Favorite quotes about books?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
What are some of your favorite quotes about books?

I'll start with one by Stephen King. :smiley:

Stephen King said:
Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn’t carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.

There's a quote by Carl Sagan that comes to mind whenever I think about books and the impact they can have....
Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew each other. Books break the shackles of time, proof that humans can work magic. Cosmos (1980)

...and then there's one by French author Romain Rolland that I think expands on Sagan's quote above....
No one ever reads a book. He reads himself through books, either to discover or to control himself. And the most objective books are the most deceptive. The greatest book is not the one whose message engraves itself on the brain, as a telegraphic message engraves itself on the ticker-tape, but the one whose vital impact opens up other viewpoints, and from writer to reader spreads the fire that is fed by the various essences, until it becomes a vast conflagration leaping from forest to forest. Journey Within (1947)

While surfing researching a few different things today I stumbled across quote on a T-Shirt at ThinkGeek.

From the character Henry Tilney in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey...
Jane Austen said:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

Back