Sci-Fi Falling Skies

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Falling Skies

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2011-06-19

Creator: Robert Rodat

Cast: Noah Wyle, Moon Bloodgood, Will Patton, Drew Roy, Connor Jessup, Maxim Knight, Colin Cunningham, Sarah Carter, Mpho Koaho, Doug Jones

Overview: Falling Skies opens in the chaotic aftermath of an alien attack that has left most of the world completely incapacitated. In the six months since the initial invasion, the few survivors have banded together outside major cities to begin the difficult task of fighting back. Each day is a test of survival as citizen soldiers work to protect the people in their care while also engaging in an insurgency campaign against the occupying alien force.
Falling Skies

Our twitter account followers have already heard about "Falling Skies" and now here's the latest trailer for it.

The new series, starring Noah Wiley of ER fame, deals with mankind trying to survive after an alien attack has decimated most of Earth's cities. It is a bit Independence Day and a bit Jeremiah.

Falling Skies will be airing on TNT this summer. Steven Spielberg and Dreamworks Entertainment are producing.

"we're gonna split up, we're gonna run, we're gonna survive" was that Dale Dye?
As the US military leader? Yep, that's him. It has been a few years but a lot of people recognize him from the excellent Band of Brothers mini-series as well as several other military roles.

I first became aware of him after reading Citadel and Outrage. Then I started to see his name in film credits and finally spotted his readily identifiable face playing military types. He sounds like a really solid guy and a useful military expert for films.

I definitely plan on watching it when it debuts on TNT......come to think of it, one good thing Falling Skies has going for it is that its' debuting on TNT, which at the moment seems to be one of the two best networks for new shows to debut on(the other being USA). God only knows what the show might've turned up as if the powers-that-be had decided to debut it on one of the big-4 networks or, even worse, SyFy........

Too bad TNT won't bring back Witchblade, though...

If I recall, Aston, the reason TNT cancelled Witchblade back in 2002 had less to do with ratings(the show was pretty popular, garnering an average 2.0 Nielsen rating throughout its' 2-season run) and more with the fact that when your lead actor checks herself into alcohol rehab twice during episode filmings(effectively throwing production schedules into the wastebin), it kinda' makes network execs' none the happier and gives them an excuse to cancel the show, ratings notwithstanding.......

E! Online: Witchblade Sliced By TNT

Oopsie...guess I hadn't heard that at the time.
All I knew was that it looked like (and thought I'd read at the time) they were switching to a more drama-based lineup around the time they canceled it...

As for Falling Skies, finally got time to watch the premiere...I enjoyed it enough to keep watching a few more episodes. Interesting take on a post-apocalyptic Earth...though they don't seem to be able to maintain their plot line regarding the EMP (as far as my understanding of how an EMP works). Wouldn't that have destroyed electric starters (among other systems) in vehicles as well?

Oopsie...guess I hadn't heard that at the time.
All I knew was that it looked like (and thought I'd read at the time) they were switching to a more drama-based lineup around the time they canceled it...

As for Falling Skies, finally got time to watch the premiere...I enjoyed it enough to keep watching a few more episodes. Interesting take on a post-apocalyptic Earth...though they don't seem to be able to maintain their plot line regarding the EMP (as far as my understanding of how an EMP works). Wouldn't that have destroyed electric starters (among other systems) in vehicles as well?

I think it was one those "public-private" things network execs' have to do(publically announce a show's cancellation for one reason or another in order to hide another reason that would not reflect favorably in the public's eye on either the actor/actress's indisrections or on the network bosses' themselves) in order to cover themselves in the court of public opinion. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

As for Falling Shies.........it seems to be a pretty good show 2 weeks in; I'll be surprised if they don't renew for a second season. Granted, there are a few plot holes at present(the EMP one comes to mind as well.....) but I suspect that they're hoping the audience likes the show enough to forgive them a few mistakes here and there........

I'd really like to watch this show but I see on the news people living in refugee camps because of the natural disasters and wars in this world, and combined with the sad stories my best friend's mother's experiances in a refugee camp when Palestine was attacked after the end of World War 2....all those bad thoughts surface of other peoples troubles. I just can't bring myself to watch a show like this and enjoy it.

With the first three episodes shown, so far it has been holding my interest. Some characters seem a bit cliched... eg: Weaver being the tough military commander who secretly has a heart, Pope being the criminal element that comes off as charming at times but can not be trusted... so it'll be interesting to see if the first few episodes are just normal growing pains of a new series or if this is as good as it gets.

To the writers credit though the communications method of the Skitters is something I haven't seen before.

Falling Skies - Sanctuary (Part 1)

I watched the sixth episode, Sanctuary (Part 1), last night and was a little disappointed. :eek:

For me the episode just had too many cliched scenes... Weaver & Jimmy bonding, a convenient attack to convince parents to seperate the kids, the peaceful doctor seeing her injuries & picking up her gun, the mystery prisoner shown at the end of the episode, the old friend suddenly showing up with orders that can't be verified, parents reluctant over the plan until a convenient attack happens, and so on. Unlike the prior five aired episodes I think I was able to predict just about everything that was going to happen in this one.

With only a few more new episodes slated for 2011, and the next season not scheduled to start until the Summer of 2012, I sure hope the writers just hit a small stumbling block with this story arc or else there may not be as many viewers coming back next year.

I really liked this show. I hope it doesn't get canceled.
Season Two has already been ordered for the summer of 2012, it is just question of whether the audience will stick around of if it will suffer the same fate as ABC's remake of V.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database
Back