Sci-Fi Evidence of a Parallel Universe or not?

GA Carter

Cadet
In dipole moments substances can be permanent but in the absence of an external field they can vanish. Surely a substance can't just disappear and not exist. So where is it going...another universe?? Any budding chemical geniuses out there that can explain?

I always love the concept of parallel universe. My opinion is:
  • I believe the verse is an evolving closed-loop system where multiple universe may exists, collapse, connects, avoids or even merge.
  • I believe multiple universe can be similar to our own or even much different in terms of materials.
  • There might even be exact copies or slightly different copies of this universe, but its a different universe in essence.
  • Time travel to the past might be a result in jumping to such universe copy with slower timeframe / renderspeed. Therefore changes is not relevant to the universe where the time traveler originated.
  • If an anomaly occurs in our universe, the cause of the anomaly itself may be outside the boundary of this universe. Substance that just gone might jumps to other universe, while substance that suddenly appears might originated from other universe.
Trying to write it down, but still a mess since not a science guy:
A-verse
Big Bang & The Expanding Universe

And I do believe time can cause differences in a universe.

Just a concept and not to be considered as truth.

Interesting stuff and for a non-science guy you seem to have a concept which is nothing less than a theory. Gene Roddenberry had a fictional idea called warp drives, and now that we know space is flexible it is a theory with some considerable science fact behind it.

I'm not sure about time travel causing a paradox though. If past time can't be changed (if it could we can't have a stable present), then changes made by a time traveller visiting the past must just lead to an "alternate" present with the creation of another string or path to a newly created parallel and if this is so then parallels must surely be infinite or have the potential to be. What a thought...somewhere out there I am a wealthy, healthy, happy guy and Richard Branson is poor !

Do the substances actually disappear or just dissipate?
I'm not at all convinced of parallel universe theory is accurate but who knows.

My understanding is that during dipole moments they disappear and then reappear, eventually dissipating. What intrigues me is that they can reappear at all.

Well...which specific "dipole moment" is in question? Not that I'm any kind of expert....I don't even play one on TV but now I'm curious.

I found three quotes.
"The molecules of most substances have dipole moments."
"Polar compounds have dipole moments."
"All the ones that contains the elements Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen."

Surely for a dimension to exist it has to have something in it. If it has something in it then it can't be unused.

Did Einstien suggest parallel universes first or was it William James...or was James multiverse (which may be the same thing)?

Unused dimension? Can you elaborate on that one?

String Theory I believe predicts there are 11 or 26 dimensions, most scientists lean toward 26. That is just a number that makes th math work out. We are obviously only familiar with 3, and 4 if you include time. There are therefore many other dimensions we have no perception of- one theory is they are too tiny to be noticed, like smaller than an atom tiny, but just a theory,

My problem with parallel universes is that there are just too many of them. I can accept there are some parallel universes where the Nazis won World War II... but if literally every possible combination is possible there are universes where the Nazis won World War II wearing pink slippers and riding on the backs of generically engineered flying bunny rabbits. And not only one such universe but near infinite numbers of such universes where the only difference is the color of the bunnies or the shoes.

If every combination is possible then why bother making the 'right' choices at all? In some universe it is inevitable I become President of the United Sates, and in some universe it is inevitable I become a drug addict, and somewhere I'm a serial killer, and somewhere else I'm a doctor... Am I even i control if every possible decision is played out in some parallel universe? I don't and can't buy that.

I suspect you are right but the theory...if it is even a theory is great. Iain Baines was asked to expand on the issue in an interview

In Transition your characters “jaunt” though space. How were they able to do that?

Ah. That is the multiverse theory, right there. I think. Or possibly the parallel universes thing. I recall being confused at the time. Patently I still am. When I’m asked this question “live”, as it were, I just keep waffling and waving my arms until people forget what the original question actually was. This, I am discovering, is harder in print. ... So ... Next question.

Michio Kaku on the other hand is a serious scientist who is passionate about the existance of parallel universes and he went online to chat about parallel universes.

If every combination is possible then why bother making the 'right' choices at all? In some universe it is inevitable I become President of the United Sates, and in some universe it is inevitable I become a drug addict, and somewhere I'm a serial killer, and somewhere else I'm a doctor... Am I even i control if every possible decision is played out in some parallel universe? I don't and can't buy that.
Ah, now you're crossing over from science to beliefs in the age old argument of free will versus destiny. ;)

Well, I don't think a multi-verse based on every possible decision will be feasible. Sounds like we are positioning ourselves as an important being / as a decisive force for the creation and flow of universes.

Making the right choices is still important though. Whats the good of saying I'm jobless here but somewhere in another parallel universe there is another rich version of me?

Steel erectors of skyscrapers in the US employ Native Americans because they hold the belief that fate awaits them (which as an aside is ironic. Native Americans that fought so hard to maintain their traditional inheritance built the Modern US that enveloped them). However, Native Americans believe that if they were meant to fall then they should meet their destiny head on.

Dreaming of being different helps us to become something different, even if we achieve this within an envisioned parallel universe that may or may not in reality exist. Newton dreamt that he had discovered the theory of gravity and Einstein dreamt of unifying the laws of gravity. Others continue where these two giants of science left off. Parallel universes may be no more than a dream....at the moment; but these dreams have the ability to shape our future!

Searching the web, as one does, I found this article on soap bubbles with discernible footprints that may provide a way of determining the presence or at least potential evidence of a perceptible shadow (in the cosmic microwave background) left behind by a parallel universe as it moves away from ours:-

"a team of scientists has found evidence that other universes, as well as our own actually lie within "bubbles" of space and time"

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/evidencepararelluniverse.php

Not such a crazy idea after all !

"a team of scientists has found evidence that other universes, as well as our own actually lie within "bubbles" of space and time"

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/evidencepararelluniverse.php
I have to make the reference, I just have to....

"It's on Orion's belt!"
Orions-belt.jpg

:eek::eek::eek: I actually "led 3 lives" at the same time for a couple months. I finally got out of it. It started with me listening to a tape on hypnosis. Apparently, that opened my mind to the fact that I was leading 3 lives....the one that most people see, and single, another where I had a house, picket fence and husband and kids and another where I was on a spaceship underground, parked in a tunnel, with the same husband and kids! :eek::eek: I was glad when that stopped! :eek::eek::eek:
I also had experiences where I went into 2 stores and everything "looked strange and different" Like being slightly out of focus. When I left the stores, everything returned to normal. In 1 case, I also had a slight bloody nose. Are those experiences different universes, or different dimensions? :confused::confused::cool:

Back