Fantasy books involving politics.

George R. R. Martin's series named A Song of Ice and Fire has a lot of political stuff in it. It's probably my favorite series for human scheming. He does a great job of character building where he writes from each character's perspective. So you see their justification for their actions.

However, the series isn't finished and it seems that he's stopped writing. The last book in the series was published in 2005 and now 5 years later he hasn't written anything. So even though it's a good read you may never see the ending.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Shadow series is actually scifi, but it deals very heavily in politics. Also, Graceling by Kristin Cashore has quite a bit of political intrigue.

The Dune series is Sci Fi but does deal heavily with politics, some great insights in there too. On fantasy, Zavant is pretty good, Hobb's assassin books, the Lies of Locke Lamora as well. For just sheer vicious byzantine political maneuvering in Sci Fi though, you cannot beat the Gap series.

The Hunger Games (movie adaption coming soon) may also be a good candidate.
The Hunger Games is a young-adult science fiction novel written by Suzanne Collins. It was originally published on September 14, 2008, by Scholastic. It is the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy. It introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once stood. This is where a powerful government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to fight to the death. The Hunger Games exist to demonstrate not even children are beyond the reach of the Capitol's power.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series addresses his own personal political views while writing a phenomenal piece of High Fantasy. I highly recommend them... the bonus is he's just released a new book in the series too - The Omen Machine.. which is now on my kindle just waiting for me to stroke.. *ahem* read :D

Back