Favorite horror author?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Which horror author will you always read? For me it's Stephen King. I know, I know... he is a mass market author that at times seem to be more about quantity versus quality but amongst the volume of titles are some gems. Talisman and The Stand, for example, are standout works. Some would put forth The Dark Tower series but those novels bounce around a few different genres.

So what about you, what author can't you say no to? :bookworm:

I gotta also go with Stephen King. I have not read any of his recent stuff but the classics like "It" and Pet Cemetary are some of my absolute favorites.

It's a no brainer for me: King is the modern master. Poe's work is also interesting, but King's body of work touches all the bases: suspense, terror, drama and touches of humor.

It's a no brainer for me: King is the modern master. Poe's work is also interesting, but King's body of work touches all the bases: suspense, terror, drama and touches of humor.
Poe makes for good reading and it is interesting that his role in pop culture has been slowly evolved from that of an author to a character with his own mystery & intrigue surrounding him. I can't help but wonder if at some point in the future Stephen King will start becoming a larger-than-life character as well.

I'll admit... the clown from It still freaks me out a bit. :blush:
Since I have already admitted that the clown from It freaks me out, I'm not sure what I'd do if I witnessed a clown killing somebody in a parking center with a giant hammer and then chasing me. :eek:

Don't like King. too political. (I did enjoy The Stand).
for me I gues James P. Blaylock, esp 'Homonculus' and the sequel 'Lord Kelvin's Machine'. (steampunk/horror).
'Digging Leviathan' is my favorite (set in 1960s California). He has several modern-day books that might be called suburban horror (All the Bells on Earth, The Silver Coin, The Paper Grail). I like the bizarre-occurences-in-the-real-world themes.

*thinks about question* Favorite horror writer...it would either have to be (in no particular order): Dean Koontz, Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft. :cool:

I really enjoyed a fellow named Steven Shrewsbury...and honestly, the way he constantly put out new material inspired me to do the same with my Aston West character. Loved his Dack Shannon tales, even if they weren't truly hardcore horror.

HP Lovecraft is my vote for favorite. I like King's earlier works (the last book of his I read was Delores Claiborne) and I really like Dean Koontz's novels.

Back