Favorite Game Scores

Azdel

Cadet
So, which games do you think had the best musical scores? What were your favorite tracks? Why do you like them? Don't feel like you have to limit yourselves to one if you can't decide.

My favorite score is that of LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue Complete. I swear, Noriyuki Iwadare is the best composer I've ever heard! He doesn't just write sad songs for sad scenes, or happy songs for happy scenes, he really gets inside the characters' heads and conveys their feelings in a way that actually instills them in the player.

Now my favorite tracks:

"Omni-Zophar"

http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=5bb3b84ae4e6a116bff8773cb90aeb98

This is the theme from phase three of the showdown with the main villain. It's ominous as you might expect, but at the same time, you can hear tones of hope and determination. It's my favorite boss theme ever.

"Stardragon"

http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=439d38f6360209ceed30a023d9a61ad8

This song is played during the final battle of the game's epilogue, when the main character is confronted with a being much greater and far less comprehensible than himself, and yet refuses to back down.

"Dragonmaster Ghaleon"

http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=6deb4174515b08c4bee8b113ad2e9eee

I suppose I would say this is my favorite track out of all of them. It's the theme for my favorite character, Ghaleon. It's also the only theme I've ever heard that actually summarizes it's subject. It's simply brimming with his arrogance and power and it sets the perfect tone to accompany his imposing presence.

Also of note is a track from LUNAR 1.

"GO! GO! GO!"

http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=6c58199a29cc9c059474e5d812e4f72f

This is a very unusual track. It's the endboss theme, but it's not ominous or overbearing, nor is it some overly-intense butt-rock tune. It's more of an upbeat tune that conveys the passion in the heroes' souls, the fire in their hearts and their undying will to overcome all odds. It's the most atypical endboss theme I've ever heard, because it doesn't make you think "Oh God, can I do this," but rather "Oh yeah, let's do this!" It really gets the blood pumping.

Okay, now you guys.

Hmm.. I still find myself humming the FFVII theme song from time to time... there is a Techno song using that incorporates it too. I need to find out the name of it so I can get it.

I like the LOTRo soundtrack so far.

I should pay more attention to the music.. I know it really helps me become immersed in a world. I definitely notice when it is lacking or the music is sub par. I guess that is a good sign that the score isn't overbearing in many games, which it should not be.

I have never heard of the tracks you mentioned, though.

I hope Conan uses music from Conan The Barbarian movie.. that is one of my favourite movie soundtracks.

/ramble

Halo
I loved the music of Halo. It was supremely well done and gave the game quite a different feel than most first person shooters. Instead of heart pounding music that is so over-done in the genre, they went with a wide range of moods, perfect for the settings and events.
Much of it was creepy, perfect for sneaking around with tons of flood on the loose. Even the music for pitched battles was understated, letting the actual events drive your adhrenaline- it enhanced the mood, instead of forcing it.

I'd say 'Dust and Echos' was my favorite track overall. It just has such wonderful ambiance to it- uplifting but still rather quiet.

Homeworld

Though the music in this entire game is very quiet and is almost entirely drifting and melodic, it has always resonated with me. The use of beautiful but sad choirs and strings was just perfect for the events of the game. Because it did drift along so much you got the sense of going into the unknown with the people on the ship- and when battle music did kick in, you never knew what was going to be thrown at you next and really got a sense of danger and urgency.

And heck, they got Yes to do the closing song 'Homeworld'- which I count as one of my favorite "newer" songs by the group. It also appears in their album 'The Ladder'- which in turn had a promo for the game on the cd and had kiith symbols on the cover.

There are many other games with music that I've loved but these are the two that come most to mind when asked.

Shadow of the Colossus. Yes, I continue to bring this masterpiece up. It was that good. The music REALLY made you feel like an ant taking on a giant.

The FFVII boss song "Those Who Fight Further." I don't really like the original but instead the version done by The Black Mages.

I hate every sound that ever came out of a DDR machine.

hrhrhr I KNOW this doesn't count, but I'm gonna put it here because I'm that horrible:

We Don't Die - Twiztid
from Backyard Wrestling: Don't Try This At Home

I haven't played the game, but Twiztid is good and so is that song.

I just felt like mentioning it. :D

hrhrhr I KNOW this doesn't count, but I'm gonna put it here because I'm that horrible:

We Don't Die - Twiztid Backyard Wrestling: Don't Try This At Home

I haven't played the game, but Twiztid is good and so is that song.

I just felt like mentioning it. :D

Why wouldn't it count? If it was part of the game's score, then it's fair. Besides, it is a good song!

Metal Gear Solid, the over all theme I loved.
Halo's score is equal to anything Hollywood's tossed out there.
Shadow of the Collosus I'll agree with.
I think God of War I's soundtrack is one of the more unique.
Not a lot else to the game but Suikoden IV's is really varied and pretty hot on a lot of fronts.
Breath of Fire III had the most unique soundtrack for a RPG ever.
Super Double Dragon from the old school days.
WarCraft 3 for a RTS game had some pretty nifty score and event based music pieces.
Oh and the music from the Conan movies are probably some of the best classical music pieces made in the last 50 years. Basil Poledouris.. \m/ ----in' eh!

This song isn't from a game but it's about them:

Dungeon Master - Jumpsteady

Um, it would have an M rating though, just a warning if you can find it on a radio online or something.

Back