Web Stuff fatcow shared hosting pros and cons

I would like to launch a discussion on FatCow.com with all of you here. From my own personal experience with its cheap hosting, fatcow has various good and bad points which I need to comment.

Pros:
  • cheap hosting at USD3.95 per month
  • excellent livechat customer support
  • good offline technical support even without permium support
  • unlimited bandwidth and allowed memory size
  • pre-installed softwares like wordpress, joomla etc.
  • excellent and easy to manage cpanel
  • unlimited email hosting
  • facebook, google, and yahoo advertising credits at $50, $100, and $25 respectively to push start your website

Cons:
  • frequent server downtime, although short like 3 to 10 mins, but I register like 94% downtime with my pingdom downtime monitor every month which will check every 5 minutes.
  • during US daylight timing, the server response time can slow from 0.5secs to as long as recorded 7secs. This is scary.
  • customer support officer although polite, can never make the direct decision of offering you compensation for problems with their host. Never believe what they promise.
  • twice I faced major downtime: once took up to 2 days, the other was for 8 hours. For people who cares about the uptime of their websites, make sure you get other host. This problem is due to the sharing and overlap of bandwidth from other shared hosting to your sector. That's the problem with UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH...

Yes, although the number of pros outnumber the cons, but I can say for people who are thoroughly reliant on your websites or e-shop for sales, these major downtime can kill your sales within one night. But for those who just need a personal or club websites, fatcow is comfortable for you due to its economical advantage. :smiley:

Would like to hear more experience from the other members!

The greatest advantage of FatCow is that they are one of the oldest web hosting companies. They have only one plan and it is priced at $3.67 I believe. It is very affordable.

Back