Politics Excessive Force Used In Drug Search

All I'm saying is the police didn't have to overreact. A drug search could have been carried out with a little more restraint while still getting the job done. I wonder if some of those cops felt the same way.

I'm with you Ophelia. I will verify 100% that cops, especially young ones are very susceptible to becoming drunk with power and becoming abusive. Take it from someone who's been in the trenches, it's far more common than you think. It's not necessarily their fault, it's just a peril of the job that we as citizens have to be careful of and so far, to a certain extent have had to endure. They need to be counciled , monitored, screened and drug tested far more than they already are. Power corruption is a serious and dangerous problem. But it is a catch 22 because you don't want your police force to be a bunch of wimpys either. I guess that's why we elect politicians to figure all of this stuff out.

SydneyFan said:
All I'm saying is the police didn't have to overreact. A drug search could have been carried out with a little more restraint while still getting the job done. I wonder if some of those cops felt the same way.

I'm with you Ophelia. I will verify 100% that cops, especially young ones are very susceptible to becoming drunk with power and becoming abusive. Take it from someone who's been in the trenches, it's far more common than you think. It's not necessarily their fault, it's just a peril of the job that we as citizens have to be careful of and so far, to a certain extent have had to endure. They need to be counciled , monitored, screened and drug tested far more than they already are. Power corruption is a serious and dangerous problem. But it is a catch 22 because you don't want your police force to be a bunch of wimpys either. I guess that's why we elect politicians to figure all of this stuff out.
There are very few things that truly make me mad...dissing cops is one of them. I find myself almost laughing, though, dispite the fact I'm mad. This is what the media at large has done...there are thousands of cops out there most who day to day go about their jobs protecting people like you, even the young ones. But it's the few, and i'm talking very few, that aren't there for the right reasons that we hear about. We hear about the mistakes, the misunderstandings and the things that go wrong, but we never hear about the whole rest of the police force that do their jobs, protect the public and make our lives just generally safer. Am I denying the existance of bad cops? No, I couldn't but there are bad cops just like there are bad lawyers, bad doctors, crooked accountants-look in any field, there's the rotten apples out there. But, saying that cops are susceptible to being abusive to their authority is unfair. Do you know what these men and woman put on the line to make sure you can live your life the way you do?

Do you know what these men and woman put on the line to make sure you can live your life the way you do?

Get self righteous all you want. Be realistic and quit sugar coating things. The media never handcuffed me to the floor and beat me all night for no reason. The police have and that's not my only experience with them. They did it because they " thought" I was guilty of something. I've got lots of experience with them as an impartial observer.
Lets give your average joe a gun and a badge and then pile the worlds problems on them and watch the attitude develop. Most cops are of below average intelligence to begin with but forget about that and just figure that being human alone makes it nearly impossible for a twenty something chip on his shoulder bad ass to be compassionate about my life and my problems. Don't tell me what they do for me. They get up every morning and go to work for themselves and don't you ever forget it. Just like the teacher, the farmer, the fireman, the butcher ,the baker, the candlestick maker. :rolleyes: Yes the teacher. You may say the teacher does it for the kids but the bottom line is the teacher gets enjoyment out of teaching those kids. We are all selfish beings and we do what pleases us in varying degrees unless we have some form of "mental illness" and live lives of deprivation bent to gods will for "God" knows whatever reason. No, cops don't lay anything on the line for me. They get a paycheck, benefits, more prestige than they deserve, and a good pension. They do it for themselves. And I'm sorry but they are more prone to be abusers of power than almost any other profession. It's a hazard of the job and any cop will tell you that; especially any older, seasoned cop. Don't get me wrong, police are nice to have around, but not at all costs by any means.

those poor kids!!!
i can't believe the police had guns drawn! that would terrify me!!
"I've only had a gun pointed at me once before, and i don't particularly like it" -lauren to sark LOL

yea, i wouldn't particularly like it either! that's awful! they should have used a lot less force.

It might have been a little excessive but then, after seeing some teenagers these days it wouldn't surprise me they went in like that. Teenagers that were like the ones that were handcuffed adn possibly charged are the reason why so many people don't like teenagers today. They think were all the same. It's sad how only a few people ruin it for the rest of us.

Back