Politics Facts About Rape

hotpot

The Bubbly
Through a Rapist's Eyes

A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:

1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They are

most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other

hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a

woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.

2) The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women whose

clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around to

cut clothing.

3) They also look for women on their cell phone, searching through their

purse or doing other activities while walking because they are off guard and

can be easily overpowered.

4) The time of day men are most likely to attack and rape a woman is in the

early morning, between 5 and 8:30a.m.

5) The number one place women are abducted from/attacked at is grocery store

parking lots. Number two is office parking lots/garages. Number three is

public restrooms.

6) The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and

quickly move her to a second location where they don't have to worry about

getting caught.

7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year

sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.

8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it

only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't

worth it because it will be time-consuming.

9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other

similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands. Keys are

not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use

them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.

10) Several defense mechanisms he taught us are: If someone is following

behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or

stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is

it, or make general small talk, I can't believe it is so cold out here,

we're in for a bad winter. Now you've seen their face and could identify

them in a line-up, you lose appeal as a target.

11) If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and

yell Stop or Stay back! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they'd

leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to

fight back.

Again, they are looking for an EASY target.

12) If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and

carries it with him wherever he goes,) yelling I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and

holding it out will be a deterrent.

13) If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can by

outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the

attacker either under the arm between the elbow and armpit or in the upper

inner thigh -- HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used

the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset

she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands - the guy needed

stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it;

it hurts.

14) After the initial hit, always go for the groin.. I know from a

particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is

extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him

want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is

that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble. Start causing

trouble, and he's out of there.

15) When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and

bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them

as possible.. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I

ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.

16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your

surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd

behavior,don't dismiss it, go with your instincts. You may feel a little

silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.

PLEASE READ THEN FORWARD THIS TO EVERY WOMAN YOU KNOW, IT'S SIMPLE STUFF BUT IT COULD SAVE HER LIFE

Even though this is meant to be tips for how women can protect themselves from getting raped, I think it ALSO reads as a "how-to" guide for potential rapists. I hope the wrong guy(s) don't read this.

nothing can really help you in case you are raped. especially if you are drugged. it doesn't matter how much martial arts you know or whatever. you can still be raped -_-

After the initial hit, always go for the groin..

LMAO! Works like a charm ;)

Thanks for the tips........I was stalked for years by a man through-out my high school years before we moved.

They due tend to go for young-innocent looking girls.......but every women should still take caution.

ANOTHER TIP!: I read about Ted Bundy (serial murderer of young women....has since been executed) and he said he lured women by putting casts on and pretending he was hurt.......than he would do something like drop some books near a woman, so she would pick them up and take them to his car......than he through her in the car and.....well you can guess the rest.

I know that's a pessimistic thing to say.....to not help people, but it's a sad world so always think about stuff like that.

~~Spongy!

KikiCourt said:
awww Spongy I'm sorry to hear that :( :xoxo:
Thank you :smiley:

But you'd be shocked at how much that happens....you will most likely know at least one person in your life who has been stalked.......I even had a friend, and when we were in Kingdergarden she was almost pulled into a van :eek:
BAM! I hate sickos!!!! :angry:

~~Spongy!

i wish i was like sydney or gaia and strong enough to teach rapists not to prey on women, but......i can't. and nothing can help you when you're drugged

i'm taking krav maga this summer, and you'd be surprized how much i've learned from alias. right now i'm weight lifting, so i can be really strong. i know that even sydney bristow can be caught, but i'm hoping that i'll be less of a target if i know how to kick, punch, etc...

My mom had a stalker... it made me very paranoid about things, but thankfully I have gotten over that and he has since died.

I think the main thing is just to pay attention to your surroundings and don't be afraid to fight back (not like that wouldn't be your first instinct anyway). That even goes about being drugged if you meant in the date rape sort of way...

Never leave your drink unattended. If you have to put it down and walk away from it, get a new one. Get your own drinks at parties! I've seen that so many times at house parties here on campus, girls who just met a guy will let him go get her drinks - not smart at all.

A big thing is not to be stupid. A lot of times bad things happen because you assume they wont happen to you.

Last year my roommate was raped by two guys because she walked home, alone, at night.

Don't put yourself in these situations.
ANd make sure you look out for your friends when you do go out. Don't let them go home with someone, they'll thank you later.

hotpot said:
My mom had a stalker... it made me very paranoid about things, but thankfully I have gotten over that and he has since died.

I think the main thing is just to pay attention to your surroundings and don't be afraid to fight back (not like that wouldn't be your first instinct anyway). That even goes about being drugged if you meant in the date rape sort of way...

Never leave your drink unattended. If you have to put it down and walk away from it, get a new one. Get your own drinks at parties! I've seen that so many times at house parties here on campus, girls who just met a guy will let him go get her drinks - not smart at all.
you'd be suprised, being awre doesn't always help and neither does being able to fight

Seriously, it's kinda scary how much Alias can teach you. While we were in over seas in a destination which shall remain un-named we were in the museum and I could see that there were a few rough looking guys trailing behind as we looked at exhibits, it was a public place but they still seemed to follow. If I've learnt one thing from Alias is to be more aware of my surrondings and the people on them.

Lucky they didn't make a move or anuything cos our tour guide was with us, but my little sis was really freaked about it that night and we were staying at a very not nice hotel that night. We didn't have an ajoining room with our parents and it felt quite unsafe so I took the chair from the room and lent it up and underneath the doorknob, a very 'Alias' move *chuckles*, which shall hinder anyone who enters cos its hard to turn the knob and then if they do turn it they have to get past an annoying chair... :P

ANd make sure you look out for your friends when you do go out. Don't let them go home with someone, they'll thank you later.

Oh yes, that's very true. My roommate freshman year (who was always my best friend from back home) went out one night with some of her other friends. She didn't come back that night, but I didn't really think anything of because she had stayed with them after going out before.

She came back the next morning and told me all about this guy she met at this party. He didn't even go to school here (he lived on the otherside of town and went to the local community college), but she went home with him and stayed the night with him!!! I know for a fact she was a virgin at that time, so she might have done everything but with him. I couldn't help but thinking, 1. How could she have been so dumb to do that? 2. How could her friends let her go off with some guy she didn't know? 3. What would she have done if he wouldn't have been cool with her 'everything but'?

I just wanted to scream "For the love of God, THINK!!!!!" :angry: :rolleyes:

Back