Web Stuff Favorite forum software?

Free: My favorite free forum software is phpBB because of the looks!

Paid: My favorite paid forum software is IPB because it has one of the best ACPs out there and they have good security!

IPB is nice, but I haven't seen any software that compares to myBB. It really allows for more customization.

I think vBulletin is the best overall, but for small forums myBB is a good place to start.

My favourite forum software would have to be MyBB as well. It's free (open-source actually), clean, fully featured and the AdminCP is very easy to use. :smiley:

I currently use vBulletin, IPB and MyBB. Out of the three I like the vB 3.X series and the latest IPB. I'm just launching communities with MyBB so I don't have enough hours working with the code yet to have an opinion.

If MyBB gets Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect, then it will win for sure. Nonetheless its simplistic Admin CP IPB 3 is also a good choice. It's got excellent SEO out of the box along with Facebook/Twitter Connect as well.

I kind of find phpBB is not modern enough - it lacks AJAX features (ie. you don't need a second reload for quick reply) and a proper plugin system that does not need re-edits after upgrades. I have a problem with vBulletin more though, as Internet Brands really pushed it with their price increasements, bloatware (in vBulletin 4), and its ridiculous TOS (they want your ad info).

MyBB is the best IMO.

I was keen on vB3 but it's becoming dated and vB4 is awful. I've never really been a fan of IPB.

Xenforo is looking like a strong contender, will be interesting to try that out when it's released.

What is your favorite forum software?
After working with XenForo for some time, I really like it over vBulletin. It is not as feature-rich as vBulletin but for anybody looking for a really nice 'down to basics' forum package then XenForo is worth considering.

For free packages, I would likely have to recommend MyBB at this point. The support forums are bit iffy if you need help but for a free open-source project it is pretty good.

Back