Politics Faking your own kidnapping.

My roommate and I were talking about the woman in Wisconsin who faked her own kidnapping and I thought the city should fine her the amount of money that was wasted on her search and he thought they should arrest her and charge her with a kidnapping because essentially she kidnapped herself.
Although I have issues with my roommates reasoning (i.e kidnapping is done against one's will etc) I thought it was an interesting point.

Any thoughts on this matter? If someone fakes a crime should they be charged with that crime or just fined...or nothing even though they wasted all kind of city money and put their friends and family through hell?

what? you are kidding me ... she faked her own kidnapping? :o_O:

what in the world prompted her to do that? :o_O:

OMG ... her parents were crazy looking out for her and that b**** would have been laughing how the entire city was on the look-out for her ... OMG, I can't believe it ...

She should be charged ... :angry:

Cops Accuse Student of Faking Abduction

MADISON, Wis. - Police accused a college student of faking her own disappearance Friday, saying she planted a knife in the marsh where she was found to make it appear she had been kidnapped.

"We don't think an abduction occurred at all," Madison police spokesman Larry Kamholz said.

University of Wisconsin sophomore Audrey Seiler, 20, was found cold and dehydrated but otherwise unharmed Wednesday in a marsh, four days after she disappeared. She told police she had been abducted from outside her apartment about two miles away, but surveillance video showed her walking out of the apartment wearing only sweats.

Investigators also obtained a videotape from weeks earlier showing Seiler buying the knife, duct tape, rope and cold medicine that she claimed her abductor used to restrain her.

Assistant Police Chief Noble Wray said Seiler used her computer to search Web sites for information about Madison parks and the extended weather forecast. In addition, he said, evidence indicated someone had used the computer during the four days she was missing, and at least two witnesses said they had seen her walking freely in the city during that time.

Wray declined to speculate on Seiler's motivation or her mental state; he said it was too soon to say whether she could face charges. Authorities are trying to construct a timeline of her movements, he said. Dane County District Attorney Brian Blanchard declined to comment.

Seiler also reported an unexplained attack in early February, telling police someone struck her from behind and knocked her unconscious.

Police estimated costs for the intensive manhunt would exceed $70,000, said Melanie Conklin, a spokeswoman for Mayor David Cieslewicz.

Earlier Friday, Wray disclosed that Seiler changed her story about what happened. She said she left her apartment building because she wanted to be alone and was kidnapped by a man with a knife elsewhere in Madison.

Detectives continued to pick apart Seiler's story, and two hours later, Wray held another press conference to say police didn't believe her.

Police said Seiler and her family were in an undisclosed location in Madison. "Dateline NBC" reported Friday night that Audrey Seiler was in a psychiatric facility.

Kamholz, the police spokesman, said he spoke with Keith Seiler for about an hour Friday after Wray's announcement. He said Keith Seiler feels badly about what police and everybody else went through, but was happy to have his daughter back.

On Thursday, Wray had acknowledged to reporters that "there may be inconsistencies" in the case. But he said then that the hunt was still on for a suspected abductor, and police issued a composite sketch based on Seiler's account.

Ryan Fisher, Seiler's boyfriend, had not noticed any signs that Seiler was unhappy or having problems, his brother David said.

"He didn't see this coming. But he says he loves her and wants to be there for her," David Fisher said.

Around Seiler's hometown of Rockford, Minn., stores still displayed signs saying "Welcome Home Audrey." Yellow ribbons were tied to nearly every mailbox and fence post along her street, and pink ribbons decorated the nearby bridge across the Crow River.

Rockwell's Family Cafe owner Sue Elsen watched Madison police lay out Seiler's lies on live television — but didn't feel betrayed. She said she felt sorry for Seiler's family, even for Seiler.

"She's a lost little soul," Elsen said.

No one answered the door at the Seiler home. Next-door neighbor Ken Kraft said all that mattered is that Audrey Seiler is safe. "We can deal with everything else later," he said.

What prompted her to do such a thing?

She should be fined all the money the city spent on searching for her. But I don't think she should be charged because she was kidnapping herself.

I live in Milwaukee, and the entire STATE was freaking out about this UW Madison girl. All of the profs here told us to pray for her. And now... we find out she was LYING?

However, I think she should pay the city for all that it cost looking for her, but not be charged. Obviously, there's something mentally wrong with her and I think lawyers in her defense would have a pretty easy time claiming an unfit mind.

i heard about this yesterday. In the news article, it just said that the police found evidence that she had bought a rope and duct tape to make it look like an abduction. At first, I didnt really understand it, I didn't see that she had faked it. I hadn't really known a lot about the whole thing, cuz why on earth would an 11-year-old be interested in the news? But now I DO know what happened, and I agree that she should be fined.

Well that's something. I find it quite sad that she would such a thing. She should definitely be fined but charged? Hmm... not too sure.

She should be fined and also given a LOT of community service time because all of those people spent so much time looking for her.

Yes I think that there should be a lot of community serivice involved.
I think it would only be fitting that once she is deemed mentally stable again the she be made to volunteer with the families of those who have missing children.

I think these people should be charged. I mean they wanted the crime, so they should get what comes of it. Maybe, that's just me. I don't know.

YEah..I agreee....I think she was just looking for some attention...and she should be fined......What sane person would do a stupid thing like that??

Existentialist said:
I live in Milwaukee, and the entire STATE was freaking out about this UW Madison girl. All of the profs here told us to pray for her. And now... we find out she was LYING?

However, I think she should pay the city for all that it cost looking for her, but not be charged. Obviously, there's something mentally wrong with her and I think lawyers in her defense would have a pretty easy time claiming an unfit mind.
I know. Seriously. I live in Racine, and people were handing out papers, and all kinds of stuff!!

I believe she should be fined!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wisconsin Woman Charged With Faking Abduction</span>

MADISON, Wis. - A college student accused of faking her own kidnapping last month was charged Wednesday with lying to police in what they suggested was a desperate attempt to get her boyfriend's attention.

Audrey Seiler, a 20-year-old sophomore at the University of Wisconsin, was charged with two misdemeanor counts of obstructing officers. Each charge carries up to nine months in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Seiler disappeared from her off-campus apartment March 27 without her coat or purse. She was discovered in a marsh four days later, and told police that a man had abducted her at knifepoint.

But police concluded Seiler made up the story after obtaining a store videotape that showed her buying the knife, duct tape, rope and cold medicine she claimed her abductor used to restrain her.

According to the criminal complaint, she broke down under questioning from police and said: "It just got so out of hand. I did not mean for it to. ... Everybody did so much for me."

Hundreds of people from Madison and Seiler's hometown searched for her after she disappeared, and her claim about an armed man touched off a major manhunt that authorities said cost the police about $96,000.

The criminal complaint depicts Seiler as a young woman upset by a fading relationship with her boyfriend, Ryan Fisher.

Friends said the two had been fighting, and Seiler's roommate, Heather Thue, told officers that Fisher did not pay as much attention to Seiler as she wanted. Seiler's mother told police her daughter had not been herself lately and was "extremely needy" of Fisher.

Three days before she disappeared, her laptop was used to log onto Fisher's e-mail account and read exchanges "with romantic overtones" between him and another woman, according to the complaint.

A message left at Seiler's home in Rockford, Minn., was not immediately returned. The family's attorney was traveling and did not immediately return calls.

Seiler had been under a doctor's care after she was found, but returned home last week. "Dateline NBC" reported that she was in a psychiatric facility.

Seiler had also reported an unexplained attack in February, saying she was struck from behind and left unconscious. But the complaint does not say whether police believe that attack was also fabricated.

o yeah!! I heard bout this. What a waste of resources. She should be fined all the money it cost to investigate her "kidnapping" and then some. People might not act as quickly next time something serious happens. She's like the boy who cried wolf.

omg!!! i was paging through the serious discussion pages, when i came upon this one... and this happend right in my home town!! like i can walk to the marsh where she hid out... whoa it was really freaky and i didn't go out at night because i thought there was someone kidnapping people!!! but what an idiot, fakeing her own kidnapping! :rolleyes:

i once faked my own kidnapp along with a couple of friends of mine but we just call another friend.
i mean it was a joke. then she started to cry and we felt like hell so we called her back and told her that everything was just a joke. she got a little angry but then she understood that we just wanted to scare her a little bit.

i´m really not agree with what the women in wisconsin did tough.

Another case featuring that bug-eyed Jennifer Wilbanks or whatever her name was. Thank goodness they are fining her. I'd put her in prison for the problems she's caused

Jaimie said:
Another case featuring that bug-eyed Jennifer Wilbanks or whatever her name was.  Thank goodness they are fining her.  I'd put her in prison for the problems she's caused
[post="1403965"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree. The really disgusting thing is she is now profiting from this whole ordeal. She is receiving $500,000 dollars in advance to write her 'life story'. You couldn't pay me half a million dollars to read her life story.

It's sickening that someone who caused so much trouble can get that sort of money to write a book about their life.

Back