideal. I don't know how logistical it would be. Think GSIII. There literatly was no end game. There was a soft level cap. That would be ideal for me. Always somthing to strive for. Probably won't work for a lot of people, but hey.

At any rate, anything but what WoW has. Or, you could just have somthing so immense and so vast, like ATITD, that no single person could possibly do it all. CardinalTarod came close with 42 of 49 tests passed in Tale 2. I passed like 11, just for reference.

Oh, and have always fun and exciting things to do. Like questing! Real honest to goodness questing. I love cicada and herb hunting in ATITD. Takes you down paths you normally wouldn't go, exploring Egypt... did I mention that people should try this game out? W00t.

I really don't see the big problem with a level cap that people can hit. Make it way out their, but people are going to complain about no level cap, or not being able to hit the level cap if you do it that way. Also, raids are very VERY FUN. If you can get a group of 30-40 together, and raid a dungeon then do it. It should still be available. Why not? Wouldn't that just restrict the player-base? Just becuase you don't want to do it, doesn't mean others don't if you know what I mean.

Also, immensive high level PvP would be a must for me. I love PvP, and I want to take people out, whether that be by 'pk', or in a battle for my faction. I want to be involved in pvp somehow.

Originally posted by frostydf2@May 27 2006, 03:42 PM
Also, raids are very VERY FUN. If you can get a group of 30-40 together, and raid a dungeon then do it. It should still be available. Why not? Wouldn't that just restrict the player-base? Just becuase you don't want to do it, doesn't mean others don't if you know what I mean.

Also, immensive high level PvP would be a must for me. I love PvP, and I want to take people out, whether that be by 'pk', or in a battle for my faction. I want to be involved in pvp somehow.
I don't have a problem, per se, with raid content being available as one of numerous other play options.

The problem is that it has an effect on the game. People who do that sort of thing believe very strongly that anything that takes 30 people to do should have rewards far greater than anything a soloer or group can ever attain. Which means that you don't simply have raiding as a content option - you have elevated it above everything else. This, in turn, leads people to race to max level so that they can experience the "good stuff", which has a dampening/trivializing effect on the rest of the game.

Another problem is raids tend to be time consuming and that makes them inaccessible to many players whose playtime doesn't permit them to attend a 6-8 hour continuous session.

So, in my humble opinion, raids yes, be all and end all of the gaming experience, no.

So far as PvP, I always support (with one qualification) there being optional/consenual PvP. But I don't pay $15 a month for some guy 20 levels higher than me to kill me for his own amusement if that's not what I want to spend my time doing. The qualification is that if the nerf wars "He killed me so he must be overpowered" stuff starts, and my PvE character keeps getting messed with because of PvP, then I don't support it.

Raids have been done to death, and I don't think they are fun. They are boring, tedious (remember more fun, less tedium) and 99% of the time get you nothing but waisting 10+ hours of your time. Why not do them? because of the reasons above.

The question is WHY do them? Well, if you like to powergame and want to show off your "3p33n" with how 1337 you are, or have nothing else better to do than spend 15 hours a day 5 days a week on a PC game, well ok. I however don't want to play another in the long long list of games that caters to that. I've been there done that, got the tee-shirt, coffee mug, Pen set, mouse pad....you get the idea. There is EQ, WoW, EQ2, DAoC, Lineage 1 and 2, FF, yadda yadda yadda.....

The dead horse is in the back, go beat it some more.

The reason people raid is not becaase it is fun, but it's the only thing most games give you to do when you max out. That, and it's the only way to upgrade your equipment at that stage, then you get to deal with the politics of raiding, kissing the butts of Uber guilds to get on raids, ect. Now, if you REALLY REALLY enjoy raiding, there are tons of games that have it, and I really hope that there is nothing in HJ that rewards powergamers. If they add content that requires people to raid, I just hope that it offers nothing in rewards that a small group or a solo player can't get on his own.

I hope HJ actually gives the MMO genre a breath of fresh air and decides to to something DIFFERENT for what you are going ot be doing the majority of the time you play a game, if you play the game for any length of time.

If I could nominate one person from all the message boards I participate on to be in the beta, it would be Morneblade (far, far ahead of me). In fact, I will go so far as to say HJ should take him right now. :P

The reason is (and I mean this good naturedly) is that from his various posts I can see that he is a powergamer who doesn't want to be a powergamer. He only does it because the games he has played reward and encourage that over everything else. If you can make a game where he feels it is worthwhile not to powergame, then by golly you've done it. You solved the puzzle of how to get powergamers to settle down and enjoy the journey instead of rushing through the game and all the stuff that brings with it. This guy IS your litmus test. :smiley:

Back