Exteel: Beta Rebooted

So awhile I ago, I got into the beta of an interesting mech combat tactical FPS called Exteel, and made by NCSoft. I got my roommate hooked on it, and we had a blast playing. But then the beta went down and all news about the game kinda disappeared. There was talk of NCSoft canceling it, and we never heard about it again.

Until now.

I got an email that I missed for about a week that informs me Exteel is going into Beta again, and I'm invited back. Shweeet! So, anyone else played or looked at Exteel? What are your thoughts, reactions, etc?

~Dune~

One of my old friends from Ryzom has been playing Exsteel. I'm not much of a "mech" girl, probably about the only Japanese things I'm not into. Oh, that and Godzilla.

Does it use the PhysX engine/hardware? I thought I'd heard that it did

One of my old friends from Ryzom has been playing Exsteel. I'm not much of a "mech" girl, probably about the only Japanese things I'm not into. Oh, that and Godzilla.

Does it use the PhysX engine/hardware? I thought I'd heard that it did

Godzilla rules!!! I have always wanted to dress up in a giant monster suit and smash a model city that I built.

I played in the first Exteel beta.

The gameplay was kinda fun, but the equipment was extremely limited and the grind was distinctly Asian (read: godawful boring). It got old very quickly.

I won't be playing in the second beta.

I've been trying to play it, but I have this really weird lag. It is not my system. My system is far more robust than is needed.

Basically whenever I am playing, there is some huge bottleneck on the communications side. I will be running down a corridor and try to run around the corner, instantly lag back to the beginning of the corridor, run down it again, lag back again halfway down, then lag forward way into the far wall. If I try to shoot things, it won't fire for a few seconds, although I can run around. Then it will fire, long after I've stopped targeting something, and it will just keep firing until the weapons overheat.

Eventually, all my weapons functions just run into an unending lag, my character model stops jumping around, and I can't interact. Then I wait 30 seconds for the server to finish dropping me.

~Dune~

I wanted to give this game a try because I enjoy mechs. One of my favorite arcade games were Virtual On. But this looks like the typical asian MMO with grinding and upgrades you can purchase with real cash.

Back