Equestrian

uggghhh just imagine being ran over by 1000 pound over animals.. *shudder*

Ugh ugh ugh. I can't even imagine it. I fell off once and the pony I stepped on my shoulder. But it wasn't a full crush... and he was definately not as big as the racehorses.

That's something i think i 'll never can do.

:( Me neither. I'd keep the old pony as a companion. When I have my horses, I am never going to be able to get rid of them when they get old. They're gonna have a home for life. That's how it should be.

yeah
That's how it should be.

you're absolutly right..
IF there's a possibility to keep an old horse that's something you should do- i mean you went with him/her trough good and bad times, maybe won a few competions and only it's getting old with the illnesses you'll have when you're going older you get rid of- that's something i can't understand....
But if there's no possibility then there's no :(
But i think that's a big problem in this "sport" -- the people who are active need (young,)good and healthy horses...and many of them have no patience/conscience ( and "too" much money)when there horse got ill and simply bye a new and better one. .. that's a sad aspect of this sport...
But there are many happy aspects-can you celebrate a won contest with a ball, etc.? ;)

Very very true. At the stable I used to ride at, one of the ladies whose children rode there would take all the retired or injured school and show horses and keep them in her huge pasture, where they would stay until they died. And we could go visit whenever we wanted.

I rode an amazing horse on Thursday. Big, dappled grey TB named Shadow. Kind of high strung personality, but very agreeable. I hope I have the chance to ride him some more.

If you can go along with the personality of a horse that's really good....
I think what this sport makes it so special is that you have to go along and work togehther with someone you can't talk you in an easy way...I mean you can't simply tell a horse want you want...you need a differnt way of communication... and how good you are in your communication how good can be in riding...
I mean you can disturb the trust of a horse in yourself in one day when you can't control yourself and you'll have a bad day- you simply can't tell him you had a bad day...and then it'll takes a long time to rebuilt the trust...
But when a horse loves and trust he/ she will go with you through (nearly) every situation.

It depends on the horse, on how long it takes them to trust you again if it's just one bad day. Horses are incredibly forgiving creatures... I love that about them.

cruel- i did'nt read the whole article but i think what i read is enough......
It's a sad article but not so sad the ones I read about the transports to the slaughter-houses for examlpe in Italiy...They broke my heart- I was crying after i read them...

Ugh... I know. They make me so sad.

But then again, on the ASPCA site, I saw a little video clip where a ringling brothers' employee was beating an elephant, and I was like sobbing.

Existentialist said:
I used to. I showed in prelim, and after that, english pleasure and hunter classes.
really? sounds great! (y)

I prefer classic dressage- but I must say there isn't really anything else besides jumping and military :rolleyes: :smiley: :D

I always wanted to get into dressage... but I love jumping. It's my favorite thing to do. Plus, it's what I do best at shows. In equitation, I've not placed on the flat and then won the jump class. It's weird. I got away with a lot of sloppy stuff on the flat, but my instructor now is fixing that. Plus, she has me doing turn on the haunches and forehand and some other basic dressage stuff. It's fun. But I love watching dressage. It's so elegant.

Existentialist said:
I always wanted to get into dressage... but I love jumping. It's my favorite thing to do. Plus, it's what I do best at shows. In equitation, I've not placed on the flat and then won the jump class. It's weird. I got away with a lot of sloppy stuff on the flat, but my instructor now is fixing that. Plus, she has me doing turn on the haunches and forehand and some other basic dressage stuff. It's fun. But I love watching dressage. It's so elegant.
I love the classical dressage :smiley: but I can also jump
but I prefer the dressage even if other ppl tell me i should do jumping at competions and not riding dressage
('cause if the rick (? right word?) fells it fells- so it's more objective)

('cause if the rick (? right word?) fells it fells- so it's more objective)

Rick? I have never heard that term! LoL Do you mean the poles? And yes, and no about jumping being more objective. It depends on what you do. In jump classes, you and your horse are judged on speed and accuracy (fastest, cleanest... no poles down... round wins). In equitation, the rider is judged on style. In hunter classes, the horse is judged on his style. But in these two classes, knocking a jump down is generally very bad.

Yes I mean poles :D Sorry but English is not my motherlanguage so it's really hard for me sometimes to talk about specific themes :smiley:
Are the hunter classes only for young horses (5-7 years???? ) ???

It's okay! ;)

And no, hunter classes are open to all horses. There are classes that are for green horses... those are usually called like "first year green hunters" or something... usually those are pretty young horses. There are also some shows that have age specific hunter classes. But the open hunter classes have no age limit.

Back