Epic One of a Kind

There's also a talking sword in Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark. And there's a sentient sword in R.A. Salvatore's books. And various other sources. Ironically all the ones I've heard of were evil or at very least not nice.

On item uniqueness, I would be happy if I was in the mines one day and I found Darrt's Special Rock. Heck, my head might explode. I'd probably marry it too. Even if all it did was take up inventory space. I would say "I'd pass it down to my heirs" or something like that, but then I'd be lying. I'd have the rock buried with me! Maybe if I found A Rusty Spork and there was only one. Replace A Rusty Spork with any sort of item with a unique name, and you can garuntee people would be happy. And not everyone needs to have one. Maybe the really heroic characters. And if people complain about it being unfair, simply tell them "Life's not fair. Get over it. It's a game!"

I have never been a fan of items that only one player will ever be able to enjoy. What that does is turn an adventuring game into a race. Obviously you have a better chance of getting that item if you get to what drops or rewards it first. Then we have yet another game where people feel compelled to rush to end game, lest all the "good stuff" already be taken. That sounds like an outstanding Vanguard feature (since that game is based on such notions) but I would hate to see it in HJ.

What if nobody knows what drops it, or what if you buy it at a festival? What if you get something extremely cool at level 2?

What if you're chosen to help in a GM event and you roleplayed so well, you got something awesome?

What if everyone has the same chance of getting one?

We could do many things, although I'm pretty sure there would be focus around roleplay and roleplayers. I think a contest of (HJ) Elanthian lore would be neat.

Possibilities are endless. Maybe on some special day (HJ or RL although I'm not fond of bringing RL holidays into games) everyone gets a present, and it could be anything inside...

It wouldn't be just end game or raiding or known drops.

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@May 27 2006, 02:24 PM
What if nobody knows what drops it, or what if you buy it at a festival? What if you get something extremely cool at level 2?

What if you're chosen to help in a GM event and you roleplayed so well, you got something awesome?

What if everyone has the same chance of getting one?

We could do many things, although I'm pretty sure there would be focus around roleplay and roleplayers. I think a contest of (HJ) Elanthian lore would be neat.

Possibilities are endless. Maybe on some special day (HJ or RL although I'm not fond of bringing RL holidays into games) everyone gets a present, and it could be anything inside...

It wouldn't be just end game or raiding or known drops.
So long as you use mechanisms that avoid promoting a grind/race, then that alleviates my concern.

Most of the things you list avoid the grinding to endgame issue. But one does not. For example, the first person ever to kill a specific 50 mob doesn't know what it drops (they assume and hope it drops something cool). That doesn't change the fact that if you are the first guy to kill it, and if it drops that item on the first kill, obviously there was an advantage to getting there first if it will never drop that again. If there is very much of that in the game, then people feel motivated to hurry and get to the "good stuff", which, from what I have read is not what you guys are trying to do.

The other things on your list looked cool though.

I really, really want a sword that's as tall as I am and at least a hand's-length wide. Any chance of seeing something like that in game?

Originally posted by Riceman@May 27 2006, 06:37 PM
I really, really want a sword that's as tall as I am and at least a hand's-length wide. Any chance of seeing something like that in game?
If that was actually implemented into Hero's Journey I could gaurentee a million clones of Cloud Strife being made. Long, blonde spikey hair, with a huge gigantic sword.

Originally posted by frostydf2+May 27 2006, 02:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ May 27 2006, 02:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Riceman@May 27 2006, 06:37 PM
If that was actually implemented into Hero's Journey I could gaurentee a million clones of Cloud Strife being made. Long, blonde spikey hair, with a huge gigantic sword. [/b][/quote]
Actually, I'm referring more to an oversized version of the Chinese zhǎn mǎ dāo, the horse-slaying sword of the Song Dynasty. It's real enough that it could be included in a "realistic" fantasy MMORPG like Hero's Journey....but it would require its own animations, since it's so huge/heavy. That's why I ask.

I'm undecided about this issue. I've been trying to ponder it, and consider both arguments/sides to the issues arisen... but I honestly can't say it matters to me, with the exception that if One of a Kind items are "super special", the game WILL become a race.

If they're fluff items, the RP'ers will have a race to get them for themselves. But, I'm also of the school of mind, that if there is alot of unique fluff-like items, then all is good, because everyone will just about have one of these unique items, and no one will really care too much. Except those that have to whine about anything they can.

~ Jaraeth

I think having an epic weapon or armor will just not work since it might imbalance battles and such.

How about an area only the qualified can enter. A place that they can say, "I've been there". Or maybe name a mountain or a land mass after an epic hero.

Back