'Enterprise' Seeing Green

Robby

Helper Bot
[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans Serif]Bobbi Sue Luther, who plays a green Orion slave girl in an upcoming episode of Star Trek: Enterprise, told SCI FI Wire that she had fun bringing back an iconic alien species not seen since the original series. "I felt really honored to be on the set that day," Luther said in an interview. "And everybody really gave me props because it was the first time in 30 years that they've seen a girl like me. So everyone was really excited about that."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans Serif]The race was first introduced in the pilot episode of the original Star Trek series, "The Cage," and memorably reprised by Susan Oliver in the later episode "When Gods Destroy." Luther said that her character is reminiscent of the Orion slave girls of the past. "[The producers] wanted the original feel to my character," Luther said. "That kind of animalistic, predatory nature. I feed off of men."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans Serif]The landmark episode, titled "Borderland," will also show male Orions for the first time. "Orion males are slave traders," Luther said. "They're green and they're huge and they've got piercings. They're really magnificent-looking creatures. There was The Big Show [aka Paul Wight], a wrestler. These guys are six, seven feet tall. They're just enormous. And then you have little me next to them."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans Serif]For the role, Luther was airbrushed with multiple coats of green makeup, an arduous process that took nearly five hours. But it was nothing new for the model-turned-actress. "My fiance is a creature effects guy, so he's made me up before," she said. "A lot of people on the set were like, 'Oh, this must be new to you.' And it wasn't. So that was cool. I'm familiar with the process of airbrushing and prosthetics and things like that. I had no prosthetics on, myself. I was wigged, I had beauty makeup on and a lot of green makeup on my body. ... But it really was so much fun and I really would do it every single day. It's a little different than just putting on a little foundation, but it's definitely well worth it."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans Serif]A relative newcomer to acting, Luther said the cast and crew were very accommodating and made her feel welcome on the set. "I just want to thank all the cast members and crew members who were on the set that day for all their support and the things they taught me and how wonderful it was," she said. "It's not easy being green, but it's really easy being on Star Trek." The new season of Star Trek Enterprise premieres Friday, Oct. 8, at 8 p.m. ET/PT. "Borderland" is scheduled to air Oct. 29.[/font]

[Full article @ Sci-Fi Wire]

Back