Eve Online

thebiv

Cadet
Eve Online is having a free trial right now. I just started playing (about four days in) and so far I love it. I believe it is the game that will hold me over until HJ. Anyone else give it a shot yet? If so do you like it/dislike it? and why? If you get through the lengthy tutorial and are looking for a nice newbie friendly corp(guild) send me a message (Bavin Marloso, is my char)

I tried it awhile back... some others here have as well.
I didn't care for the movement or combat. I thought you could actually pilot your own ship into combat.

Here is an old thread about it: HEROSHALL.COM

My boyfriend plays. He's spent the last four months doing all the learning skills (to boost his stats) and in four days he'll finally start learning actual skills.

They increase the time you learn skills though, as well as combat related things, so I guess it was time well spent. It's not like he had to be in game to do it.

I don't know about this whole, "not in-game" xp deal. To me, it seems just as bad if not worse as the concept of power leveling. The point of a mmorpg is to play it, enjoy it, and then be rewarded for your hard work. I guess thats just me.

WatchMaker said:
I don't know about this whole, "not in-game" xp deal. To me, it seems just as bad if not worse as the concept of power leveling. The point of a mmorpg is to play it, enjoy it, and then be rewarded for your hard work. I guess thats just me.
I see what your saying there. However its not like someone can just pay for an account for a few months, change there skill sets training once every few days, and immediatley be amazing at the game when they are done. If someone did that they would not have the cash assets to purchase the equipment they need.

The ammount of money you earn versus the price of required upgrades is where the hard work is required, and where you see it pay off. However the non in game exp earning works out great for me. As I don't have more than an hour or two a night in which I can play the game due to school, work, and social activities. Ofcourse I dont have enough ISK(money) to pay for upgrades alot of the time. But atleast I don't feel handicapped for leading a busy life. When I am on I simply have to work hard to gain money so I can catchup with my skills.

I heard a really awesome story, about a Corp who was building a station or something (egg?) and how they had to rally all their members and allies, and defend the construction of the base from their rivals while shipping in building materials. It sounded pretty awesome. The fact that big events, are made and run by players, is what I usually hear about Eve that makes me really respect it. Its not my kind of game, but the fact that the world is pretty much run by player Corps and that there's politics and major wars/piracy/sabotage all controlled by players and their alliegiances, sounds pretty amazing.

Pietoro said:
I heard a really awesome story, about a Corp who was building a station or something (egg?) and how they had to rally all their members and allies, and defend the construction of the base from their rivals while shipping in building materials. It sounded pretty awesome. The fact that big events, are made and run by players, is what I usually hear about Eve that makes me really respect it. Its not my kind of game, but the fact that the world is pretty much run by player Corps and that there's politics and major wars/piracy/sabotage all controlled by players and their alliegiances, sounds pretty amazing.

Ya it is from what I have seen. Though I haven't seen much yet. About all I've done with my corp is run protection on some mining runs in 0.0 security space (aka pvp, pirate/anti pirate, area) where all the good mining belts are. It was still fun, helping run off a group of pirates.

Thanks, Javewa... I think. Now, a few hours of mixed work and blog reading later, I have managed to get sucked into the 0.0 Experiment and am 35 blogs into an adventure I now feel compelled to finish reading.

Who knows... Maybe this will inspire me to give EVE a second chance. :smiley:

i tried eve for a bit. i did like the way you level up your skills. but i just didnt get into it enough for it to hold my attention. i got tired of doing the low level missions for barely any ISK and so it took me for ever to afford a decent ship.

but the real attraction for most people is the enourmous amount of space there is to explore and the constant player to player interaction. it is almost limitless. here is a story that actually was the reason i tried the game out...

Multimedia Business Memo Digs – treading through the business marketing world

i am telling you this is worth the read. someone scanned the magazine article and posted it there. you can see the little thumbs of the pages, click on them for readable ones.

the nuts and bolts of it is someone hired a merc corp kill the ceo of the biggest corp in the game at the time. well not only did they do that they also stole 30 billion ISK worth of raw material, cash and equipment. this is about 1 and a half yrs old but still cool.

Yeah, the same for me. It is an enjoyable game in short doses, but it doesn't hold me over the long term. TCO has a pretty solid core of players that have been in the game for a year or more.
Just not my cup of pixels, as it were.

Haha! That's completely incredible. I'd heard things could be brutal but jeebus... I don't play the game, but some concepts easily penetrate the language barrier. I think I fall into the 'impressed and disgusted' category at that heist.

Docmdnite said:
i tried eve for a bit. i did like the way you level up your skills. but i just didnt get into it enough for it to hold my attention. i got tired of doing the low level missions for barely any ISK and so it took me for ever to afford a decent ship.

From what I have been reading, doing low level missions for a beginner corporation is what drives many away. I guess you are supposed to go straight to a Player Corp, after your tutorial, and begin your adventure there.

Maybe I'll look up TCO folks in game if I give EVE a try again. :smiley:

yeah but you cant get a decent ship or equipment unless you have ISK to jump into Corp missions. and you cant do Corp stuff w/ the lame starter ship. it's a catch 22.

one of our guildies took over my toon and from what i hear he is quite a leveled toon now. hehe.

I signed up for EVE yesterday. My toon is exactly where I left him after my 14 day trial back in July. Unfortunately, I don't remember most of what the tutorial taught me and I don't feel like starting over... so I am going to find a newbie guide somewhere and wing it. :D I am so tired of single player games, that I had to do something. ;)

85K ISK and a Condor is at least better than nothing. Skills are moving again. I think I am going to go the Bounty Hunter route.

Navarre said:
I signed up for EVE yesterday. My toon is exactly where I left him after my 14 day trial back in July. Unfortunately, I don't remember most of what the tutorial taught me and I don't feel like starting over... so I am going to find a newbie guide somewhere and wing it. :D I am so tired of single player games, that I had to do something. ;)

85K ISK and a Condor is at least better than nothing. Skills are moving again. I think I am going to go the Bounty Hunter route.

Send me a message if you'd like to join up with the corp I'm in. I went on a level 3 mission with them last night (i'm still a noob so I wasn't really able to provide much help) Made almost 1million isk just off the bounty splits. It was alot of fun

Back