Falling Down

This is a short one-parter (potentially longer) thing I wrote while procrastinating. "The Telling" scene continuation. So, if you haven't seen it, there are spoilers!

“You’ve been missing for almost two years,” Vaughn said trying to control his voice, which was rife with emotion.

A look of shock and pain crossed Sydney’s face. What did he mean that she had been missing for two years? That was insane. Was it even possible? Why couldn’t she remember anything?

If fears what makes us decide,
Our future journey,
I’m not along for the ride,
Cuz I’m still yearning
To try to touch the sun,
My fingers burning,
Before you’re old you are young,
Yeah, I’m still learning

“What do you mean I’ve been missing for two years?” Sydney asked tears welling up in her eyes. “You mean to tell me that I’ve been gone for two years and no one ever found me?”

“Sydney, we looked and looked for you. I was at the Ops Center for days on end. Eric had to literally drag me home to make me eat and sleep,” Vaughn said trying to make her understand. “Even then, I couldn’t sleep at night. I kept having these tormenting dreams about you. I would wake up after only a few minutes in a cold sweat, frantically looking around for you-”

Sydney cut him off, raw emotion in her voice. “And how long did you wait for me? A few weeks, maybe a month before you found someone else? I thought you cared about me!” She said, the anger building in her voice.

“Sydney,” Vaughn said pleading now. She turned her head abruptly away.

“I don’t want to hear it!” She yelled. “I believed in you. I trusted you! And the second I disappear, you just turn your back on me. I thought I knew you better than that Michael Vaughn! I really thought that I did.”

I am falling down
It feels so good to hit that ground,
You can watch me,
Fallin on my face,
It’s an uphill human race
and I am falling down

Her harsh tone of voice cut him to the quick. He lashed out at her in an anguished rage. “Sydney, that’s not fair! How can you even say that? You don’t even know what kind of suffering I went through. I was the first one to come looking for you and when I found your house in disarray, I assumed the worst. I felt like I had been mowed down with a machine gun. I was the first to cry. I was the first one-”

“You were the first one to give up,” she said, her voice low and cold.

I am standing out in the street,
The earth is moving,
I feel it under my feet,
And I’m still proving,
That I can stand my ground,
And my feet are there, haven’t washed my hair
To be lost before you are found,
Don’t mean you are losing

“Sydney- Wait, I’m not even going to respond to that comment. That was mean and, and hurtful and you know it’s not true,” he said, trying to recover a stronger, fighting voice. He didn’t want there reunion to start with tears of hate and anger, but if that’s the way she wanted it, that’s they way she was going to get it.

“You know what Vaughn,” she said, her lips trembling. Her face had red splotches all over from crying. “I truly would like to believe that. I honestly would. But why did you do it? Why did you do it? Why?” her voiced trailed off, her body was heaving up and down with her loud sobs. She rocked back and forth clutching her knees close to her chest and burying her face.

Some day I’ll live in a house
Etc., etc., etc.
Don’t you know that’s not for now
And for now I’m falling
Down…down…down…,
Down…down…down,
Down…down…down,
Yeah e Yeah…Yeah e Yeah

His heart went out to her. He stood up wanting to go over a comfort her. He got right to next to her and crouched down trying to look into her face, which was covered by her hands. He wrapped his arms around her. Sydney tried to resist at first, but after only a few seconds, she flung her arms around his neck and sobbed into his shoulder.

I’m falling down,
I’m falling down…I’m falling down…
I’m falling…

Music by Avril Lavigne; "Falling Down"

Back