Equestrian

excatly quarter of a century actually! It would be soooo great if he won. First new york gelding to win!!!!
--mandy :angelic:

lol well ya duh. but name the last time that a filly ran in the derby.
--Mandy :angelic:

but name the last time that a filly ran in the derby.

The last one was Three Ring, in 1999. She finished last after a really bad trip. She died later that year in a freak accident (she was in the walking ring before a race, a camera flash scared her, she reared up and fell backwards and bashed her head. Poor girl). Before that was Serena's Song, who led for about a mile, before tiring badly and finishing 16th in 1995 (she later went on to become a top runner... second leading filly money earner). The last filly to win the Derby, was, of course, Winning Colors in 1988. Genuine Risk in 1982 won the Derby and finished second in both the Preakness and the Belmont.

Funny Cide's Preakness was very impressive. I think this distance suited him best. I'm kinda worried about the Belmont for him, 'cause it's a mile and a half, and I don't know if he can make it that far. Plus, the Preakness came up with a pretty light field, 'cause it seems a lot of people decided to wait for the Belmont. Like Empire Maker, who should really do well in the mile and a half distance. Plus, I like Bobby Frankel and I want to see him win a triple crown race... and I looove Empire Maker. It's gonna be one good race, let me tell ya.

Existentialist said:
but name the last time that a filly ran in the derby.

The last one was Three Ring, in 1999. She finished last after a really bad trip. She died later that year in a freak accident (she was in the walking ring before a race, a camera flash scared her, she reared up and fell backwards and bashed her head. Poor girl).
Oh my gosh! I remember that!!! That was so sad... :(

aliasgirl000 said:
i like horsies!
haha :lol: :lol: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: ::rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: omg that cracked me up. sorry. any ways poor horse, did they sue to get who ever that was flashing the light bulb?! grrr. and i was surprised how few horses turned up for the Preakness, and especially that only 4 derby horses showed up. but i guess they're going to have a bigger field for the Belmont.

did u guys know that a horse call High Echelon won the 1970 Belmont?? i was like OMG when i saw it!!! and another one called Sir Dixion won in 1988! i mean wha'ts with the Alias signs???!!! hehe

current canidates for the 2003 Belmont Stakes all but two horses were from either the Derby or the Preakness.

• Atswhatimtalknbout
• Best Minister
• Colita
• Dynever
• Empire Maker
• Funny Cide
• Midway Road
• Outta Here
• Scrimshaw
• Ten Most Wanted

No, they never sued the person using the flash... it's not illegal... and it was probably a magazine or newspaper guy doing it, since it was before a pretty big race. Three Ring was just extremely nervous.

Anyone remember 2 years ago, at the Breeders Cup (I think it was at Belmont), when Exogenous reared up right before going to the track and got her leg caught in that metal thing? That was soooo sad. I think I started crying when they kept showing it. And then last year, the horse I wanted to win one of the BC races broke down (his name was Landseer and it was one of the turf races), and they showed the replay and you could totally see the poor horse's leg flapping around. :( :( The sport is so great, but it can be so heartbreaking too.

Man... I went riding on Thursday (on my birthday), and my instructor is EVIL and made me ride with my stirrups really short, so I felt like a jockey, only the horse I was riding was a stout Appaloosa who was being a brat. I have tendinitis in my knees, so it hurt sooo bad, but I couldn't complain, 'cause when you're riding a horse, you don't complain. At least, that's my rule.

awww. that's so sad!!! i can't watch any breeder's cups races because NBC doesn't show them!!!!! stupid NBC *mumbles* you would think that appaloosa are gentle. well what can i say, you volunteered yourself for it.
--mandy :angelic:

Wait... but NBC always shows the Breeders Cup in late October or early November. It used to be ABC, but they switched for whatever reason. NBC doesn't do very good coverage, unfortunately. But that's okay, it's still horseracing.

Appaloosas are generally gentle... but they can be very stubborn. And this one, Smoky, was getting way too hyper about jumping. And he wouldn't trot in a straight line. The first horse I ever rode was an Appy... her name was Star and she was really really gentle. Probably 'cause she was like a billion years old! :lol: But yeah, she was stubborn too. I have never ridden an Appy that I've liked... which is kind of sad.

ohhh cool. okay just to update on belmont news. it seems like more horses have entered.

• Atswhatimtalknbout
• Best Minister
• Colita
• Dynever
• Empire Maker
• Funny Cide
• Go Rockin' Robin
• Midway Road
• Outta Here
• Scrimshaw
• Supervisor
• Ten Most Wanted

it seems like the field is now set for 12. with five horses that have not ran in either preakness or the Derby.

Updating the potential field for the Belmont...

Best Minister
Dynever
Empire Maker
Funny Cide
Scrimshaw
Supervisor
Ten Most Wanted

Possible are...
Midway Road
Outta Here
Wild and Wicked

Colita was pulled out 'cause of lack of experience. Atswhatimtalknbout has been having foot problems, so they decided to ship him back to CA for some R and R.

poor him! my horse is sound behind, but in front her shoes have been cut too short by the farrier, so next time she will need to b shod a little wider!

Outta Here is no longer being considered for the Belmont.

Man.... I realized yesterday that the Belmont is this Saturday and I have to work from 1-7! GRRRRR I'm gonna have to tape all of it.

I've never been into riding that much. I have a boss who has three adorable horses though: Sugar, Peekaboo, and Skittles. They are gorgeous and I can ride them whenever I want to.

Back