Exhibition of artwork

hayden

scribbler/scribe
not visited for a while -been busy:
:artist: got work at exhibition opening tomorrow: Middleton Hall, The Centre MK, Milton Keynes, (if you happen to be in England going up or down the M1 between now and Sunday)

my mothers a local artist up here in yorkshire, she is showing some of her watercolours at the Guild Hall in York this weekend coming up.

theres been a big thing with the BBC recently about artists covering scenery across the UK and the series of Digital Britain

BBC - A Picture of Britain - Home page

it's an accomplishment that the BBC are doing their bit for artwork before creativity instruction is dropped off the school syllabus. the Poet Laurete has recently said h is dismayed at the lack of creativity instruction in schools which might lead to less and less people getting into painting, writing, etc.

I thinks it's a shame that creativity is often stifled by the system -a lot of people being told you can't paint or whatever -as soon as you've made a mark you're creating something even if it is only for personal satisfaction. It is sad that a vast majoritory of people will never get the chance to find out what they have a natural apptitude for: be it art or ditch-digging. i'm one of the lucky few

yeah, i'm not sure what our nation holds in the future. the trend for modern art holds it's pupils close to insanity sometimes and patience, technique and respectability seems to have dissapeared.

when i was in school, between 81-84 (10-14 years old) i was in a boarding school studying towards 14 gcse's (most day schools here let kids do 8) and Craft Design and Technology taught clay, metal & plastics, art (drawing, watercolours) with our teachers being artists that lived on the premises and were able to keep a respectible roof over their heads whilst still producing their own work

from 84-86 i moved to a religious dayschool and our teacher was proficient but not an artist. we covered drawing, pastels, guache, screen printing.

writing was always low down on the list, with only poetry looked at even though a very narrow band of genre IMO.

the kids i talk to now in the UK say the art they are taught is half hearted and the only parts that are taught with any seeming respect are metalwork & plastics as they at least offer some path into a trade, moving on to joinery, brickying and plumbing.

i've known some artistic talent in people that has been gained outside of school by parents that combined a babysitting service like a youth club by sending their kids along to private, safer groups offering art classes. as to writing, i've known a few people pumping out modern poetry but it's mainly teen angst and not a career for them. i've never met another writer, i attended nightschool at GCSE level for english qualifications where pupils on the course had never read a novel in their life, at A level where half the class admitted to only having read one or two!

if you are already on the path to making something of yourself, you are lucky. if you care about your kids possibilities then you will find them clubs outside of school hours. as to writing, thats a personal thing and at least the internet is here to join up like minded people, although you still have to sort the wheat from the chaff (i might have posted in the past about certain "boys clubs" on international, large websites with writers areas where the real writers don't appear to get any feedback on their work, but certain groups of people are singing each others praises even though their submissions are not literate, not even enough for a comic book!)

Hayden, if you give me more advance notice than 24 hours in the future I'll promote your showings on the front page. :P

So how did it turn out?

Hi -the show went extremely well. I was only exhibiting but asked to sell originals, for prints, postcards, some commissions and even some offers of design work for interiors -everything crossed that I can get this going as it is a career change. This is one of the things I dreamed about doing when I was doing an Art & Design Foundation course all those years ago. horrifying thought -that was 31 years ago!

I still count myself as one of the lucky few. There seems to be more opportunity today for kids but no direction or its misplaced.

Back