Favorite MIA Alias Characters May Return

Azalea

Azy in Wonderland
Favorite MIA 'Alias' Characters May Return
(Thursday, March 04 04:24 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - For "Alias" fans looking for favorite characters like Lena Olin's Irina Derevko or Bradley Cooper's Will Tippin, this has been a somewhat disappointing season.
Derevko has been reduced to an entirely off-screen presence, a deus ex machina character still invariably capable of providing answers and support. Communicating only via e-mail and instant messages, she has just become another name on Jack Bristow's (Victor Garber) AIM Buddy List.

After nearly dying at the end of last season, Tippin disappeared into the witness protection program. He returned for a single episode as a Village People-style construction worker and then went undercover as a Village People-style cowboy, but despite fleeting stint as Sydney Bristow's (Jennifer Garner) love slave, he hasn't had much of an impact.

While there are no immediate plans for either Olin or Cooper to return, "Alias" creator J.J. Abrams is hopeful that both actors, and their popular characters, will return.
The show's unsuccessful attempts to negotiate with Olin this fall were well publicized, but Abrams has worked hard to get the actress onto the show in the past. He first decided that Olin the ideal choice to play Sydney's mother halfway through the first season and tried to get her to sign on for an appearance in the first season finale. Instead, the show's casting director had to stand in.

Olin's work on the second season earned her an Emmy nomination.

"I feel it's inevitable she comes back," Abrams says. "How and when, I don't know yet."

Things are more complicated with Cooper, who has become increasingly busy this year with appearances on shows like NBC's "Miss Match" and USA's upcoming "Touching Evil." Abrams insists that he doesn't want to bring Cooper back just to have him around. He knows that the fans can turn on Will when he's just spinning his wheels.

Back in the first season, when Tippin was in the middle of his protracted investigation into the death of Sydney's fiance, the show got bags of complaints.

"Ultimately we were getting so much hate mail," Abrams recalls. "'Please Kill Bradley Cooper.' We assume they meant Will."

Abrams still says that he can't wait to have Cooper back in the future.

Meanwhile, one person "Alias" fans shouldn't expect to see on the show is Abrams' "Felicity" star Keri Russell. While "Alias" has welcomed many "Felicity" alums in the past -- their ranks include Garner, Greg Grunberg, Kevin Weisman and Amanda Foreman -- Russell remains a hold-out.

"I've asked Keri if she'd ever do it and I get this giggle and she hangs up," Abrams says.

agreed. it would be great to see anna back. the rivalry between her and sydney was interesting.

i really miss will though. this season we don't see any of sydney's life outside of work. with francie dead and will in protective custody, it seems like sydney has no life and it's just too sad. BRING BACK BRADLEY COOPER!! please? ;) :rolleyes:

"I feel it's inevitable she comes back," Abrams says. "How and when, I don't know yet."

Well, that sounds really firm . . .
:lol:

verdantheart said:

Well, that sounds really firm . . .
:lol:
Poor J.J... ^_^

KateJones47 said:
Whatever happened to Anna Espinosa? That'd be a great character to bring back.
She was a very cool nemesis, but she apparently disappeared after Sark destroyed K-Directorate back in Season 1 and focus shifted to "The Man". Also, like Bradley, Gina Torres has become a busy actress, from appearing in the "Matrix" sequels, to FOX's "Firefly" last year and now "24" :(

I would love for Will to come back. Not as a romantic interest, but as a good friend to Sydney. The show is lacking in that department.

ETA- Of course I would love for Lena to come back as well. Part of me thinks she just isn't coming back and part thinks JJ is just waiting to drop a bomb on us, like at the end of season 1.

As far as Ms Olin is concerned, all I have to say is, don't toy with us. We've had enough grief. Until you have her signed, sealed, and footage in the can, she's not coming back.
:hmm:

verdantheart said:
As far as Ms Olin is concerned, all I have to say is, don't toy with us. We've had enough grief. Until you have her signed, sealed, and footage in the can, she's not coming back.
:hmm:
yeah, well said ... :angry:

maybe you could just have her come back for the season finale ... and let Syd kill her ... but thats something ... :lol:

Now, the Lena fans are coming after me ... :run:

I've always wanted to see Syd's fiancee, Danny (??), from the first season come back. I have no idea why: probably for the shock value, if no other reason.

in another thread, there's news about spymommy coming back under negotiations. i hope it's really true.. i mean, wouldn't you love to see her maybe in the finale of this season? that would be a major surprise for all lena fans!!! let's just cross our fingers that lena reconsiders.. ;)

ya but would anna still be working for the k-directorate or whoever she was working for in the beginning or will she be working for the covenant. And also what if Will was to be going out with the person that is still to come in the near future...possibly in ep 19..

Azalea said:
"Ultimately we were getting so much hate mail," Abrams recalls. "'Please Kill Bradley Cooper.' We assume they meant Will."
This kinda baffled me. I don't share that opinion by any means. Will is one of my favorite characters, whom I'm disappointed isn't a part of the newer episodes.

It seems like Sydney has no life, it's just so sad.
I totally agree, even when she was in SD-6 she had true friends. Either she should actually do something fun (like put-put golfing) with Weiss, or Jim Lennox should come back. I know he was only on for one episode, but sydney and him did hit it off. And Sydney could hang out, without having to think/mope about Vaughn all the time.

Back