Season 4 Episode format - flashbacks

jems

michael's widow in mourning
Did anyone else love that the episode format of The Orphan waa like the Lost episodes? I have only recently started watching Lost (am up to episode 9) and I really love how the episodes have long flashbacks which provide the audience with details about each characters lives before the crash. I thought it was neat to use the same idea for showing us Nadia's background before she joined government intelligence. :smiley: Just wondered what everyone else thought of the way the episode was shown. :smiley:

I was thinking that too, Jems! It was like Alias got "Lost." Ha ha...I'm such a huge dork. :lol: I'm glad they didn't do the whole flashback at once, but interspersed it with the present narrative. And I like the fact that they didn't do it through a voice-over, like when Syd told her story in the Pilot.

At first, I didn't think they were using the same actress to play the teenage Nadia - she looked SO young! Thumbs-up to the hair and makeup department on that one. (y)

ETA: Did everyone know that Mia Maestro was up for the role of Kate in Lost, and that after J.J. Abrams cast Evangeline Lilly, he still wanted to work with Mia, so he crafted the Nadia role for her? I can't imagine her as Kate at all...

YES absolutely
but also with the whole rumors about up comming eps being all "[insert character] centered"
im like OMG what is this lost?!
i dunno if i like it...
i mean i like lost but... alias shouldnt become lost

but then again i LOOOOOOOOVE flashbacks - its like my fav form of story telling ^_^

Azalea said:
I was thinking that too, Jems!  It was like Alias got "Lost."  Ha ha...I'm such a huge dork. :lol:  I'm glad they didn't do the whole flashback at once, but interspersed it with the present narrative.  And I like the fact that they didn't do it through a voice-over, like when Syd told her story in the Pilot. 

At first, I didn't think they were using the same actress to play the teenage Nadia - she looked SO young!  Thumbs-up to the hair and makeup department on that one. (y)

ETA: Did everyone know that Mia Maestro was up for the role of Kate in Lost, and that after J.J. Abrams cast Evangeline Lilly, he still wanted to work with Mia, so he crafted the Nadia role for her?  I can't imagine her as Kate at all...
[post="1273804"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

no way can i imagine nadia as kate :lol:

and did she ever look young!! it was amazing!!! (y)

hahah this is exactly what I was thinking...it was like watching Lost...but not :mellow:

I thought it was pretty cool...like a subtle crossover of the two shows :D

sarkandme said:
I wasn't as impressed with the flashbacks as I hoped to be.  They did it better on Buffy and Angel.
[post="1274219"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It reminded me more of Angel (no surprise as Bell co-wrote it). I thought it was well done but not quite up to the level of Angel eps like AYNOHYEB, Darla, or Damage. Still I'm glad they gave it a go. This season has fealt far more varied format wise which is good plus its been far less bogged down with too much mythology for its own good like s3 was (you could argue Angel s4 suffered from the same problem but for me the writers there managed to pull it off so that as a whole it was more satisfying)
un

PS Given Losts huge rating base it makes sense for Alias to try to use similar formats however I doubt it was a consious effort (unless the network got involved).

Azalea said:
Did everyone know that Mia Maestro was up for the role of Kate in Lost, and that after J.J. Abrams cast Evangeline Lilly, he still wanted to work with Mia, so he crafted the Nadia role for her?  I can't imagine her as Kate at all...
[post="1273804"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah I knew that, and the only reason I don't see her as Kate is because she's Latina (which I totally love! :love: I'm a huge Spy Sister fan).

If she was American she could totally be Kate! :cool:

And as for this episode reminding everyone of Lost, yeah, well, who wasn't thinking "The Orphan"... "A Nadia episode"?!?!

OF COURSE it reminded me of Lost. It was a Lost-structure episode and I enjoyed it.

If the rating had been decent (Alias had its worst rating of the season last night), it would all have been perfect.

I watched the episode tonight and IT ROCKED!! Mia Maestro is fantastic - when she speaks Spanish she seems more real, and she's still really good when she speaks English.

I'm just thrilled about Spy Sister and her backstory!!! :love: I luv Nadia!!

sarkandme said:
I wasn't as impressed with the flashbacks as I hoped to be.  They did it better on Buffy and Angel.
[post="1274219"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Maybe, but those 2 shows are for a younger audience (not that Alias isn't for young people but it's great for everyone). And it doesn't help that cast members on those shows were monsters (or at least that's what they looked like).

I think they did a fine job on the flashbacks. The best part was young Nadia and how well Mia did with the acting. I speak Spanish very fluently and let me tell you, I thought the flashbacks were well done.

The only thing was they again went to their working-for-the-bad-guys-thinking-it-was-the-good-guys theme. It's already been done on this show (I think! :lol: ). But I guess it's a good thing since now we know Nadia's gone through a lot of the same things as Sydney has.

Thinking about it part of the problem was that the reveration that Nadia killed the guy was not really that big a shock. Plus as you say the working for the bad guy posing as good guy was old hat - but was he really doing that? Why would his death cause such a shock wave if he really was bad - surely it'd make more sense if he really was a top level agent and Nadia had been fed misinformation (she didn't confirm it was true as far as we know).
un

PS I really dont think Angel was for that much of an younger audience the best stuff was very very dark. How many shows pilots have the hero not able to save the clinet for example?

I really like the flashbacks as well. It was really convincing and everything. And yeah I liked the guy who played the martinez. I wonder if this is a sample to come in the upcoming episodes. I know there are rumours circulating that "dead" characters will be coming back, now i'm thinking if there are flash backs then it won't get tiresome.

I have a question: what did Nadia find out about Roberto to make her kill him? (I missed that part).

it was done very well, with the flashbacks ... I don't think there could have been any other way in telling Nadia's back story ;)

Alias_Gay Posted Mar 25 2005, 05:58 PM
it was done very well, with the flashbacks ... I don't think there could have been any other way in telling Nadia's back story 
Absolutely...and yes, it was done like they do on LOST, but this had to be done this way.
Now here's something for you to 'chew' on...Nadia's back story reminded me of a great French film noir done in the early 90's, La Femme Nikita. It also was done with French subtitles and the storyline extremely reminiscent. (There was a TV show also done in the 90's by the same name and an AMerican movie called Point of No Return which was our version of the French film.) If you haven't seen it, see if you can download or rent it. Good story.

:cool:

While I was watching the episode, I was trying to figure out the meaning of why we were seeing this back story of Nadia's. We didn't find out anything earth shattering, but it did help the story along. I just can't help but think that there is stuff that went on in the back story that won't mean anything to us for awhile.

Knowing that JJ is doing that with Lost - I am looking for little hints and clues that will put the puzzle together.

Back