Equestrian

Existentialist

Entertainment Moderator
Does anyone here ride and compete? And in what?

I ride (actually, I'll be on a horse in less than 15 hours), but not as much as I used to. I used to show... a lot of stable shows, and some schooling shows. I did one 'B' show. I rode my "life partner," Herbie (who died in a fire unfortunately after I moved away) in english pleasure and large pony hunters. It was a good time. I miss showing. I hope to be doing it again soon, but I'm not too happy with the stable I'm at now. If I go to the college I went to last year next year, then I have a stable picked out, and they sound pretty cool.

~\___
/ \ / \

OMEGOSH! I WANT A HORSE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD! I wish i could ride well! i've only cantered once or twice :( but its wayyyyyyyt too esxpensive :(

murkywater i totally can relate! omg it's so expensive. but I follow anything equestrian. Horse racing (the triple crown! ya!) Show jumping. though i haven't seen anything this year yet. Guess the season just started. It is april afterall. But I can't wait till the Kentucky Derby! I'm so sad that I"m gonna miss it. But i'm gonna force my parents to tape it for me. and then the Preakness, and then the Belmont. And I wanna see if there's any new horses around that can jump really well... Any one love Richard Spooner and Robinson?
--Mandy :angelic:

Any one love Richard Spooner and Robinson?

They're a great team! I never seem to catch show jumping on TV, but it's so exciting when I do... I love watching it. My favorite rider was always Michael Matz... and he's training race horses now. I loved him and Rhum IV, back in like '96. I also like Margie Goldstein-Engle and her horses.

Oh i watch it all the time in the summer and i sometimes even tape it. and then my parents will think i'm crazy... oh well *sigh* I've never heard of either Margie Goldstein-Engle or Michael Matz. probably because i didn't get into horses until a couple years ago...
---Mandy :angelic:

I've never heard of either Margie Goldstein-Engle or Michael Matz. probably because i didn't get into horses until a couple years ago...

Ah, I see. I've loved horses my entire life. At one point, I subscribed to 3 horse magazines (Practical Horseman, Equus, and Horse Illustrated). Talk about OBSESSED.

lol. My parent's arn't all up to me with buying magazines (think it's a waste of money) but once me and my dad were at petsmarts getting something for my newt and i actually pursuaded him to get me a copy of horse illustarted. and i was staring at it for almost a week :lol: :rotflmao:

My parent's arn't all up to me with buying magazines (think it's a waste of money) but once me and my dad were at petsmarts getting something for my newt and i actually pursuaded him to get me a copy of horse illustarted. and i was staring at it for almost a week

Aw! Yeah, now that I look back on it, I really was spoiled with horse stuff... Now, not so much, since I have to pay for most of it myself... Though as long as I stay on the dean's list at whatever college I'm at, they are paying for lessons once a week. For the summer, I might try to work to get more riding time.

Existentialist said:
My parent's arn't all up to me with buying magazines (think it's a waste of money) but once me and my dad were at petsmarts getting something for my newt and i actually pursuaded him to get me a copy of horse illustarted. and i was staring at it for almost a week

Aw! Yeah, now that I look back on it, I really was spoiled with horse stuff... Now, not so much, since I have to pay for most of it myself... Though as long as I stay on the dean's list at whatever college I'm at, they are paying for lessons once a week. For the summer, I might try to work to get more riding time.
:eek: r u seriously They PAY for your riding lessons?!

r u seriously They PAY for your riding lessons?!

Yep. This is the first time in a while that they have though (I just restarted lessons last month). I rode a little bit my soph. year of HS, but I had to pay for them myself, and I had to quit for a few years. I took lessons last year and paid myself. While I was riding in NY, lessons were up to $45 for a one hour group lesson. At this new place I'm at, it's $100 for 5 lessons. A much better price. I feel guilty for being so spoiled (so I do triple the chores my brother does), but I need to ride. It's part of who I am.

I ride all the time. My neighbor lets me ride whenever i want. I have gotten so much better. I ride a quarter horse names Sassy and a paint named Tara. She has an attitude. They are so nice and big to just give a hug.
I could compete but I have never been really interested in showing.

Okay, my new riding instructor is interesting. She teaches using the "forward riding" method... I've seen books on it, but I never knew what it was, until now. She makes us do a lot of one rein halts and oblique halts. Definately not what I'm used to. But it's interesting.

I LOVE horseracing(i practically live at the track on weekends)! I go whenever i can talk my dad into taking me to hollywood park(the closest one to us) But a few weeks ago, we ended up bringing his girlfriend, what we didn't know, was the fact that she found racing disgusting and immoral. It was aweful. when she saw where we were going(we were trying to surprise her) she totally blew a gasget. We ended up going home. I was so mad.

I like riding too, but I'm badly allergic to horses and I have asthma so it's really difficult for me. :confused: :( :thinking:

My best friend in elementary school had a horse, but when he got old and lame they bought a new one. I was so sad.

~Bridie :cellphone:

I LOVE horseracing(i practically live at the track on weekends)! I go whenever i can talk my dad into taking me to hollywood park(the closest one to us) But a few weeks ago, we ended up bringing his girlfriend, what we didn't know, was the fact that she found racing disgusting and immoral. It was aweful. when she saw where we were going(we were trying to surprise her) she totally blew a gasget. We ended up going home. I was so mad.

Ohhh that stinks! I hate when people are all "riding horses, etc, is soo mean to the horse!" If you are doing it right, of course it isn't. :angry: I love horse racing, and I know that sometimes the horses are abused, but obviously, I don't agree with that.

Some horses love to race... they just love being competitive and stretching their legs out. And I used to know an old school horse, Rosie, who refused to take vacations from the lesson program. She'd go on hunger strike when the kids stopped riding her and she'd try to kick down her stall door.

I wish I knew what is going on in horses' minds... or in any animal's mind, really.

lol. last weekend i went with my friend to his little sister's riding stable. They had a baby foal!!!!! i was so giddy. but the mother was abused so she wouldn't let me to near. but i did get to scratch the little baby!!! hehe. Kentucky Derby's in a WEEK!!!!!! and i get to watch it because my band trip is canceled!!!! yay! and Alias Fanale!!!! yay! next week end is gonna be the bomb!!!!! hehe *giddy*
and yes some horses loves to race, it's in their blood, they are throughbreds after all. I want a trip crown winner this year!!! it would be the first one in a quarter of a centry!!!

eeeekkk derby in two days!!!! alias fanale in three!!! i'm soo giddy! hehe *goes crazy* any ways the derby entrants... in order of their post

Post/Program# Horse Trainer Jockey Morning Line*
#1 Supah Blitz, Manny Tortora, Rosemary Homeister, Jr. 50-1
#2 Brancusi, Patrick Biancone, Tony Farina, 30-1
#3 Sir Cherokee, Michael Tomlinson, Terry Thompson, 15-1
#4 Atswhatimtalknbout, Ron Ellis, David Flores, 12-1
#5 Peace Rules, Peace Rules, Edgar Prado, 8-1
#6 Funny Cide, Barclay Tagg, Jose Santos, 15-1
#7 Offlee Wild, T.V. Smith, Robby Albarado, 30-1
#8 Buddy Gil, Jeff Mullins, Gary Stevens, 8-1
#9 Indian Express, Bob Baffert, Tyler Baze, 12-1
#10 Lone Star Sky, Tom Amoss, Shane Sellers, 50-1
#11 Domestic Dispute, Patrick Gallagher, Alex Solis, 30-1
#12 Empire Maker, Robert Frankel, Jerry Bailey, 6-5
#13 Eye Of The Tiger, Jerry Hollendorfer, Eibar Coa, 50-1
#14 Ten Cents A Shine,D. Wayne Lukas, Calvin Borel, 50-1
#15 Outta Here, William Currin, Kent Desormeaux, 50-1
#16 Ten Most Wanted, Wallace Dollase, Pat Day, 6-1
#17 Scrimshaw, D. Wayne Lukas, Cornelio Velasquez, 15-1

so un like last year, we have a heavy favourite, Empire maker which is for a good reason since that horse won the wood memorial by 1/2 a length and the florida derby by 9 3/4! any ways may the best horse win :D if any one needs more info go to..http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2003/ have fun everyone

Back