Evolution of The Machine

Luciro, I actually agreed with most of that. But, I want an mmo with twitch combat. That's why I'm looking foward to spellborn, fallen earth, huxley, and the chronicle. I love the rpg experience but I want the combat and maneuvers to be twitch based. That being said, I will settle for DoT based (traditional and less skill heavy, yep less skill because it takes more skill to dodge and block manually than to have the computer calculate it for you, deal with it) combat as long as HJ delivers on the character customization it promises and doesn't become totally raidcentric at the end. I think the best way to "innovate" a mmorpg is to make it more like a single player rpg, integrate more of the depth of the single player experience into the mmo with the primary difference that it's online with a buttload of other players.

z80 said:
I think the best way to "innovate" a mmorpg is to make it more like a single player rpg, integrate more of the depth of the single player experience into the mmo with the primary difference that it's online with a buttload of other players.

/signed

I've always wondered why thats never done.

deserttfoxx said:
Stop with the medevil themes, and lets try modern, or futuristic. or even a mix of all.

This is why I was hoping Mythic's game Imperator was going to be made. I still do. Anarchy Online is the only futuristic Sci-Fi MMO out there that I know of and find it worth still playing to some degree. I was hoping Imperator would come out since we *need* another Sci-Fi MMO, and "What if the romans didn't fall?", along with current & futuristic technology would've, in my mind, made Rome a powerhouse...

At this point, I would love to see another game become more updated, both graphically and gameplay-wise, than Anarchy Online... like Anarchy Online2, or the fabled Imperator, which according to Mythic is "on the back burner at the moment". Soooo many fantasy medieval games I'm getting bored.

~ Jaraeth

z80 said:
... I want an mmo with twitch combat. ...

You and I are so not alike there hehehe :cool: Shadowbane is twitch, well kind of. How about a compromise? An option to use "click to move" or mouse/keyboard, and combat... well... I don't want my evade/parry/block to be based on my mouse/keyboard movement. I'm not sure how to come to a compromise there, though I'm open for suggestions.

... and yes, I am *terrible* at FPS games, and as such despise them. But that's me :rolleyes2: Most of my friends are PvP'ers and love twitch so I must be an oddball.

Cant have full twitch combat in any MMO. Allowing players to swing their own weapon is fine, and block is fine. But cant allow full control over dodge, block, evade, parry, simply because there are those who will get to the point where they will never be hit. There are people out there, me being one of them, who will master teh defnsive portion of a combat game if im allowed to do so, when i think of twitch combat control, i see games like Dead or alive, Tekken, most fighting games, were certain players start off weak. and become unstoppable, and some who never quite get the hang of it.

A full twitch combat game will leave people who arent used to face paced games in the dust, i know Jaraeth mention nemerous times that he would wannna deal with that type of combat, and i know where hes comming from. Theres prolly gonna have to be a certain medium, like what age of conan is doing. Allowing you to do all your button sequences for your attacks, and combo swings, but blocking, parrying and defnse is left to the game system. That way all you gotta concentrate on is your offense, let the game manage your defense. Of course you can still manually move out of the way, but you dont have to worry about timing that block to counter every swing your opponenet throws at you.

Jareth and Deserttfoxx. I'm not really talking about making HJ twitch based. That would change the game too much. The way I'm looking at it I'm talking about a new twitch based mmorpg for fans of that style of movement. People that love Tony Hawk: Pro Skater, Tekken, and Quake would feel right at home in that type of mmo. People like me and the countless other action game fans.

Oddly enough I'm also a fan of old school turn-based combat for the same reason I like twitch based combat. In Japanese style strict turn-based combat rpgs you must command your character to block/dodge/parry/etc in turn. It still takes vastly more skill than crappy DoT based combat.

As for sci-fi, I would kill for a Shadowrun mmo. I loved the old genesis version of Shadowrun and I am a huge fan of cyberpunk. Would also love a StarCraft mmo.

I agree with frosty that we shouldnt completely eliminate grindfests, i want to feel the pleasure of having spent years to get where i am, and it owuld just ruin that if someone could come in years later and catch up to me very soon. I love the incentive to try harder.

Yeah, I loved Shadowrun in video game format, novelizations, and playing table top with my pals. Hell I bought 3rd edition knowing very well I'd probably never get to play. But it's still an interesting read.

Also Shadowbane is NOT anywhere NEAR twitch combat. It's point click execute at a rather intimate level. You just select which move you wish to execute when you have the stamina to do so. Just like, most every other MMO. LoL

I'm hoping AoC has something very Oblivion like in it for the most part.

Also, yes, fast paced MMOs would leave some players in the dust. But shouldn't there be variety out there? There's a market for it and thankfully a few games are taking the helm.
I hope HJ has more than just a few spells tho' like that 'drawing a wall of fire' bit we saw many moons ago. Say a rogue zig zagging some damage through a group of mobs to safty. Or even a nature casting person placing up a wall of hedges to protect her party. MORE MORE MORE INTERACTION! There's can be enough! Looking like I want but not moving like I want? What'd be the use?

fmioeamoie

deserttfoxx said:
Cant have full twitch combat in any MMO. Allowing players to swing their own weapon is fine, and block is fine. But cant allow full control over dodge, block, evade, parry, simply because there are those who will get to the point where they will never be hit. There are people out there, me being one of them, who will master teh defnsive portion of a combat game if im allowed to do so, when i think of twitch combat control, i see games like Dead or alive, Tekken, most fighting games, were certain players start off weak. and become unstoppable, and some who never quite get the hang of it.

A full twitch combat game will leave people who arent used to face paced games in the dust, i know Jaraeth mention nemerous times that he would wannna deal with that type of combat, and i know where hes comming from. Theres prolly gonna have to be a certain medium, like what age of conan is doing. Allowing you to do all your button sequences for your attacks, and combo swings, but blocking, parrying and defnse is left to the game system. That way all you gotta concentrate on is your offense, let the game manage your defense. Of course you can still manually move out of the way, but you dont have to worry about timing that block to counter every swing your opponenet throws at you.

Actually, I think there could one day be a full twitch MMO. I think you could take a game like, GunZ: The Duel, and turn it into just that. But like you said, at some point people with master it defensively and never get hit, so therefore, the developers will actually have to watch the players and continue to update the game with more advanced computer controlled opponents and better AI.

I think Huxley is supposed to be a 'full twitch' MMO-FPS, where you get to develop your toon through 50-some levels for better skills/armor/weapons. Supposedly, though, a level 1 should still be able to kill a max level character fairly easily.

that sounds really stupid if a lvl 1 can kill a lvl 50 easily. If a lvl 1 can kill a lvl 50, the odds should at least be stacked greatly against him.

Yeah i agree with that cause even in the "real world" someone more experienced in self protection would be able to handle a very low experienced i should say attacker relatively easy in most cases. So someone at a lower skill level usually would have to ambush an experienced defender in order to be sucessful. And also if someone at a level 50 could be killed relatively easy by an level 1, that basically discredits all the work the level 50 worked for.

In Gunz the Duel, if a lvl 1 can beat a lvl 50 that means one of three things.

1.)That lvl 50 really sucks and either swapped kills or hacked his lvl.

2.)the lvl 50 happened to be in a gun battle and was ganged.

3.)That lvl 1 is actually a pro playing on an alt.

Back