Evil

Or, perhaps certain missions will test your morality. Like, say someone's paid you to clear out a nest of pesky little goblin-type creatures. Well, you get there and it's just a mother and her baby. Assuming goblin-type creatures can talk, because, seriously, they should be able to, maybe they beg you "Just let us go! We'll leave and never come back!". And then you have to decide whether to do as the person who gave you the quest asked, or to let the little guys go. Maybe letting the guys go would be considered evil by faction leader, since they consider the goblin-type creatures to be evil, or maybe you're not a ----, so you let 'em go anyway.

Kuzzle said:
Or, perhaps certain missions will test your morality. Like, say someone's paid you to clear out a nest of pesky little goblin-type creatures. Well, you get there and it's just a mother and her baby. Assuming goblin-type creatures can talk, because, seriously, they should be able to, maybe they beg you "Just let us go! We'll leave and never come back!". And then you have to decide whether to do as the person who gave you the quest asked, or to let the little guys go. Maybe letting the guys go would be considered evil by faction leader, since they consider the goblin-type creatures to be evil, or maybe you're not a ----, so you let 'em go anyway.

Definately would affect your reputation with the faction.

Do I slaughter them because I am following orders? Do I let them go since really they are helpless and pitiful?

All good stuff.

In Gemstone the Dark Elves are divided into two Factions. The Dhe Nar and the Faendryl.

The Dhe Nar do not believe in the concept of good or evil. They believe in power or the "Way".
Everything is Knowledge. Knowledge is Power. Power is Everything.
If you are curious about the Dhe Nar http://noishorah.com/index.htm
If you had to equate them to a race in Wow, I would almost say they are similar to the Blood Elves. The only difference is the Dhe Nar are not necessarily evil. They can be but they are a proud organized culture.

The Faendryl are the politicians. And can be the reckless faction.

The Faendryl are a greedy lot, and quite snobby. ;) Their morals (morals?)
are quite questionable, and they will take any means necessary to achieve
their goals, no matter the cost. They're power-hungry, they scheme. Where
the Dhe'nar look to better their race by following the Way in order to
rise, as a race, to a status above the Arkati, the Faendryl have no such
lofty and even noble goals. They want power in the here and now, in this
world, and will do whatever they need to to get it.

This isn't to say that the Dhe'nar are all peaches and cream. ;) A Dhe'nar
will just as happily see you dead as a Faendryl would. But where the
Dhe'nar is more likely to slit your throat or stuff a bolt spell down your
neck, the Faendryl is more likely to look up from his book, stick his nose
in the air, sniff, blast you, and go back to his reading. So where the
Dhe'nar are arrogant, the Faendryl are snobbish.

If a Dhe'nar invites you in for a drink, you're likely to be drinking blood
wine from crystal glasses. If a Faendryl invites you in for a drink, it's
tea served from fine bone china. See the difference? Another way of saying
it is that Faendryl are politicians. The Dhe'nar don't care...build your
governments and your power structures. When we're looking down from above
being served by the Arkati, we'll see whose work got them further. But the
Dhe'nar are some of the people that split off when the Elven Houses formed
and the Faendryl didn't, and they believe in that political structure.
members.aol.com/tlkrn1/dhefae.htm

There is a lot more about the Faendryl but it is too much to post.

Which is evil. Both follow beliefs that further their cause.

Makkah said:
The dhe'nar should have never been made official...

Yep most I know roleplay arrogant bastards in game, but are good folks out of game.

However, if you get enough people that roleplay a faction or worship a diety that does not exist. Simu will adapt it into the game as permant.

Example. The Huntress didn't exist in Gemstone until enough people start to worship her. And as Makkah mentioned the Dhe'nar were another example.

WoW gave me a bloody hernia.

Who the hell dictates what languages we can and can't learn!? We can't even use hand signs!? There has to be utter constant animosity between the factions!? AAAUGH

*...cough*

Don't mind me. Ehe.

yeah not being able to communicate w/ the horde at all was a real pain in the a$$. there were times i was feeling extremely generous and would help a lower level horde and if i knew where something was he needed it took a min to get him to follow me. occasionally i wanted to even heal a horder who needed that one heal to win his fight and i couldnt.

The WoW language thing was made worse by the fact that during beta, you could communicate.

Without the ability to communicate, it was like half the game was taken away from both sides.

yeah not being able to communicate w/ the horde at all was a real pain in the a$$. there were times i was feeling extremely generous and would help a lower level horde and if i knew where something was he needed it took a min to get him to follow me. occasionally i wanted to even heal a horder who needed that one heal to win his fight and i couldnt.

/e nods and asks "do you need assistence?"

True it only works if both parties know how to communicate.

I actually thought the lack of communication a rather nice touch - most wars seem to happen between two parties of people who don't speak the same language, which results in breeding all sorts of myths and non truths about how monstrous and deserving of destruction the other side is. Being able to communicate effectively and realise the other side is probably not all THAT bad means the war would peter out mostly due to embarassment. So the idea of not being able to communicate in WoW or even being able to aid the other side was rather a nice touch, IF both states were actually truly at war with one another (which I understood accordingly to lore, they weren't).

What I didn't understand was, if Night Elves and Tauren both have access to Moonglade and taught one another the druid arts and other such things, they should definitely be able to communicate with one another. And "code talking" by use of handsignals between hunters also seemed to make sense to me.

I was disappointed when I realized I couldn't learn the Night Elf language as a tauren druid. My character spent much of his time trying to further the comradarie between druids of any faction- but he was always hamstrung by the fact that he could never just talk to the other faction. I had to settle for emotes and kind deeds to get the message across. Though I agree that the overall the language barrier was a good move, I just think there should have been exceptions, particularly within classes.

I'm not even just saying that because 'OMG I want droods 2 b sup3r aw3s0m3 L0Lz!' I think it would have been perfect for the game lore since it would have made the druids the go-betweens for the factions. Given that they obviously communicate with each other to deal with greater threats, they surely have one.

The overall "OMG YOU CANNOT SPEAK IT" language barrier just served to piss me off. It actually completely hindered RPing, as they utterly refused to allow any kind of IC or OOC communication between factions. That move effectively halved the available RPers (such as there were) and RP opportunities.

And they even had that one quest giver who learned orcish! But I couldn't!?

*beats WoW with a hate-hammer*

[admin edit]text removed[/edit]

It wasn't WoW's design to have the two factions simply cut apart from one another. During BETA they saw the trash talking ensue. They saw it still continue with the Undead could talk to both factions. They saw it when there were drops and tombs laying about to learn other languages. So they nixed it so that indeed, the barrier would promote pvp and a tad bit of suspense.
So an orc suddenly appeared on his warg and now he's dancing by you? He's just a couple levels higher, and looks pretty geared up. Should you attack for your faction's sake? Dance with him? Yell out for a herd of noobs to come and bite at his ankles.
Quite frankly I think it pained Blizzard to bend as much lore as they did to modify it for the MMO world. Look at their table top d20 books. All of what we know of WC1, 2, III, the Frozen Throne all of it was represented and set out to be explored. Whilst WoW, a lot of it was modified.
Too bad a COUPLE people can ruin things for the MASSES. Just because they have an itch and some ungodly need to scratch it.

I imagine it had more to do with your tone. And putting a few more snarky things into your sig line probably won't help will it, any more than typing ---- when everyone knows what you mean....

Back on topic however; since there's no evil, only factions, it does give a certain ambiguity to the whole thing which I'm rather looking forward to. I know all is supposedly fair in PvP, but as far as roleplaying (yes there's that evil word again), I imagine faction fighting may possibly turn out to get a bit messy, and i do hope people are able to take it all in stride.

I'm in ur bases, killing ur mens...and all that.

Back