Everyone Hates Melissa

Azhria Lilu

Captain
Everyone Hates Melissa

Date: 29 December, 2003
Source: Woman's Day
Story: Marion Collins
Thanks to member Intel for submitting this story!

Australian actress Melissa George is rapidly becoming the most hated woman on American television!

Starring in the cult TV series Alias, the former Home And Away star and three-time Logie winner is so convincingly awful as agent Lauren Reed, fans of the show are now clamouring to have her dumped.

The rabid fans are outraged that her character has married Michael Vaughn, who's played by the sexy Michael Vartan.

They wanted him to marry the beautiful spy Sydney Bristow (played by Jennifer Garner) who - in storylines seen in the US- was missing in action for two years, but is still in love with Michael. And it seems there's nothing fans like about Melissa or her snooty character. They have complained in droves about her English accent, her looks and even her eyebrows.

Melissa, 27, got some idea of how deep the anti-Lauren feelings run when she was booed by fans at a convention in California in September.

One fan reported on stephid.diaryland.com website: "Melissa actually got booed twice. She was asked why the fans were booing her and she said, 'They don't understand.' I was like, what the hell did you say? I was like, actually I understand. Everyone wants Vaughn and Syd together, see? That's why we hate her."

Now Alias fans are burning up Internet message boards and fansites with one simple request - dump Lauren!

Gatekeeper writing on the invisionfree.com message board says: "Repercussions (a recent episode) is so lame. It's trying to make us like Lauren. Well, it's not working. That character has just gotta go."

Tiff chimes in: "Lauren totally gets on my nerves. It's her voice. Who's she trying to be?"

Gkpfan loathes her: "I've never hated someone so much on a TV show! I hate her accent, hate her face, and after last night's preview clips, I'm gonna hate her more!" One fan who calls herself Sydney agrees: "Vaughn should dump Lauren. She's so ugly." While another notes of her acting: "Melissa George's eyebrows inflate."

To make things worse, petitiononline.com is urging fans to sign a letter to Alias's producers to have her fired. "The fans want this, and we deserve it," it reads. So far, almost 900 people have signed. Could Melissa's days working as a super-spy be numbered?

awwwwwwwww That's so sad :( I feel so bad for Melissa! (even though i'm still not liking Lauren ;) ) That's mean! I think making her evil would be a good choice right now
--Mandy :angelic:

I can't believe that people are really trying to get her off the show. If we, the fans, get our way all the time, then the show would be predictable and eventually get the can. Lauren Reed's character adds conflict to the show and I think that is terrific- it makes me keep watching to see if Vaughn will dump her or if she is really who she seems to be.

How awful! At least there are people who support both Lauren and Melissa :D

I think that article has made the situation worse than it is, though (unsurprisingly with the media). The "Get Melissa Fired" campaign is certainly much much smaller than the "Get Lauren out and bring Syd and Vaughn back together" wishes.

I am not Lauren Reeds biggest fan but Melissa is in no way ugly or annyoing. What I wouldnt give to look like her. I think it's sad that people can not distinguish a tv character and a real person.

Okay, I know that it's wrong to be mean to an actress just because she plays a character you hate, but I couldn't help giggling all the way through that article! :lol: :Ph34r: I agree with mandy though, lauren should be evil! (Then vaughn would have a good reason to divorce her! ;) )

wow. i have no problem whatsoever with melissa. I mean, it's not her fault that she got casted as lauren reed! What if it were the other way around? JG as lauren reed... then would we hate JG as much?

I think this is really unfair for her, it's just a character she's playing.

omg thats terrible!! god i would hate to be poor melissa right now!
geez people take this show way to serious! i hate her character too but i would never want melissa to get fired cause the audience hates her.

I like Melissa's character, shes done a great job on the show, and the fans of the show are just giving her the short end of the stick... and thats not fair to her, she doesnt deserve that. She is a competant actor, who busts her ass every week to bring joy every Sunday night at 9pm to play the b**** that we all know and love :smiley: And now that shes rumored to be playing the Baddie, I'm sure I'll like her even more when/if that happens :smiley: AND she is sure as hell NOT ugly!!

(no wonder the british dont like us very much)

Forgive me for sounding a bit blunt in my previous post... but that not fair to her and maybe I overdid it a little... sorry folks :D Like the site :smiley:

You're all a bunch of kissasses!!!!!!!!!!!! Melissa should go. Maybe she can stay and be evil, but I wouldn't care if she was dropped from the show. I feel bad for the actress, but I can't help the way I feel, she is just annoying.

OneFishTwoFish said:
I am not Lauren Reeds biggest fan but Melissa is in no way ugly or annyoing. What I wouldnt give to look like her. I think it's sad that people can not distinguish a tv character and a real person.
I agree whole heartedly.

Its unfortunate that people have become so hateful towards not only Lauren but also MG. But J.J. Abrams must of been delusional if he actually believed that most, if not all, the fans would like Lauren Reed. I don't like how she was booed at a convention but not surprised.

I don't hate MG...I don't hate her because she plays Lauren Reed. Do you think people would hate her if she played Carrie instead? Or maybe Francie?

I am one person who def cannot stand Lauren the CHARACTER, but to boo Melissa the ACTRESS off the stage at a con is just horrible. Poor girl :( . People need to get a grip and realize she is just doing a job, and this is TV, not real life, jeez!

If they wanna boo someone it should be Lena Olin for not coming back to the show even after every single one of her demands were met and she was offered a "Sharon Stone type salary". I LOVED Irina the CHARACTER, but Lena..... :confused: -_-

OK I hate Lauren but i mean can people not see the differnence between an actress and her character. I'm sure Melissa george is a lovely person and i loved her in Home and Away and when she guest starred on Friends as Emma's nanny. I think the fact we all hate Lauren so much is just cos too many of us are obsessed with the thought of s/v getting together and we were all "ripped apart" as Syd said when Syd finally got Vaughn oinly to lose him to Lauren!! It's a shame for Melissa thoguh. poor thing! :(

I agree with Jems! I luved her character on Home and Away n the reason we hate her is because we want S/V to get back together! i hate Lauren but i dont hate MG, some people cant see the difference between them! I feel sorry for MG coz she luvs her jobs n people are tryin to get her fired!

Geez...people are really serious. What's their problem? I'm definately not a fan of her character, but that's going way too far...

o i know jst bcuz u hate her character she plays doesnt mean u have to hate her

i think the artcile wrote that wrong i dotn think shes the most hated actress i think her CHARACTER is the most hated actress

jeez lay off

thats horrible! i hope she doesnt' get fired, just become evil (even more evil like join covenant) and leave vaughn. i bet if they broke vaughn and lauren up, no more booin :smiley:

definatly don't hate the actress, hate the character lol

wow, my friend told me about this after seeing it on her boards....I think it's just awful for Mg...she doesn't entirely deserve it. Some of the criticisms I agree with but that doesn't mean you go about shoving ppl's less attractive qualities in their faves like her looks. :angry: As for her accent and her character, I quite agree that sometime soon, Lauren has to go. I see her as a temp character. Not long term. and I don't mean getting her fired and completely off the show-I just mean out of the spotlight so to speak. I think her character can add something to the show, but I want Syd and Vaughn-not Vaughn and Lauren and all this triangle felgercarb.

To put it simply and sum it up-I HATE LAUREN, always will, but MG doesn't deserve to be mistreated b/c she's playing a character who's story line does not agree with the fans-that's just dumb, some ppl can't seperate reality from tv..

Back